OBDIIC&C Gauge - Page 160 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #1591 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Assuming you don't mean the Vtec or Bat fan flags that appear on the far right of the screen then it's probably a communications or display glitch of no real consequence.

If you can capture a picture of it then great, otherwise just ignore it unless it appears very regulary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #1592 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

It's just a glitch. It does seem to happen with SoC the most, probably batt temp second most.

Would be nice if CRC error checking could be implemented; doing so really cleaned up the BCM Gauge's data, at least.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.

Last edited by Eli; 11-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Eli is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #1593 (permalink)
eq1

Yeah, not the fan icon, etc. Mostly the SOC reading - it will flash some non-sensical value and/or characters for a second. It seemed to me to be doing it regularly just before a positive recal, such as while hanging at 72%, and also just before hitting about 81%. I thought the regularity of it might mean that there is something going on in the BCM or whatever computer - a message, a trigger, a threshold being reached - that causes the normal gauge values to tweak momentarily. That is, the flitting change in the SOC display corresponds to some real algorithm/programming/calculations that would mean something if we only knew what it meant...
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #1594 (permalink)

Hi. Can the ODBIIC&C be used to read codes on other cars?
Ocean '00 MT, Continental Eco Contact 5's, Grid Charger with timer, TPS Mod, OBDII C&C gauge, 12v solar charger, IMA solar charger (now removed), Warm air mod (during winter), Lower grill block (during winter), 6.5in touchscreen HU, 5000k HIDs
Bugone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #1595 (permalink)
Administrator

Not at present, but it is an option I might add later for basic OBDII stuff.
The hardware can certainly do it for OBDII compliant vehicles.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #1596 (permalink)
eq1

Question about the OBDIIC&C MVO reading versus grid charging and voltmeter reading. I just started a grid charge with a home made grid charger, based on the inexpensive 'GINO' constant current power supplies. Unloaded voltage of the grid charger, using a multimeter, is about 177.5V. I'm charging with the ignition on and OBDIIC&C powered up (12V battery charger on 12V batt).

A little bit after I started the grid charger, the OBDIIC&C MVO reading was 159V, while the grid charger multimeter was only 146V. Can anyone explain the discrepancy? Should they be different? On a side note, the OBDIIC&C was reading 0.3 amps input from the grid charger...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #1597 (permalink)
eq1

I have a new question, but first an update on my last issue:

Not totally sure what the deal is with the voltage reading, but it looks like most of the discrepancy has to do with my charger and/or multimeter. While grid charging I can take a voltage reading off of the two big leads between the HV battery and the MDM, or whatever the 'stuff on the left' is, the DC-DC converter and all that -- and it's the same as what's reported by the OBDIIC&C MVO (here about 170V). If I leave the positive probe of the multimeter on the big positive lead, while the negative probe remains on the charger, the voltage reading drops about 8 volts. If I switch, leave the negative probe on the big negative HV lead and the postive probe on charger positive lead, the voltage only drops about 1 volt. So I think I've got an issue with voltage drop due to the connections/wiring between the negative HV lead and my charger... On top of this, for some odd reason, when I touch my multimeter the voltage readout drops like 3 or 4 volts, say from 162V to 158V. Or if I set it on the metal body of the Insight trunk, same thing, voltage readout drops. very odd...

Anyhow, new question: Does the OBDIIC&C amps counting and timer reset when the SOC hits 100%? If I'm not mistaken, it looks like it did, as I had been grid charging for about 4 hours, the SoC reading hit 100%, and shortly thereafter I flipped over to the amps counter and it read only 0.05 amps in and only about 11 minutes having passed on the timer... I didn't notice this last night, when I did my initial grid charge, and I don't see how the amps counting result I got last night could possibly support this idea - that the counting reset - because I ran the charger for about 5 hours and the amps in was about 1600, which just about matches the charger output (300mA) and the time I ran it...

On a side note, the HV battery fan does quite a job cooling the pack: I started my grid charge this evening with the pack at 64 F (77.7% SoC); after about 4.5 hours it was up to 89F; I ran the fan for 5, maybe 10 minutes, and the pack temp dropped to about 70F... Ambient is about 50F...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #1598 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
Does the OBDIIC&C amps counting and timer reset when the SOC hits 100%?
No

The SOC and the Ah/Wh/timer do not know the other exists.

The SOC is calculated/reported by the BCM

The Ah/Wh/Time is calculated by the OBDIIC&C

If you want to measure Ah/Wh input then your should clear the Ah/Wh/Time before you start charging.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #1599 (permalink)
eq1

hmm, maybe I accidentally reset it, easy to do with the flimsy joystick button...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #1600 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
hmm, maybe I accidentally reset it, easy to do with the flimsy joystick button...
I hear ya. Nearly every time I cycle through the parameters while changing them, I inadvertently change something I didn't want to change, at least once and sometimes 2 or 3 times. :/
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.