Disconnecting egr p2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Disconnecting egr p2

EGR delete or disconnecting the egr. I did this once before and lost 20 mpg on my partial trip to work where I tested eco mods. Lets keep in mind I normally netted around 90 mpg, so I wouldnt sweat it. Ill see what my real world mpg is in a few days.

It did help with the jerkyness at 20-40 mph. It also caused a check engine light after some miles and prevented auto stop.

This time around I did it for performance. Wow, this car has a nice acceleration rate under 3 grand and I see positive timing vs it being retarded -19 degrees. Plus in the winter it keeps the heat warm not having it stop at the few stop lights I have.

Ill try it for a few more days, but so far its made the insight a whole new car to drive.

FYI, its the mushroom shaped thing on the lassenger side at the front left corner of the engine. I just unplugged it. Next Ill try a blocking plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Man, this really brought new life to the i2. On the way home I got the check emissions light. No big deal since I unplugged the egr and have an sg2 to clear codes. I have a grade to go up half a mile from a 35 to a 65 mph zone. I always hang at 50 mph and the vtec kicking in, you know the angry bees sound behind me. Today I slowly accelerated up the hill and no sound of the vtec or bees behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man, it pulls to redline and you get true engine braking. Even with the snorkle delete and 117+ degree air it retards the timing, but it still pulls. You can barely feel a negative recal with it. This is really a fun car to drive and so far my loss has been 3 mpg on my daily commute. I went from 49 on the mid to 47.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am making this a perment modification.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Got a check engine light again. I checked it and see a slight circle on the blocking plate. I made a hole for it to stick through and will try it again.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

The EGR can only get exhaust gas into the intake manifold if there is a positive pressure difference.
So maybe blowing the intake with a fan might disrupt the EGR too, but only when it is needed?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since doing this I have edited the blocker plate from a small hole to a larger hole on the exhaust side, assuming the servo moves through the opening. After clearing the check emissions check engine light I still get the code anywhere from 30-300 miles. Once the code is generated it limits auto stop and ev mode, but next cycle its back, the error and fuel saving features.

Overall I think its worth it as you got the performance of having eco mode off with the further fuel savings features like the dead petal and casual acceleration of the cruse control. If you hammer the throttle it kicks right in and the acceleration is just more torque in nature below 3 grand and above 5 grand.

With it and my more agressive driving I lost 3 mpg. Ill see if I can be more lax like previous and what it nets.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry, I have to call BS on this one. The EGR isn't commanded on in high load situations, so unplugging it or blocking it off can't make any difference in power. EGR is a part load thing. It is off at idle and off at higher loads, and very closely controlled when it is called for. I don't know if one can read EGR in a generic scanner on the Insight, but with a full function scanner you will see exactly what I'm talking about.
kjanracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Go ahead, challenge me, unplug it and see what happens. I seriously doubt it follows that logic as its not vacuum controlled. I think the i2 uses it for emissions control in a proactive manner at various rpms if not timing settings as higher timing can increase NOX.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

@Kjanracing: Can you provide the source of that information? I am considering a regulated WAI and am aware that the EGR may lessen its efficiency. So I like to know the ins and outs of this to make the right decision.
Your explanation sounds reasonable enough but contradicts Cobb's practical data. Which raises my interest in the situation; there is something to learn here. And I want to make a rWAI that works well of course.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.