UK BetterBattery Upgrade Thread - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
and two dogs

Default No brainer for UK owners

We're well past 2.5k miles with the BetterBattery now and still no recals or assist limiting at all. After a week on Gower we managed to drain the SoC to 32% with a loaded car, but the level usually sits between 45 and 65% the way we drive it - using the assist!

What a great car it is - stable in cross winds over the Severn bridge on Saturday and sailed through its MoT on Tuesday. >70 MPG on a tank 2 up with 2 dogs + a week's luggage in winter.

As a present (!) I've obtained a 'GASOLINE ELECTRIC HYBRID' sticker for the tailgate. Just need to work out where to put it...
Citrus 2000 MT UK spec 175k miles VIN#000032
Michelin Energy Saver plus, OBDC&C, rebuilt gearbox with new bearings, lots of dog hair. Best 103 miles @ 122 mpg cold start

Last edited by UK_MJN; 02-23-2012 at 04:00 AM.
UK_MJN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Elvin View Post
Couple more days in & I've noticed that SOC is raraely 100%, 80-85% is the highest I usually see, equally I'm noticing it rarely drops below 60% & whereas I used to get as recal the second I hit traffic, I've not had a single one yet.
Rarely isn't never. It's really hard to get a standard battery up to 20 bars - ever, but your BetterBattery will do it automatically on a long trip if you hold a steady throttle on level ground (and keep the speeds below 70 or so).

We've got insanely long straight roads here in the US (days of driving long), but you've got some long stretches as well. Keep an eye on the gauge next time you take a long trip.
2000 MT #4227 175K miles - Citrus Yellow, BetterBattery
Hybrid-Battery-Repair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default Another UK BB on the road.

David has just left mine after his BB install and cafe trip this morning. Had me worried for a second when assist seemed average then I noticed as bat had been in my garage it was only at ~5C so assist limited until it warms up a bit on his way home. He said he would report back to the forum in a couple of weeks. He also has an OBDIIC&C so can keep a close eye on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jonnyvtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_MJN View Post
As a present (!) I've obtained a 'GASOLINE ELECTRIC HYBRID' sticker for the tailgate. Just need to work out where to put it...
I put mine above the Honda badge on the LHS.

Looks okay to me there
jonnyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
and two dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyvtec View Post
I put mine above the Honda badge on the LHS.

Looks okay to me there
Yup - I went for that too in the end. Twelve quid well spent.
Citrus 2000 MT UK spec 175k miles VIN#000032
Michelin Energy Saver plus, OBDC&C, rebuilt gearbox with new bearings, lots of dog hair. Best 103 miles @ 122 mpg cold start
UK_MJN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #26 (permalink)

Default BB update

I have now covered 600 miles with the BB and have had no problems at all.
The old battery was not totally finished - no codes- but was tired and would recal if the car was not driven for 3 or 4 days. I'm sure i could have dragged it out for another year or so but it was detracting from the pleasure of driving my Insight .
As far as hard data goes i cannot offer any; i do have an OBDII C&C but only had it ready about 6 days before Peter installed the BB and never got the time to get a feel for what was going on with the old battery. As for MPG i cannot comment as there are far too many variables e.g the weather has warmed up a lot since the install and the car is having one of its periodic herky-jerky episodes as well.
What is certain is that the SOC is far better all the time and the lowest i have got it down to is 62% on the OBD and that was me using as much assist as possible on long dragging hills .
I would like to add my thanks to Peter for the huge amount of time,effort and imagination he has put into improving our Insights .
bluesunbeam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Cells arrived. The next two lots of cells have arrived at my address.

Now need to assemble, test and charge packs for the two UK customers on the list.

Might be able to arrange fitting on 8-11th of May inc so check those dates.

Might be the last BB cells we have in UK as Honda have dropped the price to about the same as me.

Anything to report from the other UK BB owners?

Pcb's/Built Units for ObdIIc&c, Imac&c, ImaBoost, Current Hacks available. Enqs to 150mpg[at]gmail.com

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 04-26-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator

Default UK BetterBattery Status

As some will have seen the source of the BetterBattery cells has dried up for the time being with the demise of Hybrid-Battery-Repair. That means I am no longer able to rebuild UK IMA batteries

All the orders currently in the pipeline are safe as I have the packs here and built.

The warranty is as agreed two year return to base and I stand by this myself, so the fact HBR has gone to the wall does not mean you are left in the lurch.

I suggest UK owners with IMA battery troubles now consider the PP50 (50 x A123 cell Lithium solution) or the UK Honda OEM pack which has now dropped significantly in price anyway.

I hope someone will take over from HBR and source the cells. I'll keep you posted.

Peter

Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #29 (permalink)

Thumbs up BB fitted - many thanks PP

Just a note to say thanks to Peter for fitting my 12 year old Insight with one of the last new BBs last week.
It only took a little over an hour, started almost immediately and Peter did a brief test drive in it and passed on some very useful hypermiling tips.
Did 84.9 mpg going up to his (200 miles, mostly m'way) and 99.6 mpg coming back, with combination of BB and said tips (eg sit behind a lorry on m'way) so very pleased with that.
No problems with battery so far although it's been warm weather - I suspect the real test will come in the winter which was when my old Honda IMA battery first conked out.
Pepasimjenjer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Car happy with new battery

Just had a battery fitted by Peter and the car is much better for it. Had a nice big breakfast at the local cafe, and some chocolate muffins for the long drive back to Glasgow.

Seems I have some misfiring issues to resolve and these are gettign slowly worse, but the IMA is functioning brilliantly. In fact being able to get into lean burn may well be highlighting the misfire as previously i was not getting into lean burn, just blowing through it.

Only done a few hundred miles, but it's much much smoother, and actually feels like a big engine now. Peter helped clear other codes and car felt good for the first time in ages. Turns out it is quite quick too...

It is also nice to see the SOC gauge rise while charging down the hills.

MPG doubled around town and went up about 5-10 overall, but I expect a bit more when I get the darn engine fixed.

Thank you Peter it was a pleasure to meet you, and nice to see all your insight toys. MIMA next....

Last edited by Andyfb78; 06-11-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Andyfb78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question