Inside the G1 MDM & more power! - Page 26 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #251 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I was able to test today. With regen and not using the brake pedal I was able to force ABS signal by pulling the hand brake and each time the regen stopped.

Hope this helps Peter.
TPS smoothing mod
Spats cutout mod.

00 5spd 190k mi

03 HCH 5spd 145k
AClewell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #252 (permalink)

lol shorting the line to ground should produce the same results.
nasphere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #253 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Intermittent fault.

Had a few P1586 and a P1581 faults last few days MDM current sensor issues. Anyway took out my modified MCM and saw/remembered I had built circuit on a bread board doh and so it had all come a bit loose, anyway soldered it up on a veroboard and back to normal again, well I mean back to + 32% current

Now MDM curent is back in sync with BAT Current. It had been out by over 10A caused by bad connection on my bread board

It really helped diagnosis that I was able to watch both currents on the OBDIIC&C and could see they were out of sync intermittently.
You could really feel the IMA assit/regen become rough due to the fluctuating current and it desperately trying to compensate.

It felt like a bad EGR which was a bit spooky.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 03-16-2012 at 12:54 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #254 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Wow! I've just caught up with this thread and you guys are really making headway.

Peter - I would guess that you are doing these 70A+ tests with the BB and not the stock pack?
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #255 (permalink)
Administrator

A123 50 x 20A cell Lithium packs Upgraded 150A fuse pulling around 125A max.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 03-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #256 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Been up and down the road and round the block. No problems so far.

With the new current mod power is slightly higher than the previous current mod and the voltage hack combined.
That's nice and much simpler too. Yet to try it with the voltage hack as well or a higher voltage pack :yikes:

Saw a peak of 110A assist and ~70A regen on 5 mile test. Will test some more on way to work later.

The tweak involved 9 resistors in the end

1 x 68R 2w in bcm
4 x 2.4k & 4 x 10k 0.125w in mcm

In the MCM pic I had to use 2x1.2k resistor in series as I didnt have any 2.4k ones in stock. Red wires on left are signals from 4 current sensors comming in, black wires are signals going to mcm sensor inputs, red wire on right is +5v.

BCM just has a 68R resistor in place of the two big blue 200R parallel resistors inside it. No pic.

I might still try the opamp buffer version as well. Need to get a nice quad rail to rail 5v opamp. Any recomendations?

Edit

I ordered some MCP6004 quad op amps, so hope to knock something up properly tomorrow.
I also ordered the reqd resistors to go for 40% mod.

Using the same formula and 10K pull up/down that will require a 3.3k resistor for the mcm and 60R for the BCM. I'm going to pull apart the phase senor and remove the little cooper screen cover as well to see how the output is configured to match the impedance for the MCM inputs. I suspect it has a lowish value current limit resistor in the output just need to find out that value.
Hi Peter,

I've been reading this thread on your experience with current hacking with the ima motor, from what i read, you modified the mcm & bcm internally with some resistors.. & fuse of 150amps

would you be able to explain what exactly you did in lamens terms....

i'm not the best at understanding schematics but, i will do my best.

I'd love to try the 32% current hack on my insight with the 50s2p a123 battery..

still working on your bms to run in my car...

thanks for you time..

-steveo

HUDGE Red 2001 mk1 part out here...http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...-part-out.html

Last edited by steveo; 11-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #257 (permalink)
Administrator

Steveo

All the info you need is in the thread. Time is unfortunately in short supply. If i can add some simpler instructions i will but don't hold your breath.

Peter
Old 11-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #258 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Steveo

All the info you need is in the thread. Time is unfortunately in short supply. If i can add some simpler instructions i will but don't hold your breath.

Peter
Hi Peter,

I realize there is alot of info in the thread here, I hate to bother you for more help. However its spread accross several posts, you have tried several different mod attemps. Its quite confusing for myself to understand what mod you ended up staying with and worked best with your experience.
Could you please clarify, any photos, videos, links you can share/guide me to would be great.

I would like to make a guide or how to Diy post to help clarify this for others that may be looking to take on this type of modification.

your thread on the warm air intake/rad block was excellent and easy to understand.. i'll be attempting this mod also.. since i can't reach operating temp with my car. I hope you understand where i'm comming from.

thank you
-steveo

HUDGE Red 2001 mk1 part out here...http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...-part-out.html

Last edited by steveo; 11-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #259 (permalink)
Administrator

The bottom line is to implement the ~32% current hack you need 9 resistors IIRC.

For the BCM current sensor 1 x 68R 2W type fitted in the BCM instead of the two parallel connected 200R oem resistors. I cut one lead on each of the 200R resistors to remove them from the circuit and soldered my 68R one across the wires.

For the MCM Current sensor connect a 1k 0.125w resistor between the signal wire and +5V and a 1k 0.125w resistor between the signal wire and Gnd.

Ditto each of the three phase current sensors.

Use 1% tolerance resistors

You can identify the relevant wires by looking in the manual.

I identified the relevant wires, then the pins at the MCM sockets, and soldered the resistors to the connections inside the MCM at the back of the sockets.

Use the OBDIIC&C set to display the various IMA current signals to make sure the three phase sensor currents are roughly equal, and that the BCM and MCM main current sensors are also roughly equal when assisting/regening. They should be within 2-4 amps of each other, anything over about 10 amps deviation will trigger a fault.

Don't forget to upgrade the main fuse to at least a 125A version.
I use a "littelfuse" 150A fuse which needs a bit of case hacking to fit in the OEM fuse spot.
The correct type of DC fuse is not cheap and this is easily the most expensive part of the upgrade. I managed to blag a couple of samples from the fuse rep.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #260 (permalink)

Default 32% current hack

Hey Peter

Thanks for clairfying this

So basically what you did is install a small pcb inside the mcm with the 8 resistors 1k 0.125w 1% as you said one between ground and 5v and one between ground and signal wire of each of the current sensors (the 3 phase sensors & battery current sensors)

Also install the 68r 2w 1% resistor and snip off the existing 200ohms resistors that are in parrallel

Find the proper fuse and solder the wires to the back of the mcm connector
, cut the appropriate pins and attach the resistors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.