Adventures with Bird, my 2005 Insight - Page 7 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2017, 03:38 PM   #61 (permalink)
Learner

I've started working on things that will eventually lead to installing my backup camera.

The passenger seat's left front mounting bolt was sheared off when I bought the car.

Thankfully, with some drilling and an a bolt extractor it came out with minimal fuss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 04-17-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Bull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 AM   #62 (permalink)
Learner

Yesterday, I removed both seats from the car. The passenger one to fix the sheared off bolt and the driver's one to give me unfettered access for routing cables. While I was at, it I figured this would be as good as time as any to clean the seat covers.

Here is a before and after shot of the passenger seat. The driver's side looked pretty much the same.

After laundering the seat covers, I sprayed on couple of layers of Scotchgard before reinstallation.

Details on how I removed the seat covers can be found in my video that shows this process.

Next up: More disassembly!

I needed access to the car behind the rear bumper cover. Unsurprisingly, after 12 years of never being cleaned, it was filthy behind there. I pushed the car up the driveway and pressure washed the back of the car and well as the inside of the bumper cover.

Much cleaner now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 04-18-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
Learner

While I'm at it, will also take the time to clean up some unsavory aftermarket wiring that I've discovered during disassembly. Things like the power wire for a cargo area power socket run haphazardly across the spare tire well, unprotected underneath the cargo mat and severely pinched by the driver's door sill.

But enough of that. I intend to mount the backup camera in the middle of the rear bumper, just above the license plate. The problems with that is that camera would then completely occlude the license plate light.

I traded for a complete license plate light assembly at the 2016 Insightfest. Time to put it to use. In theory, one could mount up to three light assemblies on the rear bumper.

I completely dissembled the factory license plate light harnesses and spliced them together under the tubing that runs inside the car.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 04-18-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:11 AM   #64 (permalink)
Learner

The camera that I am using is Rear View Safety's RVS-770. This camera is bulky and weighs over a pound. On the upside, it has a 130 degree field of view, an IP69K waterproof rating, as well as a compliment of 18 Infrared LEDs that truly enable the ability to see in the dark (RVS advertises a 50 ft range)

This bracket is a culmination of over ten hours of effort. At it's core is a single piece of 16 gauge aluminum. The fasteners are all stainless steel and I have used nylon washers to hopefully curb galvanic corrosion. Finally, the black camera mounting brackets were cut off of the supplied bracket and fitted to my specific application.

Here is what it all looks like from the inside of the bumper.

And a view from inside of the car. The black wire in the bottom slightly left of center is the camera cable. Above that is my modified license plate light harness reinstalled into it's factory mountings.

Some final notes about this modification.
  • I drilled two holes into the bumper to help support the bracket. They are hidden by the license plate and won't be visible.
  • In the center hole where the camera is mounted, I had to trim away some non critical parts of the plastic (visible here) to make room to tilt the camera up.

Last edited by Bull Dog; 04-20-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #65 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Steering Wheel Cruise Control

Bulldog, are you going to post a final schematic and BOM for your S2000 steering wheel project?
minor4326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 01:27 PM   #66 (permalink)
Learner

Yes, I still intend to. But honestly, I have been waiting to release more details about the Cruise Cancel Brake Mod until I've had a chance to drive my car and make sure no other issues appear.

Assuming everything goes as planned, I should have Bird reassembled and ready to drive on Sunday.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:22 AM   #67 (permalink)
Banned

I haven't been commenting along the way, but lovely to see some outstanding workmanship on Insight Central.
JulianEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 03:25 AM   #68 (permalink)
Learner

The project is coming along nicely and I have some cool information to share too. Tonight however, I have something different.

I was helping out in the garden this evening and we had a beautiful sunset.

Which gradually bloomed into...

...a spectacular show of reds and oranges.

More, regular updates will follow in the morning.

Old Today, 06:16 AM   #69 (permalink)

Ahhh, the pleasures of prairie life.
Old Today, 07:19 AM   #70 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

This is a good thread Bull Dog some very nice pics of your mods..

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question