OBDIIC&C Gauge - Page 161 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #1601 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Yeah, the joyswitch is really hard to use, especially while driving.

I highly suggest V2 have separate tactile buttons at the very least.

We should begin work on V2 in earnest, as stock is getting quite low.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1602 (permalink)

Isn't the joy stick a problem that was discussed a long time ago?

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #1603 (permalink)
eq1

When grid charging with the ignition on, will the OBDIIC&C automatically turn on the HV battery fan when it reaches 100F? I would assume so...

Does the version 4 OBDIIC&C software implement selectable, setable HV fan temps?

Last edited by eq1; 12-14-2012 at 07:54 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #1604 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Have you read the manual?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #1605 (permalink)
eq1

I read the version 3 manual, which is what I have. I skimmed what I believe is the version 4 manual the other day... I didn't see anything about the selectable temp automatic fan setting. I re-read the last several pages of this thread over the past couple hours, and it looks like the fan setting hasn't been implemented, yet... I haven't seen anything about grid charging with the ignition on and whether the HV fan will automatically come on when the battery reaches 100F...
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1606 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

The OBDIIC&C won't turn on the fan when the battery reaches 100F, but the car might.

Selectable temperatures hasn't been implemented, which would be really nice.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #1607 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
The OBDIIC&C won't turn on the fan when the battery reaches 100F, but the car might...
That's what I meant to ask. I had OBDIIC&C on the brain...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #1608 (permalink)
eq1

Default installing 18F pic and software

I got a new 18F pic, installed it, and now I'm trying to load the new version 4 software - but I'm having difficulties.

I connect the OBDC&C to my computer via pic programmer.
I open the pickit2 programmer software.
The communication window reads "PICkit 2 connected. ID = iCP01-V1.01"
I go to file menu to import the v4 software ("Import hex"), navigate to the unzipped v4 hex file, and select.
The programmer software communications window reads "Device error - hex file not loaded."

The "Device" line above the communications window reads "no device found."
I select from the "Device family" drop down menu "PIC18F" and it stills reads "no device found."

I've checked the connections from the pic programmer to the OBDC&C, and unplugged and plugged in the USB. No changes...

Any advice?

If I choose "Device family" = "Baseline," a drop down list gives selections. No 18F selections are available. If I choose one of the 16F options, I can load the v4 hex file and the communications window reads "warning: hex file loaded is larger than device."

[LATER]:
I flipped the 18F pic around in its holder and this seems to have allowed me to program the device. I'll try it out in the car and see how it works. For those swapping out the 16F for 18F, it appears that there's a little dot and notch on one side of pic, and there's a "U2" marked on the green PCB: I venture to say that these 2 things should match, the notch/dot and the U2 inscription, in order to orient the pic in the board properly. Other than that there's really no way to tell there IS a proper orientation; the pic physically installs the same either way.

Also, it takes a very, very light touch when pulling out the original pic. The pins are very 'sticky' all the way to their ends, and fragile; you need to lightly pry the pic at both ends incrementally until the pins are completely free from the board, otherwise one or more pins will remain wedged and when you pull the pic you'll bend the pins. I bent a pin and it broke off when trying to bend it back...

[LATER]
I tried the OBDIIC&C w/ 18F pic in place, v4 software, in car and everything I tried seems to work fine. Note that I have a canadian car but have used the UK software in previous versions as the U.S. version did not work; the v4 UK software continues to work in my car...

I used the default parameters, switched from Bvo to Mvo (and back to Bvo), turned on the fan high and low, reset amps counting, entered lean burn. All worked fine.

-Mvo reads 5 volts higher than Mvo of the previous version; Bvo reads the same as Mvo of the previous version. I checked voltage with a multimeter on the two big HV battery leads when I was running the previous software version; it matched the OBDIIC&C Mvo reading... In other words, it appears that I need to use Bvo instead of Mvo in order to get the same HV battery voltage readings I was getting before, running v3 Mvo parameter...

-fan high and low shows "F" and "f" icons, respectively. Fan state is remembered when car is turned off then on again...

-"XXX" flashes occasionally in place of parameter values...

-seems to page through menus a bit quicker, shuts off quicker, parameter values turn to "XXX" when ignition turned off...

-seems easy enough to navigate, similar to before. I would have preferred seeing the configuration parameters that are programmed, such as "UK" when that's what is running, rather than the configuration parameters that CAN BE programmed, in the configuration screen... I know this was switched at some point; didn't read why...

Last edited by eq1; 12-18-2012 at 03:55 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #1609 (permalink)

Glad you have the upgraded chip installed. The orientation of the chip with the half circle 'dot' and 'U2' letter marking on the pic can be seen in this pic of the device. fwiw: Mike D shows in his grid charger upgrade video [youtube: /watch?v=r9igKHJaJk8&list=UUx9zOrUjKD7WOh1ukKv5eNw& index=8
] on his YouTube channel how to safely remove and replace a similar chip from a board using a small flat blade screwdriver, with grounding out, prying and wiggling blade gently to lift the chip along it's entire length without bending any pins.

The obdiic&c software version I use in my Canadian car [ecm version '506' from '08 factory bulletin upgrade] is the latest version and I run the US set of parameters vs. the UK; the UK parameters do not run properly in my Cdn car and only register 'XXX'.
If I recall correctly your vehicle [which if a Cdn will have a serial number with an '8' ahead the last five or six digits vs. a zero] is noted as unique in the aspect of requiring the UK software codes to read the obdii parameters.
Wondering what version of the ecm you may have and assuming the '8' for a Cdn car is present in the serial number.
The obdiic&c gauge will consume less power when shut down and left plugged in now with the latest version. The change to 'what will be' vs. 'what is now' in the parameter selection/configuration setup from the previous version software can be a bit confusing at first for users of the previous version. So far so good with the latest version.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #1610 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Has anybody elses case melted by being on the dash subject to the heat of the sun? Mine looks like it has gotten quite 'floppy' at some point
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

2000 New Formula Red G1 Insight
105,000 miles
Mark Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.