Starting our own forum? - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Community Support and Announcements > Insightcentral.net Site Help, Rules and Announcements

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #31 (permalink)

I'm happy with sticking here but I do wish the "active topics" were separated between Gen 1 and Gen 2.

I just put my 2cents worth here:

AutoGuide.com Contact Us
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02insight View Post
I dont really see any problems with the current site. But then again, I browse using adblocker plugin, which can be had to firefox, chrome etc.. I experience zero ads, the site is super fast all around, and I really dont have any complaints with the organization of the content.

But, yes when I am using the site on another computer which doesnt have a adblocker, its almost unusable.
I'm also using FireFox with adblocker and was about to ask "What ads?". I see some blue areas on the left side of the monitor with "Auto Insurance" and "Featured Product" but nothing happens if I click on those areas.

If people are seeing a lot of ads give "admuncher" or "adblocker" to try to get rid of them.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
DIY Grid Charger build instructions, bill of materials,
how to build a discharge dummy load and more.
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrowdy01 View Post
I'm also using FireFox with adblocker and was about to ask "What ads?". I see some blue areas on the left side of the monitor with "Auto Insurance" and "Featured Product" but nothing happens if I click on those areas.

If people are seeing a lot of ads give "admuncher" or "adblocker" to try to get rid of them.
Yeah, I agree. I use Firefox and an ad blocker and I don't see much problem. I also signed up for "lifetime" membership and I found that made worlds of differences. Main problem I now see is just with the "mouse over" traps, but those are easy to avoid once you understand how they trigger.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #34 (permalink)

The mouseovers don't go away even with lifetime membership? Forget that. Those are the WORST, and that was the main reason I was thinking about registering.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
The mouseovers don't go away even with lifetime membership? Forget that. Those are the WORST, and that was the main reason I was thinking about registering.
That is true, but there is a defense. Before you pick up at mouse, quickly look for the double lined, green words with the the little northeast pointed arrow. That is the trigger. Just don't let your mouse cross one of those. Even if it does, it is very easy to close by clicking the corner X. Yes, it is irritating, but it isn't fatal. The mouse overs do not lock you computer.

I don't think there is even a vision of how a new independent site, with no advertizing would work. No one has volunteered to construct, maintain, and fund such a site. Stuff doesn't come free in our current commercial world, never did, and one way or another we would pay big for a "perfect" site. Someone got a plan and a cost estimate?

It won't work, IMHO.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post

You can also opt out of the mouse overs. These mouse over sites are storing a cookie on your computer to enable this so called "interest based content." If you trigger one of the mouse overs, you will see a little right right pointed arrow at the top which will lead you to the opt out routine. Just before looking at this message screen I was looking an IC page which contained no mouse overs and had no ads. Not sure how long it will last.

But, it all raises some questions. Who will pay to construct, and maintain a web site if advertizing is barred in the way that I have done? Nothing comes free!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #37 (permalink)

Still no mouse overs on my IC screen.

I'm going to do a test by entering some enticing word like "automotive" and see if one or more comes back. If fact, I just did
Old 12-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #38 (permalink)

Cool

Me, I enjoy banning people and deleting spam. The thing Peter said about helping other owners isnt that bad either.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Me, I enjoy banning people and deleting spam. The thing Peter said about helping other owners isnt that bad either.
This is a little off subject but it's in line with deleting spam (ads).

Here in South Fla there was some company loading up the craigslist area for used cars for sale with literality thousands of fake ads for very low priced cars. When you clicked on one of the ads (I was looking for a G1 Insight) a fake title for a (for instance) $950 2004 Insight in one of the various citys down here would appear. The actual ad had the title with the price and year of the car and no way to contact the supposed owner. On the page there was also a big ad to take out a car loan with a girl leaning over with her [censored] showing and they wanted your SOC number and lots other details before they would respond to you. (Lot's of luck with that.)

I kept flagging the ads as spam and overposting etc but the ads kept appearing. Well one night I decided to get craigslists attention. I flagged over 600 of the ads for that one day alone in one sitting. There were about another thousand to go but I figured 600 ought to do it.

No more ads from that company have appeared ...........

And I was able to finally find the 2005 Insight I bought through craigslist.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
DIY Grid Charger build instructions, bill of materials,
how to build a discharge dummy load and more.

Last edited by olrowdy01; 12-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #40 (permalink)

That was kind of my point earlier. There is a right and wrong way to generate ad revenue and an audience not to mention one that contributes.

Ive been waiting for the other shoe to drop on the social networks where once they have x number of member who use the service as a routine of life they slam the users with a fee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.