Neutral vs 'gliding' - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Honda Insight MPG

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Neutral vs 'gliding'

OK, so I'm a newbie. In the past, I've always just put my non-hybrid Accord in neutral while coasting downhill as it rolled a lot freer and gained a lot more speed than just 'coasting' while in "D". With the Insight this still seems to be the case, BUT I've noticed that the 'gauge' shows some gas being consumed when in neutral when otherwise (in "D") it will show the battery being regenerated with no gas consumption.
So my question is, will the amount of fuel (I assume it is very minimal) being used while in neutral be offset by the increase in speed I gain over keeping it in "D" ? Or is it more economical to keep it in "D" with the corresponding decrease in speed gained. And if the answer is 'maybe', at what grade/distance do you think? IOW, how much speed gain (and over what distance?) over keeping it in "d" needs to be gained to run in 'neutral' ?

(hope this makes sense).
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would only go to neutral if the battery was 100% full, otherwise, you're probably shooting yourself in the foot.

If you're coasting in neutral down a hill but the battery is only 75% charged once you have to go back into D on flat ground it'll want to charge the battery which probably negates (and then some) any gain you saved while coasting in neutral.

That's how I see it, anyway. May as well get some free juice.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. The battery hasn't seen 100% yet, but I've only had it since Saturday. Over 50 mpg babying it as much as I know how. Basically trying to avoid stopping by timing lights and keeping it in the 'green' and above the 50 mpg mark. Is it best to try to keep the battery close to 100% or is lower ok for the battery? Is there a point where you're hurting the battery life by having it lower?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well it's meant to go up and down so as long as you're giving it a workout it should be fine.

The most damage that can occur to it is if you let it sit for weeks at a time unattended.

If you go on vacation for a few weeks you might want to drop the keys off to someone you trust to give it a spin every now and then.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

I dont see why you are shifting out of drive. It charges the battery and when its full it will "free wheel" as well as pump fluid around the tranny. Maybe the accord would stop the engine? The Insight only stops the engine if you are under 7 mph or you are traveling faster than the engine needs to spin.

You can apply light pressure on the throttle to get it to not charge the battery so it "free wheels" and not use any gas.

I make it a point to charge as much as possible myself.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Cobb;257328]I dont see why you are shifting out of drive.

Thought I explained that I gain more momentum in neutral than I do when in "D". As long as the battery is close to max., why expend energy converting some of that speed into electricity (slowing the vehicle down in the process) when that speed can be used directly instead? (direct use of energy > amt being converted and stored in the battery).

I do tap the pedal just enough to cut off the gas being used, but the momentum is still a decent amount less than being in neutral And I've also shut off the battery to see if it made a difference in the coasting ability, but it doesn't appear to be equal to the speed i can get when in neutral. Hence the question.

I doubt the difference is much at all, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

[quote=Charlie46227;257342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I dont see why you are shifting out of drive.

Thought I explained that I gain more momentum in neutral than I do when in "D". As long as the battery is close to max., why expend energy converting some of that speed into electricity (slowing the vehicle down in the process) when that speed can be used directly instead? (direct use of energy > amt being converted and stored in the battery).

I do tap the pedal just enough to cut off the gas being used, but the momentum is still a decent amount less than being in neutral And I've also shut off the battery to see if it made a difference in the coasting ability, but it doesn't appear to be equal to the speed i can get when in neutral. Hence the question.

I doubt the difference is much at all, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Charlie,

I'm not positive, but if the CVT acts like the MT, then backing off the throttle should shut off the fuel injectors while going downhill as well, thus saving a little more fuel.

Maybe you can update your signature to show what type of tranny you have.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess you can try both and see what is the best. Ive always regen vs coasting to charge the battery. Unlike my current home which has roads that are uphill both ways, its my experience once you go down hill, you got to go back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.