My Turbo Build - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default My Turbo Build

After more than a month of prep and a two day install marathon it is in and running. The goals for this project:

1. DIY
2. Keep stock airbox
3. Maintain most of the stock exhaust system (to keep car quiet)
4. Boost power for hills, passing, etc
5. Ultimate winter hot air kit
6. Keep it close to $1000 (not including my own labor)
7. 5 - 7 psi target
8. No Intercooler

First observations. Hesitation is gone even with little to no boost. At idle the turbo blows enough air to help the little engine perform better from the start. Seat of the pants dyno says there is a noticeable power increase, but I'm not sure how much boost I'm getting atm as the digital boost gauge still needs to be installed. That should happen tomorrow. I haven't pushed the car very hard or for very long since I need to know the boost levels. Atm the wastegate is set at the minimum setting (low psi), but I don;t even know if it is activating, and the BOV is also set at a low level. Again I haven't heard it it, so don't know if enough boost is being generated to activate it.

The idea for implementation came primarily from Drew (aka RHD Insight). he was initially going to provide me with the exhaust manifold adapter, a down pipe, and hotpipe. After waiting over a year I only got the manifold adapter. It had to be shortened to make room for the turbo, guessing this is a difference in RHD cars. I also rotated the turbo 45 degrees with the exhaust port angled down, his install was flat. I also tipped mine forward so it is on a level forward plane. It can be seen on the attached pic. Another departure from his design was use of a GT12 turbo, RHDInsight used a GT15. The GT12 is the smallest Turbo Garrett makes and is physically the same size as the GT15 with smaller turbines. My hope is that this turbo will be more responsive (less turbo lag).

Garrett GT12 - GT1241 - 130 HP ✈ Turbocharger Specs

Essentially a simple system with no intercooler and no 4th injector. To compensate the a12:1 FMU was installed to boost fuel pressure as boost increases. The turbo has an oil as well as coolant feeds. Both are hooked up and seem to be working properly.

Garrett GT1241 Turbo $657.97
Oil Flange $32.25
2.25 to 1.5 silicone $16.97
O2 bung $3.95
Heater hose tee $17.98
2.25 to 2.0 silicone $7.64
2.00 90 degree X2 $17.98
2 to 2.5 silicone $8.88
1.75 to 2 silicone $7.00
Oil pressure tee adapter $9.98
12:1 FMU $54.05
2.25 Type S Flange Pipe $12.99
Type S adjustable BOV $19.99
2" X 2' Aluminum tubing $45.00
misc clamps, tubing, $60.00
25" X 1.5" Flex intake $15.00
Other misc supplies $100.00
$1,087.63

I'll post more pictures and observations as they happen.

edit: 12:1 FMU verified suitable into the 5psi range
edit of edit: FMU is gone, replaced with 4th injector and injector controller ~$250
Also added dedicated wideband AF Ratio gauge ~$160
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt12.jpg (41.6 KB, 236 views)

2000 DIY Garrett GT12 Turboed Silver Insight, #5550
Pioneer P3900MP CD/MP3 4 X Polk Audio 6.5", Stealth Box
Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod

Last edited by uhtrinity; 08-25-2013 at 11:39 PM.
uhtrinity is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Nice project look forward to figures and more pics.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very cool! More pictures please!
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

83 mpg for 14 miles on the way to work this morning. Average speed ~45 mph, hilly, ~ 40F. The intake temp probe isn't installed in the hotpipe yet, so I'm not sure what the intake temps look like, but the 'Frankenstein' adapter that mounts on the throttle body intake was only warm to the touch. Noticeably more pull on small hills in 3rd gear. I could accelerate quite well without mima assist.

For the turbo experts .... when in first and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, the rpms quickly ramp to ~3500 rpm then jump even more quickly to ~5000 rpm. Is this 'surge' caused by lack of fuel? It only seems to happen in 1st gear. It happens so quickly the car can redline in less than 2 seconds from start.

Two pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo 1.jpg (49.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg turbo 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 242 views)

Mima #47, BCM Gauge, Ford Hybrid Escaped™ custom 150v 11AH battery pack w. 20% current mod, Matiz rear springs & Monroe shocks, 25mm rear wheel spacers & Blasphemer™ spat cutout, single cone tranny mod
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

One other note, I have a pending P01165. Seems to be related to MAF sensor. Any input? No other codes otherwise and no check engine lights.

edit: Nm, Willie had already posted about this code P1165 code

Additional info, the cats have been deleted, the 1st o2 sensor is directly after the turbo, the secondary o2 sensor is another 3 - 4 inches down and is installed in two stacked spark plug defowlers to remove it from exhaust flow similar to this http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...prev_next=next

Last edited by uhtrinity; 09-17-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

What is being used for tuning? How do you know that your air fuel ratios are good?
spets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spets View Post
What is being used for tuning? How do you know that your air fuel ratios are good?
Short of watching primary o2 sensor values, nothing. The 12:1 FMU is the only addition on the fuel side. Btw, target for max boost is 5 psi which should be doable with stock fuel injectors + FMU.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd recommend at the least an air/fuel gauge just to keep an eye on things. many an engine have been blown up with a bad tune. Or something like the OBDC&C which shows the actual primary o2 sensor values.
spets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spets View Post
I'd recommend at the least an air/fuel gauge just to keep an eye on things. many an engine have been blown up with a bad tune. Or something like the OBDC&C which shows the actual primary o2 sensor values.
I have an ultra gauge and currently watch:

Engine Temp
Intake temp
o2 primary
o2 Secondary
Timing Advance

The problem with advanced tuning for our car is that there are no pop in chips, or flashes available. The only other option would be a 4th injector and a controller, but those controllers are very pricey. The other option is DIY like Willies system. RHDInsight says he is or was running a 4th injector, but after looking back over all the pics I took of his system I can't find it. He even told me in the last conversation the 12:1 FMU would be adequate for upto 5 psi.

Last edited by uhtrinity; 09-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

Subscribed. This is going to be good stuff!

Home of the MAXIMA™ performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.