grid charger/balancer - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Wink grid charger/balancer

I did some research into HV CC power supplies, and think we can get off the shelf components to make one for less than $100.

The supply would be made with:

LPC-20-350---------$16.57
LPC-20-350, Mean Well LPC-20-350
Constant current supply

three RS-25-48-----$20.16-----$60.48
RS-25-48, Mean Well RS-25-48
Adjustable fixed voltage

one RS-15-12-------$18.14
RS-15-12, Mean Well RS-15-12
to run the battery fan

All supplies are universal AC inputs 85-260VAC, have isolated outputs.
The outputs of the three fixed 48V and one constant current supply would be connected in series to yield a 148 to 192VDC 350MA CC supply for the charging/balancing supply, and the 12V supply connected to the battery cooling fan.

The TRC people only sell to OEM, but I could order them through my business.
Of course if we did a group buy, the pricing could be better.
Output fuse and diode, and some leads and power cord, and we have a 350MA CC grid charger/balancer for just a bit over $100.

http://99mpg.com/Data/resources/down...dchargerv1.pdf

Last edited by Mike Dabrowski 2000; 06-08-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mike,

Keeping in mind that I'm an electrical idiot,

What would this be used for? Charging the battery overnight? Could it be used to restore a weak battery?

Thanks!
Bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisbonian View Post
Mike,

Keeping in mind that I'm an electrical idiot,

What would this be used for? Charging the battery overnight? Could it be used to restore a weak battery?

Thanks!
It would be used to keep the Insight pack from going out of balance and developing P1447 errors. You would simply top up your battery every month or so.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default grid charger

I the install is fairly simple, count me in on a group buy.

Kevin
jkbrushaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

What would happen if you used this every night? Would it damage the battery?

In my daily drive I go about 120 miles but over a 9 hour period. What would happen if I had a 12 deep cycle battery with an inverter powering the power supply to keep the pack up while the car is at rest between drives? I have an inverter going anyway to keep my laptop alive all day.

Thanks,
thedhgroup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would be interested in the charger as well, so please keep me in mind for a group buy.

I understand that your immediate selection in a power supply would be fixed at 350 mA, but if I could chose, my selection would be more like 200 mA or so, or at least one that could taper off at higher voltages. That way it wouldn't be quite so critical if I forget to disconnect at the proper time, or fuss with a timer to do the same.

As ogregev mentioned, my intent would be to use it once a month or so to keep the cells balanced, and maybe replenish things on an occasional heavy use day.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogregev View Post
It would be used to keep the Insight pack from going out of balance and developing P1447 errors. You would simply top up your battery every month or so.
It sounds pretty good to me.

Very interested if a group buy comes together.
Bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will talk with the TRC engineer, to see if he feels this would be safe, and then I will buy a set so I can build a prototype, and define some safe ways to tie it into the pack and bring out the charge port on a safe HV connector.
I can make battery fan connectors like I use for MIMA, that will allow plugging into the fan easily.

With the fan running, 350MA will be safe for days and would top off a pack in less than 24 hours.

We could use a simple 240V light bulb as a discharge load, and put in an automatic cycler, so you could leave it unattended for a weekend, and start off the week with a refreshed battery.
Another use would be to grid charge the insight pack with it so you could start most days with a full pack. a mini PHEV.

I just got this report from Allert in Holland: Who rebalanced a really weak pack.
See his users profile at the bottom of this page:
MIMA Users Page - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

"Allert said:
I just want to let you know that my battery is doing fine, I’ve made a trip to the Cote d’ Azur in France and drove almost 2000 miles.

Not one recall and better mileage than ever in the hills in France, battery capacity is what it should be and MIMA is very good in rolling hills. I did 85mpg on the whole trip and managed to get a little over 100mpg for a considerable distance from time to time."

This was after 2 cycles with 250MA

This charger will help cars that are having recalibrations frequently, and some that have an IMA code, but there will be others that will need a stronger cycling at the subpack level to bring them back. This is only for the full pack.
I will post a preliminary schematic on my website before the weekend, and do a blog on how to build it and how well it works. Then we can figure out how many we want to buy parts for.
This will be pretty simple to wire up, and if we stick with the 350MACC, no special components will be required.
A nice DIY project for the technically inclined. This supply will kill you just like the battery will, so don't try this if you are not qualified.

Last edited by Mike Dabrowski 2000; 04-21-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

The TRC engineer does not see any reason that this will not work, so I will order a set of power supplies tomorrow and build the prototype.
The price breaks for 10, 25, 50, pieces are pretty good, so this could be quite reasonable.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dabrowski 2000 View Post
The TRC engineer does not see any reason that this will not work, so I will order a set of power supplies tomorrow and build the prototype.
The price breaks for 10, 25, 50, pieces are pretty good, so this could be quite reasonable.
Mike, are you going to be able to detect full and stop charging?
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.