IMA question - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IMA question

I am curious to find out how to start the car with the 12v starter. The app through me off and I asked in the G1 forum. Would flipping the IMA switch cause the car to start and run only with the gasoline and 12v systems? I have 2010 EX with nav. Currently at 29,000 miles and have never used the 12v starter. I hope it isn't seized up. I'm located in Tennessee so it has been in a pretty mild climate it's entire life. I don't want to cause any damage or headache by reseting or losing anything.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App
sphardrocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not sure about a Gen 2 but yes on a Gen 1 turning off the IMA battery will cause it to start on 12V. Also cold weather below around 45F will start the Gen 1 on the 12V. Give it a try and see if it works, remember to hold the key in the start position for a few seconds to see if the system realizes that the IMA is disabled.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I flipped the switch today and tried starting. I guess my 12v battery is dead or dying cause the car wouldn't start. It would turn over really slow but not start. I flipped the switch back on and it was still trying to start with the 12v. I was beginning to get scared as I couldn't get it started but finally after 5 or 6 tries the ima battery kicked in and the car started fine. All of the ima lights, charging system, brake, and check engine lights came on but went off after driving for a few minutes. I guess Italy time for a new 12v battery.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the 12v battery tested today at O'reilys and confirmed that the battery was in fact dead/bad. Headed to dealership tomorrow. $110 for the battery seems like a lot for such a small one.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

do you mean the battery in the engine compartment?

Quiet, Slow & Great fuel economy - 2010 Insight ET - who cares!

Tow vehicle - 2004 Four Winds 30Q Hurricane
8SEC6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, the 12 volt one. It was actually replaced under warranty. Apparently the 12v batteries come with a 3 year warranty. I'd never heard of that before but I'm not gonna argue...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.