Honda Insight Forum banner

2014 East Coast Fall Insight Maintenance and Social Day

28K views 217 replies 29 participants last post by  Fuelish 
#1 ·
Who: All Honda Hybrid Enthusiasts/Insight Owners/IC Members/Prospective Owners/Good People

What: Fall Meet & Maintenance Day...and combined Social

When: Saturday, October 4th, 2014. 1000 AM. Possibly Sunday as needed/based on planning inputs/demand.

Where: Manassas, VA. Near I-95. Private IC member's house with garage/lift.

Why: To help us learn from each other and help prep cars for fall/winter weather. Possibly other associated mods/small fixes.

How: By signing up - and being there! Learn from and talk to some of the most experienced Insight owners on the East Coast!

Hoping to enjoy the company of several Upstate New York G1 fans, New Englanders, Floridians, Georgians, Mid-Westerns, and hey, West Coasties and Canadians would be most welcome!

Menu is TBD, but likely morning donuts/coffee, typical American BBQ, Veggy tray, cold beverages...etc (We usually pitch in $15-$20 to help offset these expenses.)

Prizes for: Best Mods, Highest Mileage car attendee, SECOND Lowest mileage attendee (sorry DogBite! LOL), Longest Traveling Attendee, People's Choice Car.

Please reply with attendance intent confirmation, questions, suggestions, volunteering or sponsorship offers, etc, just keep it positive! :)

See less See more
#126 ·
Nope!

Sam

#127 ·
Text sent!

#128 · (Edited)
NEWS FLASH:

INSIGHT GARAGE SALE/SWAP MEET: Bring your extra transmission, RE92 tires, rear view mirror, or snakeskin seat cover (Cobb? - JK). Sell or trade without any fees! Wow...what a deal :) You can even run a silent auction if you choose.

Do you have any cool Insight articles, brochures, or car pics to show off? Please grab them and let us have a look! I am bringing my modest (but growing) collection.

Contest: Best Modification Award, Highest Mile Car Award, Lowest Mile Car Award, People's Choice Car Award, Longest Traveling Attendee Award, "There I Fixed it" Award,

Lunch: Pizza/Sodas (courtesy of Matt of Hybrid Revolt)

Hoping to have Insight T-Shirts finished today....(If there were a nervous, nail-biting emoticon, I would insert it here)

Hoping to have some cool decals finished today as well...but sadly, my print guy was hospitalized earlier this week, so there may be a delay. Let's cut him some slack. ;)

Don't forget your lawn chair!

Some changes to the planned work, based on GAZ shocks not arriving on time :( there is always next time :) Also update to attendee list:

-Battery 101 Class, "The Basics, and What is New." - Prof. JimE
-Scott's underbelly aluminum pan for Bob
-brake line / fuel line inspections for any Gen1 interested
-Scott's Matiz spring install (Freezin4 + ?)
-copy templates of JimE's full belly cover
-oil changes (Kaity + ?)
-Slave Cylinder Install (Freezin4/CRXNUT2) [IF IT ARRIVES IN MAIL TODAY FROM MAJESTIC]
-Dash switches (Kaity/Truck ?)
-Compression Check (JimE/Truck)
-Wet Seatbelt Repair or Discussion (JohnG)

Also:
-possible harness installs
-possible claybar/ wax (Cobb/Freezin4)
-seat upholstery wash?
-possible Valve Adjustment (JohnG)

Anyone with A/C experience coming?

ATTENDEE LIST SO FAR:
freezin4
truck
jime
Bill C.
cobb
mountain driver
WillS
samwichse
jrmgarcia
CrxNut2
hadarotary
KaityVoivre
musmanjam
Glasport
dsteele713
dbabele
Chris Y.
Atikovi

Maybe:
Lost_dalinkwent
Fishcleaner
Atheos
russelc
USMCRosa
Longdx

PS: CITRUS OWNER? Bring 'em if you got 'em. If you are lucky enough to have a choice of cars to bring, consider bringing a citrus if you have one. We have never been able to photograph more than 3 at any of the meets I have attended, and this may be the best opportunity yet. It appears the UK meet had FIVE citrus colored cars all at the same time! I don't even think the Japanese meetup (many years ago) had that many. [I've been known to pass bum scoop in the past though.]

#143 ·
NEWS FLASH:

INSIGHT GARAGE SALE/SWAP MEET: Bring your extra transmission, RE92 tires, rear view mirror, or snakeskin seat cover (Cobb? - JK).
Thanks, Ill bring the following:
Set Gen 2 15 inch alloy wheels with tires 4x100
Gen 2 curt hitch with 2 inch receiver
Sealed and 4th order band pass sub boxes with subs
2 alpine m 450 amps
Universal evaporator with blower assembly
Set gen 2 license plate frame and Honda plates
Hot dog toaster :evil:

No reasonable offer refused.

EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!! :)

#130 ·
#132 ·
Bring the white one! May be your best shot at the "People's choice award"

#141 ·
Yeah, maybe, but it looks from the article that the timing is such that people who are inbound to our event will be well ahead of the arrival of the motorcade. Also looks like it will be over before most of our folks leave.

Hope for the best.

#142 ·
Not sure if I am coming or not. Hoping someone there would know what is wrong, why IMA is not working. Two Honda dealers don't know other than replace everything.

#144 · (Edited)
I went to pick up T-shirts at 4:30 PM, and ended up staying there till 8:30 PM, lending a hand finishing up my own order. Is that dedication or what?

Now I still have to load the car...when the rain stops.

I'm gonna need a double espresso in the AM. ....maybe a triple? http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/21a0aa79e5/fiat-2 LOL!!!!!!!

