OBDIIC&C Gauge - Page 159 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #1581 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
I now see more clearly why people mention the SOC seems a bit "behind the times". I can regen along down some long hills near home, and all of a sudden it jumps from around 73 to 80 percent.

Tim Glover
Next time you're regening down a hill, keep your eye on the voltage, you'll see that it will slowly rise to 170 or so, and it won't climb any higher and you still see 15, 20, 27 or any number of amps being pumped into the pack, then all of a sudden the SOC jumps to 75 or 80% and the regen stops and the voltage goes down to about 168 or so. I think what has happened is that the computer has just decided it has enough amps and the volts won't go any higher so it maxes the SOC.

I see it happen all the time with minor variations in V and A and SOC.
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #1582 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
Next time you're regening down a hill, keep your eye on the voltage, you'll see that it will slowly rise to 170 or so, and it won't climb any higher...
Is it 170 for you, or do you mean 180? Mine tends to top out at 180V - it may spike above that for some seconds, but it throttles back to 180-182V, usually 180... When the regen current stops, it usually settles down to 168V, though I occasionally see up to 170V... It always falls to about 158-162 over night.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #1583 (permalink)

Default 180 is the highest I've seen

The highest voltage I have seen so far is 180 on mine. Two days ago I put a ho-hum battery (used old sticks from a 2003 and 2005 HCH) that I rebuilt into the car, and the gage seems to behave a little better. The one in the car was down on capacity, and would fill up and discharge pretty fast. I think the computer isn't ready for that. It is difficult again to make it reach 20 bars.

On a side note, I am definitely spoiled with the OBDIIC&C. I drove Ricky Zambro's 2006 MT Insight for a short test drive around the block (no OBDIIC&C gage), and found myself looking over several times to see the stats. I did install it briefly in his car after I grid charged it to reset the SOC, which it did. However, I noticed the ECT, IAT and O2 sensor current were XXX. The numbers came right back after I put it back in my car.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #1584 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
However, I noticed the ECT, IAT and O2 sensor current were XXX. The numbers came right back after I put it back in my car.
Unfortunately until someone lends me the latest US ECM for testing then that data will remain unavailable to owners with later ECM's. I only need one for a week or so.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #1585 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Unfortunately until someone lends me the latest US ECM for testing then that data will remain unavailable to owners with later ECM's. I only need one for a week or so.
I'll see if I can find my spare ECM. Is the board easily removable so the case doesn't have to be included in shipping?

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
uhtrinity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #1586 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

You will have to undo a few screws and unbolt the voltage regulator as it will be fixed to the heatsink/case. Pcb should come out then ok. Careful wrapping of course and item sent at your own risk and expense. I'll post it back FOC.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #1587 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default more wish list

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Below is the latest version of the V4 Feature Wish List I could find.
The ones that have been implemented so far have been changed to Green.
I have edited the list to show my current thoughts.
Any more requests please quote this list and add them to the bottom.

