Force to run on IMA Motor - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Force to run on IMA Motor

Hi,

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but please bare with me

Just wondering whether insight's motor is powerful enough to drive the car?( It doesn't matter relatively slow speeds).

My country has very bad traffic at times and if I can force the car to switch to motor that would be cool. Wonder whether anyone have tried this.
mkgninsight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, it's called MIMA, contact retepsnikrep for purchase info in your area.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg

2000 Insight, "The Basket Case" @178k miles, 64.5 mpg so far
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its for the gen 1 insight only. I think the electric part is rated at like 13 hp.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Search this site, I think someone did it and you can go a few miles on the IMA battery until the charge is used up. Not real far though.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The gas engine is turning whenever you are moving the electric motor. That means you have pistons, compression, and everything else in the engine moving. It's extremely inefficient to drag around the internals of the engine without it contributing.

Try pulling your fuel pump fuse, start the car, floor the accelerator and carefully release the clutch(but before it stops its startup attempt), it's gutless when you are dragging the engine around. In reality, the electric motor could really move the car at low speeds but with the gas engine in place and all of its parasitic losses, you're wasting your time.

MIMA allows you to control the electric motor manually but running it without the gas engine doing some work along the way is not the way to go for the best efficiency.

The video that Need4Speed is talking about was called "Insight EV.mp4" on Youtube but I just searched and didn't find it. May have been unlisted(bane of my Internet existence), deleted, or the name changed. You aren't missing much though, it's a video zoomed all the way in, shaking, he pulls a relay, when trying to drive it, his battery is shot so he gets a negative recal after the second acceleration probably not even 1/10 mile after he pulls away and he tries to start it a few times wondering why it won't move while the car is going through the negative recal. It's easy to duplicate it yourself, pull power from your fuel supply, start car and immediately start feeding the clutch to get the car moving and then floor it to get IMA.

Now that I think of it, there is a much better couple of videos from uhtrinity when he had his first dual pack setup where he did a long run at 30 amps(I think). That was a pretty good video but either way, the car doesn't go that fast.

Last edited by MN Driver; 11-09-2012 at 01:22 PM.
MN Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Driver View Post
The video that Need4Speed is talking about was called "Insight EV.mp4" on Youtube but I just searched and didn't find it.
Here's one where the guy is going 3+ km over about 5 minutes. The engine is reving. Its' an I2 so it's Greek to me. lolz
Honda Insight 3+ km on IMA battery.mp4 - YouTube [may be blocked in your region. try below]
or
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6E...0RSOGtyaUtGVnM
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

Last edited by AbCaRed00; 11-09-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add video to google docs cloud
AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd actually like the ability to crawl through stop and go traffic using just IMA, without having the gas engine start up every time I need to move 2 feet.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

"THIS VIDEO CONTAINS CONTENT FROM EMI WHICH HAS BLOCKED IT FROM YOUR COUNTRY FOR VIEWING"
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

The UK and much of Europe has some crazy angry copyright stuff where you can have the content there but not anywhere else. Just like if you go to the BBC website and try to watch content, people outside of the UK can't see any of their shows, news, etc. Sucks a little bit because I wanted the UK perspective on the US election.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I had uploaded a video where a song was playing by Iron Madien in the back ground. I got a notice from youtube that the video would not play the audio in some country because of the price of tea in china or some bull crap answer.

Maybe those who can see the video can describe it? I am guessing they are coating down a long hill or too have a phev kit. 3km sounds like a mile or less. I can do 3 miles in ev mode before a negative recall occurs with my phev kit, however to enter ev mode you must be over 12 mph and not have the heater on Hi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.