soc reset - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

I ended up pulling the #16 fuse under the hood, it's a bigger fuse, not one of the mini ones. I checked out the manual that is available for download and it mentioned either #16 under hood or #18 under the dash. I still couldn't figure out which fuse was which under there unless I am missing a cover under the dash or something.

Thanks for the help. I will probably pick up a "soc reset" switch in the future some time.
2003 CBR 954RR
Ryan_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fuse function and location is printed on the back of the fold out tray/ cubby hole door. IIRR.

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedhgroup View Post
.... I have my charger set to 169v. I think if it sees 168 or more for 2 minutes it does a positive recal. (on mine anyway)....I have an 8amp charger up to 165v then a 700ma charger to take it to 169. So it only takes me an hour to charge it back up. (if it is not super hot out - then I just don't charge)....
What you do defies my understanding of the battery and charging. Maybe you're not trying to fully charge the battery? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in general people do try to charge the battery to full with grid charging, and that takes a higher voltage than 169V; I thought it was about 177V, such as 'set the grid charger to 177V unloaded'? Using the car's system I can consistently charge up to 168V. I've seen 170V at very low input amps, less than 2 amps, maybe as low as 0.3 amps... I assume this isn't full, but rather, what Honda determined to be about 75% SoC. What voltage does a fully charged battery settle at after a grid charge, after maybe an hour or two?

When I cycled my sticks, average voltage at delta V was 9.2V at 5.5 amps. That's 184 volts for the whole pack. Not sure what it settled down to though, after some time...

Last edited by eq1; 11-11-2012 at 04:23 AM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq1 View Post
What you do defies my understanding of the battery and charging. Maybe you're not trying to fully charge the battery?
Correct, about once every 3 months or so (or if I get a premature negative recal) I then charge at a higher voltage and watch the battery temp very closely.

Back to SOC reset, if your voltage is over 168 and you turn your ignition ahead (engine not running) What happens after about 2 minutes? On mine it does a positive recal. On my Accord Hybrid it does a positive recal at 170.

The next time I have the battery compartment open I plan on tapping into the BCM so it can be powered while charging. This way it can keep track of the amps in. Thus eliminating the 2 minute wait or the annoying background charge.

I've never pulled fuses or the negative battery connection. (maybe my BCM is an old version?)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
The next time I have the battery compartment open I plan on tapping into the BCM so it can be powered while charging. This way it can keep track of the amps in. Thus eliminating the 2 minute wait or the annoying background charge.
I must have missed this, could you explain in more detail what happens and what wires are tapped into and what PCB or circuit is used? Who came up with this?
Thanks
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Correct, about once every 3 months or so (or if I get a premature negative recal) I then charge at a higher voltage and watch the battery temp very closely.

Back to SOC reset, if your voltage is over 168 and you turn your ignition ahead (engine not running) What happens after about 2 minutes? On mine it does a positive recal. On my Accord Hybrid it does a positive recal at 170.

I've never pulled fuses or the negative battery connection. (maybe my BCM is an old version?)
This is one of the biggest reasons I like my "dumb(read:cheap)" charger because all I have to do is leave the ignition on and hook up a cheap 12V charger with a 10-15 amp output that will cycle back to a 2A level. Total cost for both chargers is ~$250(even less if I'd built the grid-charger myself) vs ~$850 for one that is, admittedly more sophisticated, but won't/can't do what I want it to do.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
I must have missed this, could you explain in more detail what happens and what wires are tapped into and what PCB or circuit is used? Who came up with this?
Thanks
I first read about it here:

Wiring BCM to Power with RS-25-12 - how?

But there is talk in that thread about the fact the 12V power supply to do so would also have to be grounded which makes sense but also may be a safety issue.

In that thread there is a video that uhtrinity made showing a positive recal with ignition ahead:

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I first read about it here:

Wiring BCM to Power with RS-25-12 - how?

But there is talk in that thread about the fact the 12V power supply to do so would also have to be grounded which makes sense but also may be a safety issue.

In that thread there is a video that uhtrinity made showing a positive recal with ignition ahead:

100_0888.MOV - YouTube

I'm not sure that I would do that, Mike D seems to think that there is a potential for problems...

"Trying to power up the BCM and MCM without any of the other circuits that connect to them being powered, may not be a good idea, and adds a lot of complexity and potential risk when doing grid charging.
I would not recommend going down that route. What is the big deal about a positive recal?" Mike D - Post #14 from same thread
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Rush, there are several people who have done this. It works fine. I always planned on it, but it was easier to just do what diamondlarry says and leave the car on with a 12V charger hooked up.

It's pretty much a novelty, though there is probably some real value in having the SoC read 100.0%.

That BCM Gauge video is very old with a very early version of the software, the BCM never reads 100% like that normally unless grid charged.

Picture taken at 1:42PM, a bit after the grid charge was started:

This was taken at 5:12PM:

So it took 3 hours and 30 minutes for the SoC to move by ~16% @ ~350mA, or ~76.5mAh/percent. Interesting.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2001 MT Insight @ 201k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Ok, Didn't know that, thanks for setting me straight.

So then the 100% means 100% of *whatever Honda has decided that the max usable is*, correct? Is that also the same for 90%, 80%, etc.? Confusing... Now we have to specify what SOC definition we are using, right?
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.