OBDIIC&C Gauge - Page 164 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #1631 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Just to clear up a few things.

V01 & V02 communicate with the car using a special Honda protocol for the IMA parameters and standard generic OBDII parameters for the ECM data.

The standard OBDII protocol works on all OBDII compliant vehicles, and because the Insight/Civic Hch1 are OBDII compliant they work on all Insight/Hch1 ECM's. The parameters available via the standard OBDII protocol from the ECM are quite limited however.

V03 & V04 uses the special Honda protocol for the IMA parameters, and for the full range of ECM parameters. These are not OBDII compliant and the exact implementaion of the ECM side varies between the ECM version numbers and country of sale.

In order to ensure the full range of parameters works on all the available ECM's I need to capture data about the differences between them. That's why I had to get Ron to send me a US G1 Insight and Civic HCH1 ECM over a year ago to get the extended parameters working on those vehicles.

The AFR is a special case and seems to move around in the ECM memory and can sometimes work when other extended ECM parameters do not.

We do not have a full understanding of all the data yet, or a full handle on the range of ECM variations out in the wild. If people want to help they can send me later ECM's from vehicles that do not work with V3 or V4 of the OBDIIC&C software and I can examine the data structure to add them to the database. Your ECM can be returned as soon as the data has been captured.

People with cars that do not work with V03 or V04 can revert to the 16F886 chip and V01 or V02 to get the basic ECM data working. There will be quite a few people on here who have redundant 16F886 chips laying about programmed with the older code who I'm sure would be willing to send them out for a nominal fee.

Ref the V04 Manual I'm hoping an experienced user can pull together a few notes or finish off my V04 beta manual for the benefit of the community. If they send me some notes I will append them to the manual thread.

I hope this clears up any confusion. Have a good xmas. Peter

PS I think an OBDIIC&C software update is likely before the summer to properly support the HCH1 Civic with the full range of IMA and ECM parameters. I'm hoping to do some more data gathering on the other G1 systems inc EPS,ABS,SRS in the spring as well.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 12-22-2012 at 01:37 PM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #1632 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Peter,

I do not think I yet qualify as an experienced user, but I am interested in helping improve the manual and test V04 with a 2006. You previously indicated a preference to share learning experiences here on IC vs via email, so please let me know which mode would be most appropriate to communicate some ideas I have for helping.

By the way, I found a few more US ECM parameters today that work with V04.
Silver 2006 MT #531
156K miles
Genesis One GCO1 Charger v2.4, OBDIIC&C v0.04, MIMA 070
davenm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #1633 (permalink)
Administrator

We have the following OBDIIC&C threads currently running. Please choose the most relevant when posting.

The manual thread, soley for my user manual and instruction posts. Locked!
OBDIIC&C User Manual

The main thread for all general queries, questions & comments.
OBDIIC&C Gauge

The performance testing thread and spreadsheet. 30-60 & 50-70 mph times, discussion.
OBDIIC&C Performance Testing

The ampere & watt hour counting thread.
Amp Hour counting with the OBDIIC&C Gauge

The RGB edition and other lcd mods thread.
OBDIIC&C Gauge RGB LCD edition and other modifications

The gauge build notes thread for self assemblers.
OBDIIC&C Gauge Build Notes

The gauge troubleshooting thread.
OBDIIC&C Troubleshooting

The Civic HCH1 version thread.
OBDIIC&C HCH1 Gen 1 Civic Hybrid

Related threads include.

The ECM/MCM/BCM revison thread and spreadsheet which applies to all Honda IMA cars.
BCM, MCM & ECM Revisions

Please review any of these you are unfamiliar with and add data to the spreadsheets as relevant.
The more data we accumulate the better our understanding of the cars will become.

