I can't see properly in the dark! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I can't see properly in the dark!

I'm finding the projector style headlights a little tame (main beams are great). I've upgraded the bulbs (non HID) and that helped a bit, but they seem to point a bit low (even on the 0 level setting). How can I adjust these further, or is it a trip to the garage?

It maybe my eyes, but the visibility seems less than with my other car.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
JamesK-insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default bulbs.

what kind of bulbs did you put in? i installed the silvania XE's and its was like the sun coming out of my headlights.
the only other thing is to do the HID conversion.

as far as the aim of the lights mine sat a little low as well but the 0 setting was enough adjustment for me.
sfrsemurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Headlight adjustment

I found the low beam headlights aimed too low as well, see the thread below, page through it until you find the pictures of where the adjustors are, they are very helpful. After adjustment they are fine. They do have a more pronounced horizontal cut off than ordinary headlights, which you can see if you look to the side as you are driving in the dark and see the horizontal line of where the headlights stop at a certain height.

I2 headlight aim too low?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrsemurray View Post
what kind of bulbs did you put in? i installed the silvania XE's and its was like the sun coming out of my headlights.
the only other thing is to do the HID conversion.

as far as the aim of the lights mine sat a little low as well but the 0 setting was enough adjustment for me.
I fitted H11 Ring XENON Ultima +120% Headlamp Bulb 55W. They are really bright, but I think aimed incorrectly.

I'd love to do the HID conversion, but there are legality questions in the uk unless you also fit auto levellers and headlamp washers. Even if you do that, it all has to be E marked as approved - nuts!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightfulone View Post
I found the low beam headlights aimed too low as well, see the thread below, page through it until you find the pictures of where the adjustors are, they are very helpful. After adjustment they are fine. They do have a more pronounced horizontal cut off than ordinary headlights, which you can see if you look to the side as you are driving in the dark and see the horizontal line of where the headlights stop at a certain height.

I2 headlight aim too low?
Thank you... I'll give it a try!

Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

The head lights are unique on the gen 2 insight. It took me a while toget use to them as they have a low cut off or squirell finder as some call them. I liked it once I got use to it and think it should be required on all cars and absolutely necessary if you want to go the hid or blue head lamp route.

You got drivers other there with blue, green or pink head lamps?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
The head lights are unique on the gen 2 insight. It took me a while toget use to them as they have a low cut off or squirell finder as some call them. I liked it once I got use to it and think it should be required on all cars and absolutely necessary if you want to go the hid or blue head lamp route.

You got drivers other there with blue, green or pink head lamps?
Had a look today and found the horizontal and vertical alignment bolt tops... hopefully a bit of tweaking will sort it.

Not so much with the green and pink over here... but the new legislation is tightening up on them. See the link below for info:

HID Kits - New Legislation 2012
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I found that a very minor tweak upwards did wonders for the low beams - and I still passed inspection and don't get flashed. I also installed H9 bulbs - they put out a lot of light, though burn out faster than the H11 bulbs.
2001 Forester (daughter's car)

Eastern MA
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I found that a very minor tweak upwards did wonders for the low beams - and I still passed inspection and don't get flashed. I also installed H9 bulbs - they put out a lot of light, though burn out faster than the H11 bulbs.
Just tweaked them up slightly - WOW! What a difference - I can see!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.