soc reset - Page 3 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

It's the same reading as the OBDIIC&C Gauge - the SoC as perceived by the BCM. But yeah, pretty much.

Here's 3-Wheeler's implementation:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...4-post958.html

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
It's the same reading as the OBDIIC&C Gauge - the SoC as perceived by the BCM. But yeah, pretty much.

Here's 3-Wheeler's implementation:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...4-post958.html
Thanks Eli. I could not find that one. That is what I meant by "tap into the BCM".

The power supply that runs my fan can probably power the BCM up too thus eliminating the need for waiting 2 min. or dealing with the drag charge in the morning. The first thing I do when driving out of the garage is climb a hill.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep
Default SOC Reset after grid charge.

Powering the BCM is OK but there are number of caveats and gotcha's.

1) Why bother and just use an OBDIIC&C or Mike's SOC reset device to set the soc to 19 bars when you come out to the car in the morning after a grid charge. That takes about ten seconds.

2) If you decide to power the BCM overnight you must power it up before you turn on the charger or it will not count the current correctly.

3) Powering the BCM independently of the rest of the car electrics is best done by adding some diodes to it's 12v power feed wires and connecting an approx 1A 12v power supply on the BCM side of those diodes. Otherwise you end up powering up the whole car/ignition system. The car consumes quite a bit of 12v power when sat with just the ignition on (around 200w estimate) as we all know from how fast the 12V battery dies when the dc-dc converter is not working.
The IMA will also likely be energised and the DC-DC converter which means you waste a lot of the power in those systems as well.
I suggest someone uses a smart plug to count the KWH consumed by leaving the car turned on all night versus the BCM powered alone and versus just powering the grid charger and reseting the soc in the morning.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 11-12-2012 at 12:09 AM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

Sure keeping the BCM powered up will record all the charging and indicate full in the morning, it will work no mater which charger you use.

My system disconnects the in car 12V from the fan circuit on both the + and - sides so the fact than my - 12 V fan power is also common with the HV ground is not an issue.
It is floating relative to the chassis and -12V ground.
If you try to run the BCM with the same 12V, then it is an issue, as the HV then gets connected to chassis ground.
A separate isolated 12V wall wart to power the BCM, and a couple of diodes and you can record the charge and will not require a reset, but as Peter says, it is not a big deal to do it through the OBDII port so why add the complexity?
I have also found that if the last SOC the BCM saw when you power off before the charge was < half scale, that the reset to full can happen on it's own when the car is turned back on.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dabrowski 2000 View Post
but as Peter says, it is not a big deal to do it through the OBDII port so why add the complexity?
Money, or lack thereof... (I'm still saving up for a sparkfun 20x2 for a BCM gauge which I bought 14 months ago)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

First feedback from jracmw trying to reset his gen 1 civic with my SOC reset device is not encouraging.
Can someone that has Peters OBDIIC&C gauge that uses it on the civic tell us about their experience in resetting the civics to 19 bars.
Peter, have you received the SOC device I sent to you?
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Yes thanks got it the other day, but flat out at work for next couple of weeks. No civic to test it on either at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.