Software V0.04 Feature Request List
  1. LB Led when in fuel cut option. Medium. Not that easy as will conflict with the AFR activation of the LB led.
  2. Custom Greeting on startup. Medium. But will use quite a bit of progam space.
  3. User config data logging - inc time, with a 'def' set of param like the disp screen. Hard. The OBDIIC&C does not have a real time clock function, you can currently select 8 parameters for logging already by having them on display.
  4. 12V OBDII parameter for availability on right side of gauge. Easy. Now added as a parameter option.
  5. Oil Temp Monitor. Easy. Use a Melexis remote I2C Sensor as described in earlier posts for G1 Insight and select from parameter list.
  6. Lean Burn Time %. Medium. Mostly done already just needs more work/testing.
  7. Battery Fan Auto Control. Medium. Working on this at present. I may add a selectable fan turn on/off temp option.
  8. Fuel Cut Time %. Easy. As LB% above.
  9. Parameter Abbreviations instead of hex numbers. Easy. Done now with full parameter description and abreviation.
  10. Make a rotating display an option on the next version so you can have double the number of parameters alternating every couple of seconds. Hard. I'm limiting the display at 8 parameters which is still twice as many as a scangauge.
  11. Remove the requirement that certain parameters must be displayed in order to display another parameter (e.g., Battery Power in Watts requires Amps and Volts on screen to work). Hard. Getting more info in the background will reduce the gauge refresh rate as each parameter takes time to obtain from the ECM/MCM. Not implemented at present.
  12. Auto 19/6 Bar Soc Reset. A possible feature for testing the A123 20ah system to allow use without a BCM interceptor. Medium. Gauge sends 19/6 bar reset command every 30 seconds or so on command from BMS. I'll look at this as Mike's A123 project progresses. It's best to use a BCM interceptor for SOC with a lithium pack.
  13. Button delay and confirmation character display. Easy. For the OBDIIC&C but when used for IMA control for instance as in the civic hch1 project you don't want a delay, have to see ;? Still not sure this is reqd. Button works OK for me. Any major change will have to wait until we have new hardware with V2
  14. Put 12V parameter in ECM not IMA list. Easy. You can now put any parameter where you want, it is just be a big list to choose from.
  15. Would it be possible to track the amount of fuel used on a per trip and/or per day basis? Hard. The car already does a very good job of calculating mpg over a trip. I'm not going to do this one.

Just because an item is on the list does not imply I am going to do it.

My main thrust at the moment is to enlarge (finish) the parameter list to cover all the computers in the car like the EPS,SRS,ABS,IMMOB etc.
Then make the gauge operate on the HCH1 Civic without needing different software. Still a huge amount of work reqd.

Peter

Thanks for all the work and effort you all have put into the OBDIIC&C. It's great!

Here are a couple more items for the wish list:

16. Is it possible to make the display revert back to the main screen after a set time, say 30 seconds, of no movement of the button? This way if someone accidentally hits the button or you just want to change one parameter you won't have to proceed through the whole programming routine.
17. It would also be easier if you threw out the Hex codes and just showed everything with a numerical value. Then you would know how far away from your desired parameter you were regardless of where in the menu selection you were...i.e--if #20=UKECT and #36=USECT it's easy to see which direction you need to push the button to get there without going through 0C, 3B,FF etc. I guess it'd be easier for me to print out the list and number them myself but hey, it was a wish.
Thanks again
Mark

Last edited by Eli; 11-23-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote :)
markw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #1588 (permalink)

Hi. Thanks for the gauge, it works a treat. I'm learning so much more about the car now, and how to get the most out of it. I've got loads of ideas to help improve future versions, that I'll chip in with later.

For now, I came up with a pretty good way of mounting it. Maplin currently sell a really high quality iPhone window mount. The iPhone4 version is £15, but the iphone3 version is only a fiver (guess they're getting rid of old stock).

I used that, and snipped off the excess plastic to make a perfect mount for the gauge. I had some spare number plate sticky pads left which made fixing the gauge to the mounting plate a doodle.

Perfectly secure and easily removable. Not bad for a fiver.
Bugone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #1589 (permalink)
and two dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugone View Post
Maplin currently sell a really high quality iPhone window mount. The iPhone4 version is £15, but the iphone3 version is only a fiver (guess they're getting rid of old stock).
Bugone, you are a Top Bloke.

That looks near perfect. I'll be down to Maplin today, when the rain lets off.
Citrus 2000 MT UK spec 140k miles VIN#000032
Michelin Energy Saver plus (latest EU ratings), Noisy gearbox
Best 11 miles @ 115.1mpg
UK_MJN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #1590 (permalink)
eq1

I've noticed that my OBDIIC&C will flash some odd number and/or characters I think whenever I'm approaching a positive recal and/or a topped-up pack (near 81%). I think it's usually the SOC parameter, but it may also be the AMP and maybe TEM. Anyone else ever notice that? Anyone know what it is? Could there be a use for it - like maybe if it marks a particular threshold it could be translated into a little icon or something, standing for whatever it signals?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.