I finished fabrication and assembly of the mount for my gauge today. The design and location criteria included:
*Not on the dashboard or windshield to avoid melting in the sun, blocking forward vision, interfering with placement/removal of sun shade and not as readily visible to thieves looking to smash window(s) to steal what they think is a GPS.
*No or minimal drilling or use of adhesives to attach mount to car.
*Prefer display and lean burn LED at least within peripheral vision.
*Avoid location that blocks regularly-used controls and any heater vent.
*Easy to either move mount with gauge attached or remove gauge when parked in high-risk areas to minimize opportunity for theft.
*Leave at least one cupholder free for daily use. Other cupholder should not be completely blocked.
*Minimize chance of gauge and mount becoming projectile hazard in collision.
Until I made a mount, I had the gauge sitting on the cupholder area and (tried) to keep it from sliding around with twist ties, one of them tied to the 12V outlet cover.
A mount utilizing the cupholder seemed to meet my criteria, but the commercial ones I found did not have arms or other means of getting the gauge elevated as high as I wanted and almost all of them completely blocked the cupholder. I came across microphone goosenecks as a viable option for the height and flexibility and set about making something that would fit in a cupholder, keep its space somewhat useable and firmly hold the gooseneck. It turns out that a driveshaft in the metal pile was nearly the perfect diameter. The cupholders are slightly tapered, so after cutting off a piece of driveshaft I machined some steps to reduce the diameter and welded on a tab to hold the gooseneck. The gooseneck threads are 5/8-27 and since this is not a common bolt thread, I got an adapter to 3/8-16 for the base and tapped the ID of the other end to 7/16-20. The L-shaped tab engages with the mounting plate on the back of the gauge.
continued in next post