Snorkle delete - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

I read a post about insulating the AC pipes to the cabin to retain as much cool as possible. That insulation could come in the shape of an air tube to draw air from when the engine is at full blast.
If that works well then you'd have to switch the A/C on for max power. That would be a first
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Installed a brand new air intake temp monitoring device (cheap digi in/out thermometer) and did my morning commute with it.
Outer temp about 7C or 45F.
The full lower grill block does not alter the air temp going into the snorkle, except when accelerating to highway speed from a standstill (a few degrees rise). My upper grill is fully open so no wonder here. But had to know.
Got 4 l/100 km on the trip (57 mpg) trailing behind trucks at 55 mph and all.

Tomorrow I'll do the same trip without snorkle but with the lower grill block, see what that means for intake temp and mileage.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

RedDevil.
Where do you have the thermometer mounted in the air stream.? Location will also have an effect.
For a more accurate reading you should try to mount it between the air cleaner and the throttle plate.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #24 (permalink)

It is way up front for easy access. The air filter should hardly influence pressure and so that cannot have a real impact on the temperature. To change the temperature you have to add or drain a lot of energy, and that only happens at the throttle plate if the air filter is not completely congested.

The object is just to get a rough idea how the throttle delete and grille block work out, and to protect my car if it rises beyond my comfort level. The device I bought was flamed by others for its inaccuracy but it was really cheap and mine actually turned out to give the same reading as the cars outside thermometer, except when I accelerated to highway speed. So the initial run worked fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

I would rather he keep it before the filter. I am assuming China is a larger supplier of electronic goods to other countries and having the tip of the probe break off and go inside the intake is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Most of all, if the filter does reduce pressure (causing lower temperature) that would be compensated by opening the throttle further, so the net pressure going into the engine would be the same.
It would therefore be less reliable than the temperature of the air before the air filter, which will always be close to ambient pressure.
But we're talking sub-tenths of grade differences here which my device cannot measure anyway.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #27 (permalink)

Tested the snorkle delete and grill block combination this morning.
Temp: 0C 32F
Wind: Hardly any.
Trip Westbound, 35 km 22 mile mostly highway @ 90km/h 56 mph. Truck hugging.

The temp raised gradually to almost 52C/125F and would have gone higher up if I hadn't chosen to follow a slower truck when the opportunity arose

FC was best ever until the temp went above 35C/95F. Overall, still a record for my morning commute (3.9 l/100 km indicated, or 60 mpg)

Did the same run yesterday (at 8C / 42F) with the snorkle on.
Intake temp was same as the front bumper temp shown by tmy car, except when speeding up for the highway entry; +3C/5F for a minute.
Slightly worse mpg (to and fro my work) at better conditions.

The snorkle delete makes a difference but should not be combined it with (too much) grill block.

I removed one of the insulation tubes from my grill block for the return trip, see if that can keep the intake temp healthy.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #28 (permalink)

See I run mo grill block for better acceleration from 50-70 mph.I notice without the egr in the mix it does allow more timing advance and with light throttle, under 3 grand I can easily accelerate up to 80 mph if I am not careful.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

Back home with a partial lower grill block and no snorkle.
3 degrees C / 37F, mild east wind heading east.
Speed again 90 km/h 56 mph, following trucks.
Intake temp stayed below 30 C / 86 F all the way.
FC was 3.8 l/km 61 mpg. just slightly worse than my best ever. But that was achieved at 12C/53F and strong tailwind.

Again I got a very good start and slightly deteriorating FC later on. Once the engine is warm the positive effect of the warm air intake dwindles. Even below 30 C.

To make the most out of it I need to build an air temp regulator. Instead of a butterfly valve I plan to use a fan of some kind to blow in cold air when needed. It could blow at full force when accelerating, maybe providing slightly more torque than spec.

For now it is the full grill block again. I will put the snorkel halfway in front of the intake, or maybe put a short piece of perforated pipe in between. Then I can cover more or less of the perforation to accomodate for the season and driving conditions.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Having seen a few photos of air filters after 10000 miles, I decided against building a fan-operated WAI. If I want to use a fan it better be behind the air filter. A fan closer to the throttle plate could stay clean and generate some pressure without damaging anything I guess.
(I have no intentions to turn my G2 Insight into a "compact" Red Rocket on the cheap; I know the effect would be minimal. I deeply respect the Little Red Rocket, but a build like that vastly exceeds my possibilities)
If I could use that fan as a generator to harvest some of the energy otherwise lost at the throttle plate on partial load that would be awesome.
But it does nothing for the air temp.

Not sure how best to regulate the air then. A servo operating a butterfly valve could work, but I have no experience with that.

To make matters more complex, I've worked out that max efficiency actually depends on the combination of intake and engine temperature; the hotter the engine is the cooler the intake air should be.
Maybe an Arduino project or such would be a good base to work it out.
Has anyone ever constructed a proper regulated WAI, by the way?

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.