Gen 2 modifications 2013 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Gen 2 modifications 2013

Well, I now own my i2 and want to try somethings to make it more drivable, more fun maybe even more fuel efficient?

CAI? I do not see a CAI for the I2, but I do see it for the crz. It looks like most of them will fit. Being a scion owner I was impressed with weapon r. Weapon r has a dual tube design that looks interesting.

Boring out the throttle body? I see places online do this and then there is the option of going to a crz tb and hope it fits. Boring out the tb any good? What if its 100 bucks?

PHEV kit? Adding mo power to the IMA system? I had an enginer kit and it did work for both. More assist and mo mpg. It use a battery, charger, battery monitor and converter to feed the car. The IMA system used 117 volts adn 17 amps in my setup. Anyone know of a good source of stackable power supplies that can be power from 12-48 volts or so and stack to give 117 volts?

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Has this already been made fun of? lol

Tornado Air :: More Power, More Mileage!

I would think adding a CAI will only decrease mpg because the intent of those is to add power. Maybe get new wheels, some super lightweights...
Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, one of the gen 1 guys tried it. Didnt help. I notice a lot of the cai remove the resonator which is suppose to increase torque, but no one seems to complian after installation of a cai that hey, I lost my low end torque.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had an AEM CAI on a previous car... I'm not sure if it helped mpg or added any power, but around 4500rpm it was as loud as a siren going off..

I'd rev it up in rush hour traffic and people would often times move out of the way. Now, the car was also turbocharged and that could have played a role, but it'd be interesting to see how it'd change an Insight.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, turbos make more noise. I had one on my tacoma when I got it and removed the snorkle on the geo metro just attaching a filter to the end of the air horn.

The crz aem cai is interesting since it hangs the filter low in the engine bay, so maybe it gets more cold air as warm or hot air raises? Our cold air feed is right next to the battery where you see those slots on the top of the hood support.

Ill see if i can get to a dealer with a crz on the showroom floor, take some measurements as its air intake looks similar to ours.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, Earth, Unnamed solar system, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Yeah, turbos make more noise. I had one on my tacoma when I got it and removed the snorkle on the geo metro just attaching a filter to the end of the air horn.

The crz aem cai is interesting since it hangs the filter low in the engine bay, so maybe it gets more cold air as warm or hot air raises? Our cold air feed is right next to the battery where you see those slots on the top of the hood support.

Ill see if i can get to a dealer with a crz on the showroom floor, take some measurements as its air intake looks similar to ours.
I do not know where I found this, but I distinctly remember reading a forum post of a guy from Malaysia that has a G2 Insight that he put a Cold Air Intake on. He used some sort of kit that was originally meant for the FIT. I will take a look around and see if I can find it again.

LOL, I think I might have found it... this damn forum. Are there any other active Insight Forums out there anyway??
You even posted in the thread.. Of course
Pictures of modified Insights

Last edited by llpancholl; 07-12-2013 at 11:09 PM.
llpancholl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

Yeah, I remember that. I remember it cost 400 bucks too.

I ordered a kn typhoon sri for the crz.

Interesting their installation requires you to reroute the coolant line that goes from the water pump to the throttle body.

What the hell, Ill try a catch can and adding a reserve to the vacuum system.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is a Takeda intake that will fit but you have to get a particular bracket from the CR-Z. CR-Z Takeda Intake This will be the route I go when I get there. First though I need to get wheels and then the Cusco suspension parts on the car.
punksmurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, thats the best design Ive seen for the i2 as it funnels the air into the filter from the gap in the hood/radiator support where the fresh air is routed into the car. I just cant see that much for it.

Inlet(SP?) has one with an elbow or 2 that snakes under the battery tray to under the drivers side head lamp on the crz. I dont think it can route the same way on the i2.

From what I see on the crz forum the 2nd cat is rather restrictive. I dont want to remove it, but I am considering a high flow cat from summit racing. Its a generic one. Guess it would be ok in regards to worry about a DTC since there is no sensor that far down the line.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Availability: Out of Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by punksmurph View Post
There is a Takeda intake that will fit but you have to get a particular bracket from the CR-Z. CR-Z Takeda Intake This will be the route I go when I get there. First though I need to get wheels and then the Cusco suspension parts on the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.