Fog Lights 2012 ex - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fog Lights 2012 ex

I really like the fog lights that were made available for the 2011 Insight. My question is there a kit for the 2012 Insight EX without Navigation? If so on a 1-10 scale what is the difficulty for a DIY 1 being easy and 10 being a having to be an electrical engineer.

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome aboard.

I checked with a local dealer and said they are not listed for a US option. They are available in the other seas.

Electrically they are the same as other fog lamps. Just a switch, relay, harness, lamp and halogen bulb. You could buy an aftermarket set and use them, just got to wire them up to pass inspection or disable them or further just cover the lamps with a piece of electric tape.

I have the oem lamps with hid ballasts and 3000k bulbs on a relay kit, so I can drive with fogs only. I did this for pea soup fog so I can see the edge of the road and idle alone at 15mph. For code they need to work with low beams only.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

PS, the kit was 300 bucks online, 600 at the dealer. It required the use of a dremel and removable of the front bumper, some pnp.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Cobb I appreciate the fast response and thanks for getting back to me on my other question to.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was wondering about this one, too, as I have the same 2012 EX. There are a few sellers on eBay who will purchase/ship JDM items to the states, and so I had one check with Honda dealers there. There is indeed an OEM Honda foglight kit available for the 2012. It's necessary to replace the turn signal bezels as well, and it seems there are two front end styles for the Insight in Japan so you need to choose carefully. It's very expensive, too...with taxes and shipping, it's over $700 for the package. I just don't get why these aren't available in the U.S.??
shig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

The ones for the 2010 costs the same from the dealer. You can find those in eBay for 400 bucks.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I noticed that the outfit that ordered me a 2012 foglight set from Japan is now offering to do the same on eBay...but be forewarned, the wiring harness is for right-hand drive and if you have a Honda dealer in the states do the install they will be confused. I tried to do that yesterday and although they mounted the new bezels with fog lamps, they bailed on trying to connect everything up. I was going to order the wiring harness for the USDM 2011 kit and hope it would fit, when the guy doing my audio installation said he could do it with minor mods to the Japanese harness. And he did. It's a pretty nice setup, the existing dashboard vehicle stability assist switch is replaced with a combination VSA/foglight switch, so an additional switch knockout doesn't get used up.
shig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I asked my dealer for prices and spec sheet, to see if maybe the whole assembly can be swapped.

RMasters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

That look is kind of growing on me. Unless the DRL/LED lamp worked I wouldnt be interested.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default My 2013 EX

I'm looking for options that will work for my new EX and wonder if something can be done with the lens and enclosure below the blinker. It's all one piece with the blinker housing and has room for a socket. But there is no cutout and plug for a OEM option to just install. I'm wondering if that lens could be used with some kind of bulb or led behind it to get an effective pattern to illuminate the shoulders of these country highways.

If no one has seen them yet, Maybe I can try and upload a picture if I can get a day off. 6 12-hour days followed by one or two days off doesn't leave a lot of extra time for this...

But I'd appreciate any insight you might have Cobb.

As for replacing the traction control switch, I liked the 2011 fog lite switch that went next to it. That looked great.

I love the improvements on this 2013, but I'm blasting American Honda on all these surveys I'm getting sent for the lack of options available on our Insights that can be gotten for Accords and Odysseys. Just because we want to get 50 mpg, doesn't mean we don't want our cars to be comfortable and fitted with conveniences we would have if it happened to be another model from the same manufacturer.

Drive safe brothers.
Custom Heated / Cooled Leather Seats, JVC KW-900BT , SiriusXM, CRV AM/FM/XM Antenna (Very Clean Look), HomeLink Auto Rearview mirror with compass and backup camera, Cargo Cover, Cargo Net, Led light upgrades, Sylvania SilverStar Lo & High Beam Headlights, Window Vents, 30% Tint, Mud Flaps, Highest trip mileage 53 mpg with cruise set @ 70mph when only 42 Degree out! I love these paddle shifters and 15" wheels!
Touche' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.