Disconnecting egr p2 - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you got an odb2 scanner that can clean cel or a friend with one, then its just a matter of unplugging it and going for a spin.

Unlike a traditional car that uses vacuum to mix it in when not under a load our engines are artificially loaded up to 80% with the cvt ratio.

Anyway, Ive posted, Ive tested I am leaving it inoperative for performance, but it does reduce mpg. I find with just light pressure on the throttle its easy to exceed the posted limit vs having to give it half throttle in eco mode on the local roads.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

What ODB2 tool should I get? Are there tools that also provide info on the IMA system?
I have searched but would like an experts opinion.

Most of the time my CVT runs out of cone before being able to load the engine to 80%. At 50mph it runs 1600 RPM and keeps doing that on a slight incline and such. Only when I put my foot down it will raise. So I guess that's not 80% load all the time. And in the city, definitely less than 80% load never mind the gear ratio.
But that's good news; there's room for the EGR and WAI to make a difference.

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-16-2013 at 04:42 AM.
RedDevil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

This wiki link explains EGR operation prety well.
Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also read manufacturer's tech manuals to learn about this and related subjects.

"EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output. This is because it reduces the intake charge density. EGR is also omitted at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle."

I have a full function Honda scanner that can read all parameters of the PCM.
As I said, the egr is NOT operating at idle, operates to varying degrees at part load-controlled by its map in the PCM- and DOES NOT operate at higher engine loads.
I don't understand how blocking off EGR flow with a plate will help engine power when there is NO EGR flow in the first place.
I must be missing something.
Also, I did unplug my EGR valve. The CEL came on. No difference in running that I could tell. I guess Cobb's Seat of the Pants o Meter is different than mine.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for the link.
Is that Honda scanner usable as an ODB2 tool, and anything near affordable? And, would you recommend it (or what else)?

Let's keep the PSSL(*) out of the discussion, but deleting the EGR will reduce engine heating; combined with grill blocks that will have a big effect if only for reducing air intake temperature.
Here and now engine heating is an asset; even with full LGB and no snorkel the intake temperature stays below 80F.

(*) Pant Sensory Sophistication Level
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Maybe the code is causing it to alter the afr?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

There may be some type of adaptive strategy happening when you unplug the thing. You may even get a CEL after installing the plate and plugging it back in, depending on how Honda verifies that monitor. Either way, if the CEL is on, or even if it stays off after the deleting that emission control ,the engine is polluting more. You are ok with that?
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah, Im ok with that. Its not like I removed the cats, live in a dirty city or am subject to the tail pipe probe.

Somehow with this change Ive shaved 5 minutes off my commute to work and 11 on my way home.

I also like having to lift from the throttle merging because the traffic in front of me isnt accelerating at the same rate. Thats a good problem to have with an economy car.

Its almost like driving with eco mode off but I still got auto stop and the lax acceleration of the cruse control.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ive been unsuccessful at runing a 0-60 run once if not multiple times to test the performance. I am finding a speeding red car with the front end masked up when it appears in peoples rear view mirrors causes them to slow up, get in the way and ust disrupt your attemps. I do however like seeing the cars in my rear view mirror get smaller and farther away.

Here is my next to last attempt. As you can hear from the audio and from my passenger the engine has a much better sound. Andys truck reference is to the supercharged tacoma I owned for about 11 thousand miles I bought at an estate sale and traded for the Insight. It has the v6 in it and Borla exhaust.

Basically I thought I had a clear way. The car in front of me slowed up as I approached 60. I then proceeded to slow to 50 and move to the center lane to do a 50-70 test, no sooner I started to accelerate into that venture the same car turned on its left turn signal. I slowed up again for the car. No attempts to move were made, so I do what I do when anyone stops half way in a turn or some other deviant behavior, I basically stayed in his blind spot at that point waiting for him to move.

He ended up taking the next right off the road with his left signal on.

Attempted 0-60 with egr delete - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.