Bilstein front struts - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 2nd Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Discussions

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bilstein front struts

Bilstein makes front struts for the 2009/10 Fit. Will these work for the I2? Any opinions? These are really expensive!
Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.Com Free App
WFalicoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bilstein front struts

I see that even though the Fit is lighter (2520 lb) vs the I2 (2750) the weight on the front is approximately the same due to the difference in weight distribution (62/38 vs 58/42). So maybe the Bilstein struts might work, assuming they match the i2 component.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I say go for it. The fact the Fit is slightly lighter will make for a more cush ride for the i2.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I say go for it. The fact the Fit is slightly lighter will make for a more cush ride for the i2.
I checked another site and the Bilstein's are actually coil overs (this was stated in the web site I looked at 1am this morning at www.eshock.com). The car would be lowered a minimum of 30 mm. Considering that they only make front components this would not be very desirable in my view.

See for details Suspension Products for 2009 Honda Fit

But perhaps Bilstein will make a complete set for front and rear one of these days giving another choice of coil overs from the Mugen, etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I must correct what I said above. Apparently, the Bilsteins on tirerack.com are for both front and rear. The price is around a $1000 so this is much less than Mugen and others. The product shown on eshocks.com claims to be the front struts only for the same price! See eshocks.com: Bilstein Shocks and Struts: Fit
I wonder if eshocks has the correct info?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

KYB is now making replacement struts and shocks for the 2009 to 2010 Honda Fit. These are the Excel-G gas products so I don't know if this would be an improvement. You can see that the front struts sell for around $85 each 2009-2011 Honda Fit Strut Assembly - KYB 338002 - Front Left - PartsGeek.com. the part number for the front left is 338002 and right 338001, while the KYB product num for the rear shocks is 348016. Given the weight distribution difference between the FIT and the I2, I think the front struts would be suitable for the I2, assuming the size and shape is compatible. I have these KYBs on my Subaru Impreza (2009) and they are decent (it is said that Subaru OEM components are in fact made by KYB). Anyway this is perhaps the first choice I have seen for the I2 that does not break the bank.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFalicoff View Post
KYB is now making replacement struts and shocks for the 2009 to 2010 Honda Fit. These are the Excel-G gas products so I don't know if this would be an improvement. You can see that the front struts sell for around $85 each 2009-2011 Honda Fit Strut Assembly - KYB 338002 - Front Left - PartsGeek.com. the part number for the front left is 338002 and right 338001, while the KYB product num for the rear shocks is 348016. Given the weight distribution difference between the FIT and the I2, I think the front struts would be suitable for the I2, assuming the size and shape is compatible. I have these KYBs on my Subaru Impreza (2009) and they are decent (it is said that Subaru OEM components are in fact made by KYB). Anyway this is perhaps the first choice I have seen for the I2 that does not break the bank.
According to KYB the Excel Gs are: "Calibrated to be 15% stiffer over OE to compensate for worn suspensions".
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Bilstein front struts

I dont think you want 15% stiffer, for the shocks.

Maybe you can find a vendor selling them and work a deal if you are not happy with them? Thats what I did with the progressive 09 fit rear sway bar. The seller said i had to pay for shipping if it didnt work and I wanted a refund.

I am going to try my wheel spacers again. I had removed them thinking they caused the tires to kick up stuff on the door panels, but the door panels look the same without them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

I found that redshift motor sports offer Koni sport rear shocks for the 2009/10 Honda Fit. http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com/R...spPackages.htm

Old 01-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

There is a reference to the adjustable rear konis here http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-g...el-shocks.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.