problem with door locks - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ivelostr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecvt
Quote:
you can either lock the door with the key from the outside or use
the remote from the outside, but you can't lock it without closing the door.
I dont' understand...Why wouldn't you want to close the door then lock
the doors using the remote?...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner
becuase I was having a problem with my actuator, and the driverside door wouldn't lock with the remote. It would beep. but it would still be unlocked.
CVT #0020
ivelostr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yer right! You can lock the door by holding the inside handle out while pressing the lock button, then closing the door without touching the handles. This is a good feature because it discourages you from getting locked out accidently, but allows you to lock the door when closing it without having available a key or remote.
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
you hold open the handle on the inside of the door, and click the lock into the locked position. without holding the handle open, the lock will not click over to the locked position.
This is a really good description, better than the one on page 69 of the 2000 Owners Manual because ivelostr2 points out that it is the inside driver's side handle that is pulled out while simultaneously clicking the door tab to lock position.

When I first got my Insight I made all sorts of extraneous and contorted hand movements before the method comfortably "clicked". Now this is the usual way I lock the doors. It's convienient because my hand is already on the door handle getting out and because it locks all the locks, including the hatch, at once on the car. If people are watching I use the remote so that they will not mistake the Insight for primitive transportation.

As far as the car locking on its own, sometimes mine will lock after a few minutes and at other times it has stayed unlocked for an hour. It's erratic...probably a response to embarrassing it earlier w/ my silly hand waving.
3rd Insight: Silver 2010 new!
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Mateo
Default not unique to insights

This "holding the handle open" to lock the doors is not unique to Insights. My 89 Civic and 87 CRX both require you to do this to lock the door. I thought my door was broken when I first bought the car.

Turns out those tricky Honda Engineers are just trying to save me the hassle of locking my keys in my car.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

OK, Jacston12, I'm waiting for you to edit your post to add the link to some product or service unrelated to this forum or to the 7-year-old thread to which you replied in your very first post. Then I'll report you as a spammer to end your short spammer career here. Bring it on

Edit: Thanks to the admins who have apparently deleted Jacston12's account and posts.
Uppsala, Sweden: 2000 Insight A/C #559 with Honda security system, Genesis One MIMA+FAS and grid charger, OBDIIC&C, Rostra, Fumoto, DEFA engine block heater, Philips LED DRL's
Honolulu: 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Last edited by aisbell; 11-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
aisbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.