Force to run on IMA Motor - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

I added it at the following link with the same video unavailable due to location: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6E...0RSOGtyaUtGVnM
Quality's not there at all in the video though you may get a sense of the speed;... you can hear the toots of other motorists at the end when he's running out of battery.
"Honda Insight 3+ km on IMA battery. Speeds vary from 40 to 72 km/hr. Road mostly mildly downslope with 2 long flat parts."
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks, yes, he is abusing the "EV" mode of the i2. Guessing its in metric, saw the dash read 54 one time and 78 another.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Whoops, didn't see this was in the I2 forum .
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Forget about it, the app doesnt tell you half the time either. I just read what looks interesting and move on.

I need to get my hands on a gen 1 and just see if there is some undocumented ev mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwichse View Post
Whoops, didn't see this was in the I2 forum .
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

There is with MIMA/IMAC&C

I just drove all around the parking lot at my apartment complex with 2 notches of IMA dialed in in 2nd gear and the injector pulse width read 0 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Forget about it, the app doesnt tell you half the time either. I just read what looks interesting and move on.

I need to get my hands on a gen 1 and just see if there is some undocumented ev mode.
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
AFAIK these are the options I've seen in my I1... none are efficient due to the attached ICE air pumping ... and limited 10kw IMA... and limited IMA battery kwh ... etc.

Option #1>
With MIMA if you force enough Assist and high enough ICE RPMs to get into fuel cut mode you are in a pure EV Mode ... will work in any gear or speed ... as long as you have enough Assist induced load and high enough RPMs to get to fuel cut ... I've done this a few times years ago as an experiment in all 5 gears.

Option #2>
Same as Option #1 , except using FAS to force a fuel cut at lower RPMs and or Assist levels... I did this a a few years ago during the same experimenting , and was able to go 3.7km from a dead stop up a slight incline.

Option #3>
If you are already getting some assist when you run out of gas ... you can keep going on IMA Assist until you also run out of IMA battery... I did this during the same experiments where I used FAS to simulate running out of gas , and just flooring the gas pedal in higher gear to get the IMA assist , without using MIMA ... but the MIMA options in #1 and #2 above do given more control over the amount of Assist being used.

I do not know if this behavior is the same on all versions ... but it worked consistently with my 2000 I1 a few years ago when I did the experimenting with it.

I could be wrong ... but I thought the I2 made use of the closed pistons ... turning the pistons into air springs ... and thus had a more efficient EV mode ability due to not running the ICE as a air pump.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +DabrowskiGridCharger +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass
  • E-Bike: Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive+8 spd rear hub +500W front hub motor +36v12Ah LiFePO4 +CycleAnalyst Meter
  • On-Going Project: LiFePO4 PHEV Mod
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Doesn't the Insight have the same valve-shutting v-tec mode where the cylinders act as air springs in fuel cut mode? At least in the hch1, this means there's not all the pumping losses, just a lot of friction losses in the turning engine.
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

No it doesnt. The HCH1 is much more effcient at regen than the I1 as a result of this. Also Asfaik The HCH1 only does the air springs shut off when decelrating/fuel cut on three of the four cyclinders.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Oh weird, I thought I was just nuts remembering that one of the cylinders had different valve clearances than the other three. Guess that explains that.

Sent from my Nexus S using AutoGuide.Com Free App
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.