Starting our own forum? - Page 5 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Community Support and Announcements > Insightcentral.net Site Help, Rules and Announcements

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
The most annoying things IMHO are the slow performance, naff layout and plethora of annoying and intrusive adverts.
I like the ads on websites for the same reason I like ads on TV and radio: Keeps the entertainment free.

What I don't like is that the ads are flash-based and often don't load. When the ads don't load neither do the posts. I get frustrated that I can't read the forum at work (where adservers are blocked).

As for new forum:
WHY? There are plenty of hybrid-oriented forums to visit. For that matter there's also the insight-specific forum at yahoogroups.
No need to reinvent.
70+ Prius G3
theaveng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #42 (permalink)

so get adblock, problem solved

I've never even seen an ad on here, didn't know there were any.
Terrh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #43 (permalink)

I'll share my opinions about the forum because I'm willing to do some work in a move (I believe there are many of us who would volunteer a few hours of work):

1) The most annoying thing for me is the lack of organization. Some rearranging would allow for the possibility to make things smoother and more efficient. The thing that frustrates and angers me is that the mods/admin of this site have their hands tied and can't make the necessary improvements. The owner doesn't care/respond to emails/requests.

2) I don't notice the ads or loading problems (I use Chrome, I may have adblock on through Kaspersky), but surely a different site could end the problem for those who experience it. And what are the ads paying for if the owner doesn't respond to users?

3) I refuse to believe that there isn't anyone among us who has the knowledge and/or ability to organize a new site etc.

4) I think $5/year would be a good membership fee.

Pros:
-Ability to organize a better set of G1/G2/HCH1/HCH2 etc. area.
-Ability to distinguish between general maintenance and user-engineered projects. MIMA & OBD11C&C threads should not share space with "Help, my windows won't roll down". This lowers the bar for everything as I see it.
-Ability to have direct & immediate user input and response to site issues.

Cons:
-Possibility of significant reduction in membership pool/ideas
-Reduces free information to the public
-Possibility of failure
-Possibility of creating too specific/small of a niche

The way I see it, it wouldn't be overly hard to pack up and leave. A lot of the stuff I've put in the stickies can be condensed into a better TL;DR version. The tough part would be the 50+ page threads, but I'm sure someone has the ability to archive/move them easily. Probably 80% of the topics are simple to sort through, the other 20% require a lot of reading/understanding to condense/compile.

The General Area & MPG forums don't need to be moved (unless there's something in them I'm unaware of).

A membership fee would get rid of a lot of the lazy, "I didn't search but want answers anyway" threads. It may create a sense of community. It may however create a sense of exclusivity/elitism. Some of the now-familiar mods have started out as, "hey what if..." styled 'stupid' questions.

I think that a move would be beneficial. I've been reading since '05-06, and it seems silly to me that a community which can reverse engineer America's first hybrid can't start up a community run & based website.

The main issue would be getting the main contributing members to move permanently. The reason I visit IC is to check up on the advanced user input & projects. If they stayed here I would stay here. If they split their time between 2 sites I think the quality would suffer overall and we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot. But if we get the engineering stuff going on at a new site, the "Help my windows won't roll down" users will follow, only in a more specific area which is to the benefit of everyone.
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Thanks for that deadpool. Elegantly put.
Speaking personally my own time is so limited I doubt I would me much help in any move until after June 2014 when I retire from my full time job. I'm certainly not adverse to your idea as you have explained it though.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Default Example forum

I'm also on another car forum which can give you an idea of how an easy to use forum is organized. Cruise around on it for a bit and see if you like the way it was set up.

LocostUSA.com • Index page

The forum software is free, https://www.phpbb.com/
and there are no ads etc.

The hosting service can be had for $3.95/month with a free domain, Web Hosting, Domain Names, eCommerce - Bluehost.com

Locostusa asked for donations one time in it's existence and they got enough money to pay the hosting service for many years.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #46 (permalink)

olrowdy- I think that looks less refined, but much better functioning than InsightCentral. I had no idea it could be so inexpensive.

I had looked at xenforo, vbulletin, and IPBoard. PHPbb looks as functional but <<$100-$175.

To relate:
xenforo- Hyundai Genesis News & Forums | RWDCoupe.com
vBulletin- Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com
IPBoard- Portal - Red Pepper Racing
^just Google "xenforo car forum" etc. to find others. To check forums you like, the host is usually listed at the bottom of the main page.

I'm willing to do some leg work if the main contributors show interest in a move. I think an Alternative Honda content would be appropriate (G1, G2, HCH, NGV, EV, Clarity, Accord, etc.)
deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #47 (permalink)

I read most posts in this thread, then installed AdBlock for Chrome, and revisited this thread.
WOW!
No need to move imho.
Off for now-w gotta visit some other previously ad-spoilt sites
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
//installed AdBlock for Chrome, and revisited this thread.
WOW!
No need to move imho.
//
I agree. Try also Ghostery and Collusion addons for your platform to see graphically how many miners are stealing data and hogging the bandwidth with spyware/adware. A few clicks and it's done.
Search google site specifically and it works so much better than the site's own spyware ridden search engine.
site:insightcentral.net "searchterm" +keyword -wrongstuff etc.
OBDIIC&C, Mima, GC01, Rostra, Fumoto, Michelin
Photobucket & 'G-Drive' Files
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #49 (permalink)

Ive had the internet since the early 90s and still use some of the same equipment to use it.

Its just a disappointment to see what it has become. The hundreds of emails in my spam folder. The ok attitude of stopping ads by installing ad blocking software. Webpages that pause to download ads first before displaying content.

Maybe that is how our society has just evolved? You stop speeding tickets with a radar detector, right? How much does a radar detector cost, as much as a speeding ticket?

Cant say I miss any of the geo coties or angel fire webpages.....

I had a nice website that netted 150 bucks a month in ad revenue, then lost it in the feature price disaster as they went out of business. Thats like getting ready to have sex with a pretty women and get kicked between the legs, twice.

If a new site developed over nite I wouldnt mind joining it I have no problems with all my stuff getting copied over. Hell, before I started my website a corporate one with a wheelchair manufacture pissed me off, so I went in there and they left the ability to delete all my posts open, so I did so in 3 hours.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I've used Adblock for years and had to send Michael and Katie enough for what I hope was a good meal out after using it for just a few days.
Google has recently removed Adblock plus from the Play Store. You can go to Adblock Plus - Surf the web without annoying ads! for the download if they should extend this censorship to the chrome and other versions.
Except for the horrible search engine this site is nice thanks to the work of the mods and the addition of the stickies not too long ago. There are some great write-ups on repairs and mods that aren't highlighted that can be hard to find.
I'd take a chainsaw to every billboard along the highways if I could. I don't need the distraction(and ruined scenery) there and I damn sure don't want it here.

"Would you say that traditional ads should die or is there still a place for them?
There’s definitely a place for them. It’s the unsolicited, untargeted, aggressive, in-your-way ads that tend to frustrate people. If AdBlock had a way to add a “Show me ads if they don’t suck” checkbox, I’d add it in a second and I’m sure lots of people would opt in." Michael Gundlach
MIMA#136,GC1#47
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata...ngs/index.html
Ad Astra per Aspera
"I am not in danger, I am the danger"Heisenberg
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.