Super Capacitors - Page 17 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #161 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I wouldn't expect that peak torque would be any higher
I don't understand follow how you could come that conclusion ??

A potential 12kw increase in power across most (if not all) of the RPM band .. kind of has to increase the torque ???

• oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :~2,000 MPGe ... Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive +8 spd rear planetary in-hub +CycleAnalyst Meter +350 Calorie LiFePO4 Battery +600W front hub motor SmartPie4
  • On-Going Projects:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    ~2.5kwh , BCM-Fooler , BCM-Interceptor, EV-Display, Elcon 1.5kw 110AC Charger
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #162 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicetrader.jay View Post
50% the storage efficiency of an ideal battery.... Energy Stored on a Capacitor
Not that I understand everything at your link, but I think you might be misapplying what's being said there. It's not comparing the charging efficiency of a capacitor and a battery; it demonstrates simply that the capacitor can store half the energy coming out of the battery supply in the example...
Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
I don't understand follow how you could come that conclusion ??

A potential 12kw increase in power across most (if not all) of the RPM band .. kind of has to increase the torque ???

Easy. I wouldn't use the 12kW at all rpm, only where torque is currently lower than my ICE-only peak.

- No IMA or DC/DC converter
- 80A alternator
- MoTeC M400 engine management & ADL3 dash
- Custom mapped fuel, ignition, EGR, lean burn, VTEC, boost, idle speed, a/c clutch and intercooler pump speed
- Turbo & water/air intercooler
- Bosch coils & Bosch ignition module
- NGK R7437-8 plugs
- Denso 23250-03010 injectors
- Custom airbox
- Self-leveling air suspension front and back
- Completely rebuilt seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JulianEdgar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 AM   #164 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Hope that helps!
That's a great start.

I'll probably only be using integers (whole numbers and whole amps) so how does that affect the method you propose..

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #165 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
That's a great start.

I'll probably only be using integers (whole numbers and whole amps) so how does that affect the method you propose..
Easy, either multiply amps by 1000 to turn it into mA, or better yet, just adjust the equation accordingly. Instead of dividing by 25000, just divide by 25.
There is still the possibility of truncation on the division operation, but that's just how it goes. Doing the division operation last gives you the best accuracy, though.

Code:
uint16_t ampsToHex(int32_t amps) {
    amps *= 512;
    amps /= 25;
    amps += 2048; // If amps is negative, the value will be <2048

uint16_t result = 0x0000;
    result = amps / 128;
    result <<= 8; // This shifts the lower byte to the upper byte
    result |= amps % 128; // OR the calculation with result

return result;
}
You're really not going to have finer granularity than 1 amp? I figured you'd at least use 0.1A increments.

Last edited by Mario; 04-20-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #166 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Easy. I wouldn't use the 12kW at all rpm, only where torque is currently lower than my ICE-only peak.
ahh .. ok .. thanks .. that makes sense.

sooo .. more accurately .. it would increase peak torque .. you will just be choosing to not use the higher torque available to you.
  • oo-MT-I1: MIMA(#024) +FAS +OBDIC&C +HighwaterDashResetButtons +ACCompressorBypass

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    :~2,000 MPGe ... Folding +ChainlessShaftDrive +8 spd rear planetary in-hub +CycleAnalyst Meter +350 Calorie LiFePO4 Battery +600W front hub motor SmartPie4
  • On-Going Projects:
    ~2.5kwh , BCM-Fooler , BCM-Interceptor, EV-Display, Elcon 1.5kw 110AC Charger
IamIan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #167 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
You're really not going to have finer granularity than 1 amp? I figured you'd at least use 0.1A increments.
Remember this is for testing use without the BCM, so I won't have the more accurate BCM current sensor either.
I intend to use/try the lower resolution MDM +/- 200A current sensor which is a simpler 0-5v output 2.5v=0 amps device. This will feed into a 10bit adc so 5v/1024 means I will perhaps get 0.5A resolution at best. Great accuracy is not really needed. I'm not Ah counting with the supercaps, even if I was 0.5A when currents can be 100A is still only 0.5% error (call it 1%) so probably good enough.

The reason I am measuring current at all is because the MCM compares the MDM current (it measures) against the current measured by the BCM and relayed from the BCM in the BATTSCI data. They have to be within a few amps of each other or it throws an error...

We shall see if it works..

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 AM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
ahh .. ok .. thanks .. that makes sense.

sooo .. more accurately .. it would increase peak torque .. you will just be choosing to not use the higher torque available to you.
Yes, just as I am choosing to not use the higher peak torque available to me by increasing mid-range turbo boost.

This graph shows current instantaneous acceleration versus rpm (I did it when setting up the changeover point for the VTEC), and the curves can be considered to be very close to the shape of the torque curves.

I wouldn't exceed the current peak torque seen at around 4000 rpm. This is a rather important point, as it means no extra stress on driveshafts, gearbox and clutch over the existing peak.

I have this motor controller sitting on the shelf waiting to go:

The controller has been set up to take a 0-5V input for assist, and 0-5V input for regen. I am confident it can drive the Insight's IMA motor. By configuring custom maps in my MoTec ADL3 dash to output suitable control voltages, I can map assist/regen to do whatever I want. For example, my thoughts have been to map assist by a 2D map that has TPS and MAP on it, then modify this based on gear position and charge level of the energy source.

With caps, I'd expect to use assist at almost any throttle position when in 1st ,2nd and 3rd gears. I can currently get better constant-speed fuel economy than any other Insight (because I can configure lean cruise however I want) but acceleration from a standstill just kills my overall fuel economy.

But let's see how much the current cap cost is...

(Edit: I've had the controller for over a year. I am just waiting for a really good energy source. If the $ can be kept manageable, for me the caps may well be that source.)

- No IMA or DC/DC converter
- 80A alternator
- MoTeC M400 engine management & ADL3 dash
- Custom mapped fuel, ignition, EGR, lean burn, VTEC, boost, idle speed, a/c clutch and intercooler pump speed
- Turbo & water/air intercooler
- Bosch coils & Bosch ignition module
- NGK R7437-8 plugs
- Denso 23250-03010 injectors
- Custom airbox
- Self-leveling air suspension front and back
- Completely rebuilt seats

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 04-21-2017 at 05:31 AM.
JulianEdgar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #169 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Supercaps Graphs

Would it help if I graphed acceleration using the supercaps and datalogging with the OBDIIC&C?

Then we could see pretty accurately time/current/volts/speed etc on a graph. (someone can perhaps produce the graphs from my data)

I will adjust the OBDIIC&C software to just spit out the following four parameters as fast as it can into PLXDAQ

Speed. Rpm. Current. Volts

We might get 4hz readings if lucky but I'm sure we can extrapolate from the data points.

I won't do standing start runs as I don't want to knacker the clutch or driveshafts.
But happy to boot it from 10mph to 70mph in 1st/2nd.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #170 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

NVM... I just read Peter's response.
'05 G1 CVT w/192K mi as of 7/2016; '02 G1 CVT w/182K mi as of 7/2016 (P1449 HR pack); '06 HCH2 #1 w/145K mi as of 7/2016 (SOLD!), '06 HCH2 #2 w/223k mi as of 2/2016 (SOLD!); '03 Prius w/166K mi - Pack rebuilt with Gen2 modules; '08 Prius w/135k mi as of 7/2016; '07 Prius w/185k mi as of 7/2016

Last edited by S Keith; 04-21-2017 at 01:56 PM.
S Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question