2006 insight help - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > Community Support and Announcements > Insightcentral.net Site Help, Rules and Announcements

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2006 insight help

Hi Guys, I found a 06 in great shape in & out, I live 3 hours away, the car has 245,000 on it. The owner/ dealer will meet half way, on the way down. The battery pack came on he went back to the dealership for inspection & the pack is bad , the original on this one, if I want it. the pack is $2100.00 WOW. The price is below ( 3K as is) is this worth it, I have to pick it up on Thursday can some help me with this Thanks' guys.

Last edited by Louieaz; 01-23-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Louieaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

3k isn't too bad, mileage is high for the year... but don't let the dealer sell you a battery, BUY YOUR OWN from Bumblebee, Hybrid ReVolt, Mile Hybrid. Just ask them to disconnect the BCM (they should be willing to do this, IMO) for the drive down to meet you.

The battery the dealer sells you is absolutely, unequivocally inferior.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Please update your signiture block with your location, might be someone near you that can help you and show you how to pull the pack when you buy your new one.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am in a similar situation, also with a 2006 Insight with failed hybrid battery pack. My car has a little over 95,000 miles on it and is at the Honda Dealer (Norm Reeves in Cerritos, CA) right now.

They just gave me a quote at a little over $3,000.00 for the new battery pack plus installation. Yikes!

Please advise contact informatio for Bumblebee, Hybrid ReVolt. Also, please explain why the Bumblebee battery is superior to the Honda O.E. (or replacement) battery pack.

Thank you!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Go Here!
Hybrid Battery Repair & Replacement
HybridReVolt: Hybrid Battery Repair

HTH Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Thanks Willie!
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I am in a similar situation, also with a 2006 Insight with failed hybrid battery pack. My car has a little over 95,000 miles on it and is at the Honda Dealer (Norm Reeves in Cerritos, CA) right now.

They just gave me a quote at a little over $3,000.00 for the new battery pack plus installation. Yikes!

Please advise contact informatio for Bumblebee, Hybrid ReVolt. Also, please explain why the Bumblebee battery is superior to the Honda O.E. (or replacement) battery pack.

Thank you!
Richard, so to answer your question about what makes the non-Honda batteries superior to what you will get from Honda is this. The Honda battery that you will get is a 6.5 amp hr battery, originally when the car was being produced these batteries were lasting 5 plus years average. Sometimes depending on use and climate some folks got 8-10 years out of them.

So now when Honda is replacing the packs word on the street (including a Honda engineer) is that they are not new cells going into the packs but refurbished cells. Real world experiance from here on the forum is folks are getting maybe 2 years out of these packs before they fail again.

The after market "Better Battery" pack as it is commonly known is made with brand new 8 amp hr cells. The pack has a higher capacity then the original stock pack and our understanding is that the cells can handle the heat better than the original 6.5 amp hr cells.

A refurb'd Honda pack will run you $2500-$4000 bucks, you can pick up an 8 amp hr pack for around $2000 and install it yourself. Along with the two sources listed above there is also a guy in Denver that sells the new pack.
Adopt A Part ? Quality Recycled Auto Parts

Shop around as cost, shipping, and warranties may varry depending on your location and access to one of the guys selling them.

Last edited by gilbertguy; 01-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louieaz View Post
The battery pack came on he went back to the dealership for inspection & the pack is bad , the original on this one, if I want it. the pack is $2100.00 WOW. The price is below ( 3K as is) is this worth it, I have to pick it up on Thursday can some help me with this Thanks' guys.
Not sure I follow the question. Are you saying that if you want a new battery pack it will cost $2100? And the price of the car is $3,000 as is? That would be a very good price if the engine and transmission are good. And you do know you can run these cars perfectly fine with the battery and IMA system disconnected.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Exclamation 2006 insight

Hi sorry for the confusion the 3K is for the car, the pack is $2100.00 The Dealer wants, mile are 250k the owner had the car service @ the Dealer for 245k miles. I have not driven the car as yet will pick it up Thursday I have to ask then to disconnect something for the 2 hour ride home will this car make it. I'm a first timer
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Samwichse Thanks for the heads up, Just ask them to disconnect the BCM (they should be willing to do this, IMO) what is the BCM & IMO new guy here L o L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.