Pre-production testers sought for new technology - Page 5 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 PM   #41 (permalink)

Mine too has some tape around the middle, but I assumed it was there to hold a label that says it is a tester unit. I'll take another look to see if there is anything more to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSTRIPE View Post
Hmm yeah in the middle mine has some
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #42 (permalink)

Hi Everyone,

Okay, that's disappointing news about the bracket. It's the risk since we didn't have a local with which to perform a fitment test first. Apologies, but this means we're out of luck on the Insight.

Regarding the tape, all three units have some across the seam between the parts. Production parts are sealed with a cyanoacrylate adhesive (essentially an industrial superglue). Pre-production parts are taped so we can access, remove, and reprogram the PCB.

Please take a moment today/tomorrow to ship back the units. You'll find pre-paid shipping label inside the box.

Definitely an anti-climatic end to this. My apologies.

Marc
Marc-at-Smartpedal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #43 (permalink)

So will there be any efforts down the road to make it happen?like maybe a wire extension.
KJSTRIPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #44 (permalink)

Why make it an end to the Insight application? What about a 90 degree connection to offset it or a pig tail and a mount location to ensure it is safely secured. Are the Insight prototypes gonna be tossed? I would be interested in one of them and making it function for my vehicle. I have done many installations of various products and am an ASE Master certified Technician.
Ta2dResqr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2dResqr View Post
Why make it an end to the Insight application? What about a 90 degree connection to offset it or a pig tail and a mount location to ensure it is safely secured. Are the Insight prototypes gonna be tossed? I would be interested in one of them and making it function for my vehicle. I have done many installations of various products and am an ASE Master certified Technician.
Was thinking the same thing...
Old 05-19-2017, 02:19 AM   #46 (permalink)

Why not lengthen the wires to allow it to be mounted somewhere else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Why not lengthen the wires to allow it to be mounted somewhere else?
Thats what im saying but sounds like OP just gave up...really disappointing that they just quit like that.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #48 (permalink)

Zip ties and duct tape?

The metal bracket on the top left seem to just hold some connectors in place. That could be done with zip ties and I'll remove the bracket. That may be enough.

The black plastic duct to the right goes to the heater (I think). I could cut away a section to make room for the unit and cover the hole with duct tape.

I looked for an extension cable but could not find one.

I wonder how many wires are actually connected. Sometimes out of 8 pins only a few are actually used.

Last edited by BackStreetXX; 05-19-2017 at 07:11 AM.
BackStreetXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackStreetXX View Post
Zip ties and duct tape?
I looked for an extension cable but could not find one.

I wonder how many wires are actually connected. Sometimes out of 8 pins only a few are actually used.
Hi Everyone,

I quote BackStreetXX above, but will address questions from others too. You'll see six pins at the top of the pedal--or on each side of our device. Those pins correspond to signal, ground, and +5 power times two as there are redundant channels for the hall sensors on the pedal. Naturally, everything has to be wired up correctly, or a DTC (an easy one to clear) will be generated.

As for fitment, there are a couple reasons why we designed the device to mount directly to the pedal. At first, however, we had a "universal" design which involved a single housing coupled with a specific adapter cable depending on the type of vehicle. This approach is what you've been discussing in the last few posts.

We nixed this as a general approach for several reasons. From a safety standpoint, we were concerned that a poor installation might leave a portion of the adapter cable dangling near the driver's foot.

From a performance standpoint, the device also has to mount very securely for the internal accelerometer to generate good data. We were pretty sure that a fair percentage of installers would not realize how important this particular task was no matter what we wrote in a manual. Plus, sometimes there's just not a good/easy place to mount even a small housing near the pedal.

In addition to all of the above, our current PCB no longer fits in the abandoned universal housing design. However, I did design a new universal housing for it. We 3D print these when we need to experiment. I might be tempted to send one of these out to a member of the group.

The remaining challenge though is that the pedal connectors are a proprietary design developed by Honda (although manufactured by a third party). I'm not sure you could find those connectors in order to build an adapter cable. We had to reverse engineer them ourselves and implement a compatible mating parts directly into the plastic of our housing--yet another reason for that approach.

I'm sharing all this detail and history with you because I appreciate that you're trying to solve the fitment hurdle. It's cool to see.

Marc

Last edited by Marc-at-Smartpedal; 05-19-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Marc-at-Smartpedal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #50 (permalink)

Installed!

I removed the two 10mm bolts that hold the black box and wire bracket on the left.

Removing just the bracket did not work. I zip tied the black box to any convenient place.

The duct on the right did not have to be moved or altered.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question