Window rattle fix - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Window rattle fix

After a little looking at how the window fits in the channel, I came up with a fix for the rattle. So far it is working great and I think made the car a little quieter, even after the Dynamat installation. If you look at how the window fits in the channel, you'll see it really is quite loose. It is held ok all the way up, but half way down, there is a lot of slop. I'm going to try to post pictures along with my explanation of the fix.
Start with the window down.
Notice how you can open up the inner channel, you can do this gently with a screw driver. Just look at what you are doing and be careful.
Get some weather striping from HD or Lowes. Cut a lenght as shown. You don't have to fit the entire lenght of the channel, just most of it. Peel open the channel and fit the weather striping in the slot. You can peel a couple inches back, fit the strip, and work your way to the bottom of the channel. Fold the rubber back over the strip. You can kind of press it back to shape with the screw driver. Do the other channel. Test by rolling up the window slowly, make sure it doesn't bind. Now the window fits snugly in the channel. I did try a couple different weatherstrips and such, and this worked best for me. I gave it a test drive with the windows part way down and they didn't rattle a bit. I'll be able to tell better how they are with warm weather, but I think this will work really well. Give it a try. Like I said, I really think the car is quieter even with the windows up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0253.jpg (71.4 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0250.jpg (87.2 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0248.jpg (90.9 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0249.jpg (95.1 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0251.jpg (74.6 KB, 378 views)
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are a couple more pictures..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0252.jpg (59.1 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0253.jpg (71.4 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0254.jpg (49.5 KB, 252 views)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fantastic! It's really easy to remove the window channel. I had to do that to install my vent visors. So what you're doing is creating a tighter fit; while reducing wind noise at the same time. Excellent idea!

I think you have to be careful not to make it too tight; as it may strain the electric motor and cause premature burn out.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.

Last edited by firsthonda; 02-23-2012 at 12:11 AM.
firsthonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think those of us with vent visors only have to do the rear portion; as the visors already take up lots of the slack.
2010 EX with Zenex 35W HID Ballasts with Retrofit Source 4,300K Bulbs; with relay harness. Honda Splash Guards. Honda Vent Visors. Honda Rear Bumper Applique. Honda All Weather Floor Mats and Cargo Tray. Honda Leather Steering Wheel Cover. Yokohama Avid Touring S 195 60 15 Tires. Insulated doors for road noise with Quick Roof. kjanracings window rattle fix. Honda Accord Low Horn Upgrade.

Last edited by firsthonda; 02-22-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

This seemed to be a good amount of tension, snug, but not tight as a nun.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did you get that brand weather striping at Home Depot?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Home Depot.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthonda View Post
I think those of us with vent visors only have to do the rear portion; as the visors already take up lots of the slack.
Bear in mind that you are working with the slot that the window slides in. You are installing the weatherstrip to tighten up that slot. You ARE NOT taking the window channel out of the door. Look closely and you'll see the part I'm peeling back and putting the stripping behind.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

don't take this the wrong way kjanracing... but...

i love you .

i have visors with this car so i can always keep windows cracked since i prefer fresh air but that rattle is horrible.
maximrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I usually either leave my windows up or all the way down, but I have to admit the rattling at half-open does get annoying. I may have to try this out sooner or later.

Foam tape was actually the first thing I did to this car - attached a strip to the bottom of my license plate frame to stop it from rattling ... it's the little things that seem to have the biggest impact

Thanks for the pictures and information, kjan!
RahTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.