New 10 owner with MPG issue? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New 10 owner with MPG issue?

Been a proud owner of Honda certified 10 Insight EX Navi for the past 2 weeks . Coming from a 96 Rav4, I can't be happier to have this baby. However the mileage is a bit of a concern for me. The 100 miles that I been driving, its on econ on all the time. Occasionally have the A/C on. Avg. speed of 65 - 70 mph. My average MPG is only 40. Is this normal for driving in LA? I do carry equipment that is about 100 - 120 lbs. Could the battery been depleted? Do I need to bring it back to the dealership for the software upgrade?
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it's about what my wife gets as an LA urban warrior. The freeways are too fast, or too stop and go. The surface streets make it hard to use fuel saving strategies. However, at only two weeks use, you have not really done your driving style relearning that is one of the things this video game pretending to be a car does well. One can get good fuel economy with these things but you have to pay attention to do so.

Also: check your tire pressures stone cold in the morning. Either at home or at a station within a mile from it. Make sure they are at the spec at least. You can go over some (up to the sidewall limit)

Also, remember the MID (display) is a guesstimate and one should measure actual fuel use by filling the tank and dividing the miles driven by the fuel used.

At 100 miles I think it's too early to draw conclusions. You haven't even finished a tank. If you are only going 100 miles every two weeks, then that indicates lots of short trips. That's make for bad MPG in any vehicle.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Egads. Wow. What a difference missing a zero makes. . What imeant to write was after 1000 miles driving in 2 weeks. Within that time frame i only had to fill the tank 3 times and the 3rd one is still 3/4 way full. Prior to the purchase i never really care about mt driving habbit because I will always get roughly the same mpg. I will look into the tire pressure fira t thing in the am.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

For an aggressive driver at those speeds that sound about right for an unmodded insight. The mpg doesn't really pick up til 10 thousand miles and even the oil makes a difference in mpg.

Now it's true a bad 12 volt starter battery will cause low mpg and it's usually shown as little to no assist and mainly regening.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cobb, I didn't know that 65-70 mph is considered aggresive for insight. I should try at mellowing down on the mph. Now you said about unmodded insight. Can you direct me to the link of possible mod that i can do on this baby? Thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Without spending hundreds of dollars, the biggest MPG mod you can do is changing your driving habits.
egads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Without question my driving habit will have to change in order to reach that mpg nirvana. Thanks for the inputs.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

The eco modder stuff will do. Blocking part of the grill, using sidewall psi for your tires, lowering your car, watching your use of ac/heat as both impact mpg. The biggest mod would be to add extra battery power to the hybrid battery to supplement its needs.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

With all mods but the phev I managed 48 mpg going 75 and driving like an a hole. Keeping up with traffic 50.x, same as the unmodded Prius 3 I rented.

With phev my 48 would be 54 mpg.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 10-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

When we first got the car (new) we got around 40 mpg. I remember we got this on the drive up from the dealer in Huntington Beach, Ca to our apartment just North of LA). Once the engine was broken in and I got the hang of maximizing mpg, I regularly got around 49mpg in the LA area (which includes a combination of freeway and city driving with the ac on econ either on or off). The mpg is quite sensitive to conditions (hills, flat) as well as speed. There is a route that I have used many times as a game to see if I can break my mpg record. It is around 30 miles going from the Santa Clarita Valley to Pico Blvd, West LA just off the 405 freeway. The highest I have been able to achieve at an average of 60-65 mph on the 405 freeway for this route is 72mpg. Typically, I get in the low to mid 60mpgs. In the beginning I used to get just over 50mpg. So there is certainly a learning curve as to how you drive the car. For very long distances at 75 mph we have achieved 48 to 49mpg from Southern California to Southern Oregon (650miles). The mpg on this route is very sensitive to conditions (temperature and wind). My wife does this route often and typically drives around 75 mph. Her low is 43 mpg and her high is 49mpg (at slightly lower average speed). I did get over 50 mpg from Southern Oregon to our apartment a couple of times when we took an alternate route to Interstate 5 (took more of a coastal route). Make sure that the tire pressure is set above the factory recommended settings. We actually don't use a very high cold pressure compared to others on this forum (37psi). I hope this is useful info for you.
WFalicoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.