How to increase battery capacity? - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Its not like we can add a container under the car and fill it with liquid energy..............
The Electric Deloran was at Bookman's First NEDRA Spring Thaw in Tucson in April and he had his flux capacitor in it, but he wouldn't talk about it...
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
There is a gap or jerk when the ima checks out and lets the engine take over and it does the regen thing.

I still stand by my original theory that if you decide to drive the car inefficiently, the ima system decides to use this excess engine output to recharge the battery.

If you drive any of the prius it does this weird thing where it charges and assists all at the same time or so it looks like. They got the E CVT hand off down pack so its not that noticable at all as it switches between engine, assist and regen all at the same time.
Yes, I've noticed the small jerk when the ICE cuts in. When the ICE shuts off, there doesn't seem to be a jerk, but there often is when the ICE turns back on.

Whenever I'm driving, I'm often thinking about what is the best strategy for determining when and how quickly to recharge the battery. Cases like braking and deceleration are obvious, and the battery always gets charged at those times (unless it's already full), but there are also times when the IMA system scavenges engine power to charge. Sometimes it seems to me that it should do more scavenging, and sometimes less, but the computer can't know what's ahead, so it has to use some algorithm that tries to work well over a wide range of terrain and driving styles.

I definitely want to look into the PHEV kit, as it seems like has the potential to pay for itself after a few years of driving, but it would be nice to customize it so that as much of it as possible can be placed under the rear deck next to the spare tire, where all that styrofoam is right now.

Yah, the Prius is a different animal. I've never owned one, but my impression is that it's a more complex system. I think it has two motor-generators, which probably explains why it can charge and assist at the same time, acting almost like a series hybrid at times. The motor-generators are also not as tightly coupled to the ICE as the IMA motor in the Honda system. All this extra complexity and ability to act like a series hybrid at times seems to give the Prius a big MPG advantage in stop-and-go city driving. The Insight 2 performs pretty poorly in heavy stop and go driving. Fortunately there isn't much of that where I live, but one time I was down in LA and my mileage for a stop-and-go segment during rush hour was 38 MPG. That's still a lot better than an ICE-only vehicle, but it's less than the EPA estimate of 41 for "city" driving, and far less than the Prius is capable of in similar conditions. The PHEV kit probably helps a lot with that by keeping the SOC high so that the IMA can use more assist.

Of course, there is a cost for the extra complexity of the Prius system, and they cost around $3000 more than an Insight with a similar trim level.
drosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

The best you can do is learn your roiite and see how you can increase riding your brakes to allow more regen to stop you vs the actual braking material on the pads. Even if the IMA pack is full it also charges the 12 volt battery. We do not have an alternator and the dc to dc charger works when the battery is below 12.5 volts or if the car is regening.

One thing I do is a mini pulse and glide. For example I am on a lot of roads with a 45 mph limit. I will do 50 to catch the guy in front of me and let the car coast down to 40 and repeat. Many cases as I approach 40mph I see the light ahead turning and just ride the brakes to a stop and repeat.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
The best you can do is learn your roiite and see how you can increase riding your brakes to allow more regen to stop you vs the actual braking material on the pads.
Yah, I've been modifying my habits slowly. I live in a hilly area and I had gotten very used to downshifting on downgrades to avoid braking and wearing out brake pads. Obviously that habit had to change . It's pretty easy to watch the charge/assist gauge and know when it stops charging and I should then downshift to save the brake pads (those paddle shifters really make it easy). And, yes, I've also been learning to spread the braking out to get as much light-pedal braking as possible.

I did know about the IMA charging the 12V battery, so I always turn off any electrical things that aren't needed.

I've also found that fresh oil and fresh CVT fluid helps with fuel economy, so I'm changing those quite a bit more often than the display indicates.
drosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

An idea I had was to use a CAP. The IMA system ranges from 95 volts as dead and 117 volts as full, all DC. There are 4 terminals on top of the ima battery next to the braker switch where you can tap. That is where both my engine kit and grid charger/balancer taps. The Enginer kit puts out 120 volts 17 amps and gives a 10-15 mpg boost as well as makes the car more drivable. It does this by allowing more assist, longer durations of assist and whe coasting its actually coasts vs regen, so you go father on a P&G trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.