Can power inverter be hooked up to Insight? - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
The only problem with this is that you need something already producing 110 volts ac and it will match it.
If these are targeted primarily for solar generation systems, perhaps there are some that are designed to work with fully off-grid solar generation systems and therefore don't need a 110 AC source as a reference??

D
drosky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Interesting that the grid tie offer a range of input volts, but the non grid tie do not. I searched ebay and found a few 48 volt input as well as 240 volt input and those appear to be from the stock at Enginer as they went out of business.

I have a small 300 watt unit on order like the 2 I currently have in my solar setup. I will mess with it and see if it wil linfact work with a regular inverter and if its running, can I remove the non grid tie unit and still have power?

In that case if its true, Id love to get the big 5000 watt 220 output unit and back feed my whole home from my insight.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting that the grid tie offer a range of input volts, but the non grid tie do not. I searched ebay and found a few 48 volt input as well as 240 volt input and those appear to be from the stock at Enginer as they went out of business.
Wait - Enginer went out of business? So no more PHEV kits? That's pretty sad. Maybe the schematics are floating around so we can build our own.

There doesn't seem to be any indication of this on their website and it looks like the order page is still active, but the last "news" item is from July, so IDK
Old 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

I guess for someone into electronics its easy. I think right before they announced the end of Enginer there was talks about a 96 volt dc input inverter that was more efficient than the previous 48 volt models. Of course you needed 2 more battery packs and not sure how they handled charging of it they just used 2 chargers in serial like the batteries.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess for someone into electronics its easy. I think right before they announced the end of Enginer there was talks about a 96 volt dc input inverter that was more efficient than the previous 48 volt models. Of course you needed 2 more battery packs and not sure how they handled charging of it they just used 2 chargers in serial like the batteries.
OK, that's sad, I was just sort of getting interested in this, but am pretty busy right now with other things so was planning to wait a while, maybe till next summer or something, but now it might be a bit more challenging. I looked on ebay, and there is a company that claims to be selling off left-over Enginer equipment, like PHEV kits without the batteries. Maybe one should snap one of those up before they're gone?? The same ebay page says the one of the battery companies (A123 I think) has also gone out of business.

I do have a lot of electronics experience, but not so much with high power systems. It seems to me what you need to provide is a current limited voltage source which would have the effect of charging the IMA battery back up after assist events without waiting for the IMA motor to do it. I think if you just peg the battery voltage to some value, the ECU might flag errors because it won't ever detect a change in SOC. I'm guessing you have to let the SOC drop during assist events, but then charge it back up from the external batteries without waiting for the IMA to do it. You can probably fool the system that way.

You would need a DC-DC inverter with selectable voltage output and selectable current limit, some rudimentary BMS to charge the extra batteries and make sure they don't get overcharged or over-depleted, and of course, the batteries themselves. It sounds easy enough, but these kind of things always take time to design and debug and you'll probably waste some money making mistakes along the way. It's much easier to just buy it Or at least start from Enginer's design if they are willing to release it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you are near, maybe we can meet up one day?

Yeah, I think it helps the IMA system to have it sway with load, temperature as well as the price of tea in china.

As is the converter can put out way more than 17 amps, thats just the limit before you let the magic smoke out the diodes.

Id love to of invested in Enginer, but money is the issue. I make half what i use to.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
If you are near, maybe we can meet up one day?

Yeah, I think it helps the IMA system to have it sway with load, temperature as well as the price of tea in china.

As is the converter can put out way more than 17 amps, thats just the limit before you let the magic smoke out the diodes.

Id love to of invested in Enginer, but money is the issue. I make half what i use to.
I'm in northern CA, but from your profile it looks like you're in VA, so we'd have to wait until one of us had an opportunity to be on the opposite coast (which doesn't happen too often for me).

And yah, it seems like it would have been more successful for Enginer if it could have been sold as a 3rd party option/mod installed by dealers, like tire upgrades or fancy alarms, but I don't know how difficult that is to set up. These days, given the litigiousness of our society, it may be that auto makers restrict their dealers pretty heavily in terms of what 3rd party things they can sell.

The way they were selling it, it's not on most people's radar screens. I know I hadn't heard of it until after reading this forum for a while.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well, I was the 2nd beta tester for them. Enginer has a simplier design than the other guys and it works, although each design had its own problems. I think my success has come from unplugging the charger when its done, manual balancing the cells every now and then as well as not pushing the inverter for MORE POWER.

There was talk about using a PWM in place of the converter, but the tidal wave in Japan ruined those plans or was a good excuse as to why it cant be done by someone.

Just the other day I drove with and without the phev kit on, change is 10 mpg keeping up with traffic all from a flip of a switch, 44 vs 54 mpg.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I was the 2nd beta tester for them. Enginer has a simplier design than the other guys and it works, although each design had its own problems. I think my success has come from unplugging the charger when its done, manual balancing the cells every now and then as well as not pushing the inverter for MORE POWER.

There was talk about using a PWM in place of the converter, but the tidal wave in Japan ruined those plans or was a good excuse as to why it cant be done by someone.

Just the other day I drove with and without the phev kit on, change is 10 mpg keeping up with traffic all from a flip of a switch, 44 vs 54 mpg.
Yah, a PWM current source with a voltage cut-off limit might be more efficient design, because what you really want is to supply a charging current (not voltage) which stops after the battery reaches a certain voltage.

Going from 40 to 50 MPG doesn't sound like a lot but it is actually pretty significant. If the PHEV box cost $2,000 and gasoline is $4/gal, it will pay for itself in 25,000 miles (excluding the cost of the electricity to charge it, which might make it more like 30,000 miles). That's pretty decent. A side benefit (at least in this hilly area) is that your IMA battery might last longer because of not being deep-cycled as often.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Don't know anything about the 2nd gen Insight, but;

I had narrowed my inverter choice for high voltage DC to one of these:

Aurora Wind | Power-One

I saved the pdf's for the PVI 6000-OUTD-US-W and the small PVI's 3.0, 3.6 and 4.2

That has been a while, so I don't remember much of the details.

I would probably try to use the juice directly off the IMA motor in some form, unless I had more battery capacity to feed one of these inverters.

Randall
MIMA #005

dimensioned pdf's of the battery case
highwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.