Feel free to post general stuff in this thread.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #1634 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
fyi, v4, 18F pic, I noticed IAT fluctuating between 32F and 51F. It would display 51F for some time, then 32F for some time, and sometimes fluctuate quickly between the two. Actual IAT was 51F or thereabouts, certainly not 32F. I recently switched from v3 to v4. Never noticed this with v3...
ECT parameter does something similar; it doesn't fluctuate, but displays 32 occasionally when engine coolant temp is clearly not 32F...

Also, for future versions, I'm wondering if the Ikw parameter, 'requested kilowatts', could be combined with HV battery voltage and amps, into a single parameter that shows you how much power is being requested vis-a-vis how much power is being put out?

Basically, calculate kilowatt output (or input) from the battery and either subtract that from the Ikw parameter for 'net difference' or divide to produce a ratio or percentage... Ikw seems to be what it sounds like it is, i.e. how much the IMA should be putting out if the battery were perfect. I noticed that pushing for full assist was something like 9.9 kW, yet doing the math from HV batt voltage and amps on the fly, it was only putting out say 5 kW... Seems like it would be a good real time HV battery condition measure...
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #1635 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I like that idea, but I'm not sure if it means exactly that. IIRC, the field pegs at 10.0kW, but the car can command much more than that (I've seen 11.9kW with a new battery, 11kW with a good stock battery).

It should also scale back to 6.0kW after the initial 4 second burst of assist, if that's what it means.

I've only briefly watched the parameter so I'm not 100% sure.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.

Last edited by Eli; 12-28-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #1636 (permalink)
eq1

Pretty sure it was staying at 9.9kW while my battery was only putting out about 5 or 6. I'll watch it some more...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #1637 (permalink)

Default Another OBDIIC&C mounting possibility

I have been using my OBDIIC&C gage for the past couple of months by simply sticking it in the glove compartment, but that method had obvious limitations, so I began working out a way to do a quick-disconnect type mount.

The first step was making a cradle that would allow easy removal of the OBDIIC&C gage. However, after making one, I wasn't sure how to mount it in the car.

In the meantime, my son, who is an A&P mechanic, bought my 2000MT, and I went ahead and let him take the cradle and gage with him, with a promise from him that he would figure out a mount.

He found a mount at Walmart, a Scosche Dash, Console and Cup Mount for GPS Devices, model GPSHDR ( Scosche GPS Dash Mount: GPS & Navigation : Walmart.com )

Here is what he came up with:

Mounted and ready. With this setup it is easy to remove the OBDIIC&C gage from the cradle and store it away from the sunlight. Note the weatherstripping used on the bottom of the mount to protect the dashboard surface.

My son used a 6-32 pan head screw with nylock to keep the cradle attached. The stickGRIP doesn't seem to hold in cold weather.

View from the front of the car.

View from the driver's seat.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover

Last edited by TopFuelTim; 12-29-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: can't spell
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #1638 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

I still use the BCM Gauge for IMA monitoring, and that's exactly where I have it mounted.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #1639 (permalink)

Tim:
Whats with the 12V battery info on the IMA side. don't you monitor the IMA battery Temp?
(Must be using V4.)
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #1640 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Manual Updated

The V04 user manual has now been completed. Thanks to Dave Dogruel for his help with this. Follow the link in my signature to read the updated manual.

Note. Dave has also produced a very nice single sheet user guide/crib sheet which will be released shortly. It should prove a boon to users as it documents gauge operation with simple graphics and a flow chart style. Thanks again for that

IIRC The Ikw parameter is what the ECM is requesting from the MCM. The MCM only allows what the battery and soc etc will stand, so that's why the requested output and the actual output vary. Remember the requested power and allowed power can be different simply because the battery is cold/hot, that doesn't indicate a problem it's just the battery protection operating.

Parameter fluctuation can be caused by erroneous data, at present there are no CRC checks on recd data so some gltiches will slip through. That's for V05

I'll consider all the feature requests for future versions. The best indicator of battery health is probably internal resistance which can be calculated on the fly.

TopFuel nice mounting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.