#145 ·
I know about your nail-biting, Freezin! My order for the trim clips for wet seatbelts JUST came in! Bringing some blue-coral to clean hazy headlights and my 6x17" grill block template and a razor blade, so if y'all see any political signs that need to go, grab them and we'll make grill blocks!
Sad to report that maoates (black insight) can't make it due to his father's birthday... Would've been so cool to see salt and pepper insights!
I've also got everything to do the valve adjustment… I just need some helpful, "experienced" hands to do it. See y'all there!

#151 ·
Does it need to be functional, or a core for rebuild?

#148 ·
Truck
Don't forget the 19mm wrench to turn the crankshaft.
No you don't have to remove the RF wheel to gain access as another INSIGHTER reported..

Have fun and be patient on the adjustment.

HTH
Willie

#152 ·
Nice meeting everyone.

You guys were sorta right about my starter battery, my hold down is missing so it was bouncing around under the hood next to the fender, cai and cpu. Lucky I got a long j bolt to replace the missing one.

Maybe Ill get some time to myself to re wire it and finally move it or an agm equivalent to the rear next to the IMA box? :cool:

#155 · (Edited)
Wow!!!!!...
19 Insights (I'm sure we irritated my neighbor but that is always fun!!!)

14 hours of wrenching, detailing, socializing and a lecture from Prof JimE.
With the first arrival at 0800 and the last to leave 2200 it was a great time.

From the list of what folks needed done we got:
- 2 charging harnesses installed
- a rear wiper fluid leak diagnosed
- a stuck window greased
- CVT stuck shifter repaired
- oil change and Fumoto valve installed
- valve adjustment
- wet seatbelt clips and fix done
- several undercarriage inspections done and brake lines checked
- POR 15 painted on some undercarriage parts
- mystery coolant leak found
- CVT noise diagnosed
- fabricated several radiator block plates for owners
- swapped and sold parts

This is just the stuff I know about as I'm sure there was other stuff done that I missed!! If there was other stuff that got accomplished post up!

Scott (Scottman25) redeemed himself for being a Prius owner by helping polish several folks headlight lenses to NEW condition with kit donated by Bob (MountainDriver).

We got to see several interesting modifications.
Got to give away a TPS mod kit and several other door prizes to lucky owners.
And all attendees receiced new Insight TShirts.

I want to thank those attended and those that helped my son and I with our battery harnesses.
I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with folks and checking their cars out as I was in the shop working my stuff and helping folks with the lift.

A huge Special Thanks goes out to Hybrid Revolt for filling our bellies with pizza for lunch and sponsoring our ability to look sharp sporting our new Insight TShirts. Also for the wonderful TPS door prize.

I also would like to thank JimE and Freezin4 (Pete) for setting this up and making it a successful day for folks.

I hope everyone had a wonderful time

Truck

#156 ·

It was really great to see all the old friends and meeting many new ones!
I just wish I had more time talk to all of them!

Weather was great, plenty parking, awesome shop, lots of brain power present, and most importantly a great fun group of Insight/Car enthusiasts!

Truck and I went over the completed work list, and looks like we were able to accomplish nearly everything that people signed up for and then some.

A great big Thanks to Matt (HybridRevolt) for the assist. The support made the meetup more productive, efficient, and enjoyable. THANK YOU MATT.

Truck, I cannot thank you Becky, and Dillon enough for your hospitality!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#157 ·
#158 ·
Ditto, ditto, and ditto again. Great time. Thank you again Truck for hosting the event at your home and opening your garage to so many folk.

Pete and Jim, thank you again for organizing another successful event, you guys are great.

Thank you Matt for sponsoring the event, the shirts are very nice (with your logo on the back too) and the pizza was welcome. btw: the 8 amp HybridReVolt pack in my cvt is performing very nicely.

Enjoyed seeing 'old ;) friends' and meeting some new ones, finally got to meet Cobb (looking forward to some more garden gossip), and some more folk from PA. There's getting to be several owners from PA on the forum now.

#159 ·
Pete and Jim, thank you again for organizing another successful event, you guys are great.

Well, I must give credit where credit is due. Pete is a real "spark plug" when it comes to recruiting and organizing. Much of the credit for the rather continuous grown in numbers of attendees is due to his recruiting efforts. And of course, he loves the cars, as most of us do.

Another factor in the fine success this year was getting a day in Trucks very busy garage. We own him a great shoutout of appreciation. The previous efforts in the state park, while nice in a social sense, badly limit the amount of work that could be done. Maintaining the cars is a strong common bond which keep the group together, even if a particular individual just wants to talk maintenance or repairs.

I personally think we have 2 or 3 locations where car work could be done, with small changes in location, so the future of the mode for the meets seems bright.

Bottom line, loved the format, loved the socializing and loved the technical discussions. GREAT MEET - GREAT FUN!

#162 · (Edited)
Finally got it all processed & uploaded...

Post 1 of 3:

Overflow parking...

The silver one behind the blue one has an amazingly cavernous spare tire storage area replacement, beautifully welded and riveted. And without the muffler it sounds like a 1.0L Big Block - quality sound, not loud. The resonator alone is enough.

All lined up...

Here's the full 12MP version. Includes Cobb and his I2... Great to finally meet you, Cobb! (and your I2 of course)

Here we have enough filtration and extra oil capacity to put off changes for a llloooooonnnnnng time..... 10k miles w/ zero oil issues, awaiting 20k mile report for sample he already has in...

This beautifully simple thing is how to pull the battery pack instead of your back.

Continued...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.