Starting our own forum? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Community Support and Announcements > Insightcentral.net Site Help, Rules and Announcements

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Starting our own forum?

This forum has suffered quite a few issues since it was sold by the founder from under members noses to Autoguide several years ago now.

The most annoying things IMHO are the slow performance, naff layout and plethora of annoying and intrusive adverts.

There is nothing to stop us setting up our own forum, and I have a few observations to make.

1) I previously thought we should remain here due to the huge wealth of knowledge that has accumulated over the years. I'm open to change now and perhaps the time is right to set up our own forum? The info here can still be linked from any new site.

2) If we set up a new forum I'm happy to be a member, but am not offering to organise, host or administer it.

3) I think we should go for a basic setup but with good antispam and regsistering security.

4) I don't want adverts of any kind and would be happy to pay say $5-10 a year for access.

5) I would prefer any new forum to be co-owned and administered by at least three long standing members.
Any disputes that arise can then be settled via a simple majority vote.

6) I quite like the sections and subforums we have at present but would like to expand it so that each Honda Hybrid model has it's own set of four subforums like the G1 & G2 Insight.

Just my two penneth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

lets just put all our money together and buy this site back.

I personally vote no on a new site.
60 psi tires, Rear belly pan, EPS fuse removed, all wiper delete, passenger mirror delete. 09/05. 2006 Red cvt 88k miles for sale
Insight for life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

I doubt we could afford it and the technical challenge to export all the data to a new sleek no advert code base system might be quite formidable. That's if autoguide would export it for us in the first place. I think basically we would end up starting from scratch.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm for sticking with the current situation - bad as it is. I fear that Autoguide would find a way to deny prior content.

Wouldn't porting just result in porting the ads also?

Much of the ad problems can be resolved by signing up for a lifetime membership. It is $50 or $16.65/year for 3 years - not really all that great. I see no adds on my IC screen.

Last edited by jime; 12-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.
jime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
and Sid the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
6) I quite like the sections and subforums we have at present but would like to expand it so that each Honda Hybrid model has it's own set of four subforums like the G1 & G2 Insight.
Could you sell that idea to the current owners? It might be easier to bring the current layout up to date and increase its relevance to new car owners...and be perceived as providing a solution rather than a problem.
Citrus 2000 MT UK spec 140k miles VIN#000032
Michelin Energy Saver plus (latest EU ratings), Noisy gearbox
Best 11 miles @ 115.1mpg
UK_MJN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Smile

I am in and will help out either way.

I use to run a website on featureprice. It was a lot of technical hassles and ultimately I lost my domain name when they went out of business and a few months of hosting service. I basically paid 50 bucks a year, delt with the headaches and got checks in the mail for 400 bucks in ad revenue. Sometimes it wasnt worth the headaches and countless technical problems that were a combination of a poor hosting company and someone who was new to the gerne.

PS, I only had 2 ads per page and they were text ads too.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
The info here can still be linked from any new site.
I guess that is true, but wouldn't one still have to go to THIS site to do an adequate search of the archives?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

maybe yahoo groups?
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I miss the old newsgroups, you know alt.bin.honda.hybrids.insight.blah.blah. blah .

I am sure the info can be copied, linked, etc. Its just a matter of who "owns" the content at this point.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I dont really see any problems with the current site. But then again, I browse using adblocker plugin, which can be had to firefox, chrome etc.. I experience zero ads, the site is super fast all around, and I really dont have any complaints with the organization of the content.

But, yes when I am using the site on another computer which doesnt have a adblocker, its almost unusable.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.