problem with door locks - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ivelostr2
Default problem with door locks

Here's my deal...

A few months ago, my father had a crack head digging a ditch around our house for drainage. The next day i went to go through a toll booth on my way to work, and I noticed my change cup was empty. I figured I must have left the doors unlocked for some reason. the i noticed I cam out of a store and my door was unlocked. My keyless remote was working, it honked when i locked the door, but the door wasn't actually locking. I had to manually pull the handle, click the lock into the locked position, and release the handle everytime I got out of the car. I took it to the dealer, they had to order an "actuator," it cost like $35 for the part and $65 to have it put in. It locks now, but sometimes it locks for no reason, last week it locked with the keys in the ignition, I was lucky and my girlfriend had her set to my car. If i hit the remote unlock, it unlocks, and then as I lift the handle it locks. I have to open it as I am unlocking it, or use the key to unlock it.
Anyone else ever have any problems with the door locks like this. Im just wondering if I'm gonna have to pay for more parts and labor...
CVT #0020
ivelostr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

The actuators do die fairly frequently on Honda's, and all things considered the repair cost is pretty reasonable. And also the behavior your having is normal, the car auto locks after a certain period of time. Maybe the actuator has been broken longer than you realized.

That said, my passenger side tried to die on me to where it took three or four tries to get it to unlock. Some how it sort of fixed itself, which I wasn't too happy about because the service manager told me my Honda care would have covered it, plus they had them in stock so it must be a common part shared with another Honda.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

My car door won't lock by holding up the outside handle the way you described. Maybe they changed the parts somewhere along the line?
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
the behavior your having is normal, the car auto locks after a certain period of time.
But it locks immediately and with the keys in the ignition? I was delivering pizza on Sat. and forgot to leave my window down, the doors locked while the keys were in the ignition between me closing the drivers door, and me walking to the hatch to get out the pizza. I had to knock on the womans door to use her phone b/c mine was locked in the car, and we had to make her new pizza while someone drove 30 minutes to my house and back to get the spare key that my girlfriend had forgotten in her purse at home.
CVT #0020
Old 09-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
My car door won't lock by holding up the outside handle the way you described. Maybe they changed the parts somewhere along the line?
I descibed this badly I guess, You have to hold open the handle on the inside, and flip the door locks for it to lock when getting out of hte car.
CVT #0020
Old 09-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
the behavior your having is normal, the car auto locks after a certain period of time.
This is new information to me. To my knowledge, I've never known my Insight to autolock. Occassionally, when I have forgotten to lock the car at night the doors are still unlocked in the morning.

Is there something wrong with my car that needs warranty work, or did I just misunderstand the comment?
5 speed, A/C
Lawson Huntley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Rick

Hmm, maybe it's a disableable function. Mine deffinitely locks on it's own about a minute after unlocking it. I'll research it and get back to you.
92 Saturn SC2 Electric, Arizona Alt fuel plate "ZEROGAS"
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2005, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine (2005) does, too. If you lock it with the remote, then unlock it with the remote but don't open the door, then the interior light goes on and stays on for about 30 seconds, then it goes out and the doors lock by themselves.

I still don't get the other part, though, about locking it by closing the door while holding the handle out...
Dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2005, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie

I still don't get the other part, though, about locking it by closing the door while holding the handle out...
sorry im bad at esplaining with out being able to draw something...

picture yourself in the driver seat, if you want to get out and lock the door, you can either lock the door with the key from the outside or use the remote from the outside, but you can't lock it without closing the door. if you try to lock it when the door is open, it just wont do it. Unlsee you hold open the handle on the inside of the door, and click the lock into the locked position. without holding the handle open, the lock will not click over to the locked position. sorry if Im not doing a good job explaining it...
CVT #0020
Old 09-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
you can either lock the door with the key from the outside or use
the remote from the outside, but you can't lock it without closing the door.
I dont' understand...Why wouldn't you want to close the door then lock
the doors using the remote?...

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner
Low Speed Auto Stop (LSAS)
ABS - IMA regen enabler (allows regen during ABS)
Relocated outside temp sensor near mid engine
Cooling fans powered by 12V Solar Panel

2004 CVT Red Insight

2001 MT Blue Insight
Installed clutch switch with relay for AutoStop
(on the road with 290,000 miles)
joecvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.