Questions about Tanabe NF & DF springs - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions about Tanabe NF & DF springs

I been contemplating for awhile and decided to go with one of these springs.

Which one would best suite for a nice decent drive but also something that

has a bit sporty feel to it?

also where can i get these springs?
Genma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

NF. Check the dealer tab of the tanabe website. I used p tunning in va.

NF best comfort, DF most drop.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't find any answer but does it void the warranty?
Tankfantry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

No, not unless you screw up the installation or they are the cause of a warranty repair down the road.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
No, not unless you screw up the installation or they are the cause of a warranty repair down the road.
Not 100% true.

I doubt your shocks would be covered by warranty, and dealers may be reluctant to work on other things if they believe the springs could cause the issue. (Engine mounts, frame mounts, etc). The spring warranty is definitely out the door.

The dealer will have to work hard to prove that the springs caused the failure of the system in question. Shocks and springs ae guaranteed out of warranty though.
Elucidus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not true? Basically they have to prove the modification caused the failure.

For the life of me I can not see Honda covering a warranty repair if you put the car back together wrong, that is clearly not a warranty repair if its user error. Likewise if you abuse the car or normal wear n tear items like batteries, tires, filters, belts, etc.

Be my guest if you want them to replace the oem shocks with MORE oem shocks if they fail earlier because of the different spring rate, I rather have a set of adjustible konis(SP?) myself.

Until the warranty expires, I wouldnt turbo, super or NOS the engine or upgrade the hybrid battery.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Not true? Basically they have to prove the modification caused the failure.

For the life of me I can not see Honda covering a warranty repair if you put the car back together wrong, that is clearly not a warranty repair if its user error. Likewise if you abuse the car or normal wear n tear items like batteries, tires, filters, belts, etc.

Be my guest if you want them to replace the oem shocks with MORE oem shocks if they fail earlier because of the different spring rate, I rather have a set of adjustible konis(SP?) myself.

Until the warranty expires, I wouldnt turbo, super or NOS the engine or upgrade the hybrid battery.
Assuming Koni ever makes a set of shocks for our car. I might be interested if that were the case, although it looks like top-adjustment would be a dream.

Nonetheless, it's definitely not 100% true as I said. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that it was. While he's safe in most cases except for the obvious, he could still have a fight on his hands if the dealer was firmly against modified cars. While dealers are paid by the manufacturer to do warranty work, if they agree to do something as warranty work and find out later that Honda denies it, they'll be left in the breeze.

I personally understand that once I've changed springs that I'd expect shocks to go, and with the increased spring rate of any aftermarket spring I'd rather have a better-built pair of aftermarket shocks, nonetheless, I wouldn't want the OP not to have the complete picture of what he's getting into, he may not be as technically savvy as you or me.
Elucidus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, considering its a new design and its not a honda part, if it is cause of the problem, its likely not covered.

In most cases unless you screw up the install the worse you can do is bottom out and wear the tires unevenly if not aligned properly afterwards. I had mines realigned and the toe was slight inwards.

I got the nfs and I have scraped the front once so far, no big deal. I use to scrape the front of my xb and it was stock ride height. I had lower springs on my xa and man, I would hit the front and sides on bumps, dips, etc. It was also a harsher ride as the springs was a higher rate and had many dead coils. I managed to screw up my led under body lighting that was tied to my cabin lamp. Nothing like keying the remote to unlock the doors and have the ground lit up around the car.

You could switch the parts back before service, but they can see you worked on it and thats dishonest. The springs is likely the least to upset the car vs forcing more air into the engine. Not that it can not be safely done, but if you have an engine problem after you mod it.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:

Your car looks great with the lowering and the color.
One thing you might want to add is the window visors. They would look sharp on yours.
jrlnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks. Its a metallic or metal flake, but my camera is 1990s technology, so it doesnt catch the sparkles.

I am on the fence about those as they hendered fuel economy on my past vehicles. I am waiting to see someone else do it and report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.