Window rattle fix - Page 4 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #31 (permalink)

has anyone thought of just turning up the radio ????

very cool idea! I will hopefully get my 2010 by this saturday. i put a deposit on one earlier this evening.

Quiet, Slow & Great fuel economy - 2010 Insight ET - who cares!

Tow vehicle - 2004 Four Winds 30Q Hurricane

Last edited by 8SEC6SPD; 01-10-2013 at 12:55 AM.
8SEC6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

My radio causes the windows, wiper blades and anything else loose to rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #33 (permalink)

Cobb,

is there a thread for mods to improve MPG's on these bad boys! ?

thanks alot, i just joined last night....late.

tia!
taner

Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #34 (permalink)

There are lots of them including some fails and cosmetic stuff. The best bang or your buck is a phev kit, but those were discontinued in October. You got the other eco mods like grill blocks, lowering, removing the rear bumper cover, pre charging the 12 volt starter battery, inflating your tired to the sidewall psi to name a few.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
There are lots of them including some fails and cosmetic stuff. The best bang or your buck is a phev kit, but those were discontinued in October. You got the other eco mods like grill blocks, lowering, removing the rear bumper cover, pre charging the 12 volt starter battery, inflating your tired to the sidewall psi to name a few.

what is a PHEV kit? is there a reason they were discontinued, and can they be found used?
removing the rear bumper cover...wtf! lol...

Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8SEC6SPD View Post
has anyone thought of just turning up the radio ????
Yeah, removing rear bumper cover helps withthe aero and something with the boundary layers as the air goes over and under the car.

Enginer.us made them and sold them in the US. I think Eric Powers of Powers EV sells them if you really want one. They were made in the wrong side of China and were prone to failures and problems. I think I lucked out getting a later kit and stopped using it til I can get the converter looked over and or rebuilt. They used lifepo4 batteries and some of the BMS had problems as well as the batteries.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #37 (permalink)

now that is a way to move some air in the cabin.

does someone make an aftermarket deck that drops in? or is it like most and adapted with a plate/bezel ?

i shouldn't look to you for any ideas. i have enough stereo gear collecting dust right now that if i decided to drop it in the wife might kill me, lol!

where did you mount your amp? is it on the back of the box?

all i would need to do is drop a few bucks on a half decent deck and i already have everything else to make it boom. unfortunately i used my other deck to upgrade the p.o.s. Xplod deck that wasn't working in the RV.

that can be a summer mod. as I don't feel like freezing my butt off outside at the moment.

so has the bumper cover removal netted a negligible gain in mpg's? what are the downsides to removing the lower bumper cover ( i am assuming it is under the back of the car)

Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #38 (permalink)

I couldn't see the pictures when I first tried this fix and I thought I was supposed to put the weatherstripping where the window comes out of the door... no wonder it didn't work LOL. Somewhere I got the info to buy 3/4" wide x 7/16" frost king weatherstripping but this was too thick. Fortunately I read here that someone cut their weatherstripping down so it wasn't so fat or I would have thought I'd have to go out and buy more. 1/4" would have been right and 3/4" wide was correct. It seems very snug. The window strains a tiny bit going up but I imagine over time it will squash down and the windows will go up with more ease. I'm going on a trip tomorrow and will be able to see if the windows still rattle. I will post here if there is still an issue. I'm looking forward to a quiet ride again!
erhymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjanracing View Post
After a little looking at how the window fits in the channel, I came up with a fix for the rattle.
Thank you so much. I found equivalent 'outdoor' weatherstriping from Ace, applied it to the channels of our 2010 Insight's front passenger window, and am about to take it for a ride.

It irks me that Honda was working on this under warranty, but now refuses to touch it becuase the car left warranty last year. But I'll take a $3-and-15-minute fix any day. ^_^
fustanella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #40 (permalink)

I don't see how to update my post except to reply, so here I go. I just wanted to report that in fact this fix did not end up working for me. Although I applied the weatherstripping, my windows still rattle! I want to get rid of my car because of it!!
erhymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.