Replacing buttons on cluster - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Replacing buttons on cluster

Ever since I got the car 1.5 years ago I learned to deal with them barely working, but today was the final straw.

I've had my Maint Req'd light on for months and when my car was at Honda yesterday I guess the mechanic decided to try to reset it and my gauges are as dim as can be, and I can get it back.

I'm assuming this is a pretty common problem so I'm hoping this isn't a extremely expensive fix.

If anyone could provide me a link to how to fix it it would be much appreciated. I can't take these dim gauges
cah155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Try this thread out

You might want to check out this thread. All you need is some soldering skills, and a little mechanical ability. I think Honda charges about $25 each (you need two sets to do all four buttons), but for about $6 or so, you can buy the switches and fix it yourself with better switches than the factory provided. This is a common failure for Gen 1 Insights, and I have had to fix all three of mine.

My 0.02 cents worth,
Tim Glover

Long writeup of trip button repair

Last edited by TopFuelTim; 10-26-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added link
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
You might want to check out this thread. All you need is some soldering skills, and a little mechanical ability. I think Honda charges about $25 each (you need two sets to do all four buttons), but for about $6 or so, you can buy the switches and fix it yourself with better switches than the factory provided. This is a common failure for Gen 1 Insights, and I have had to fix all three of mine.

My 0.02 cents worth,
Tim Glover

Long writeup of trip button repair
Ugh soldering and me don't go in the same sentence ha. I have a specialty speedometer place locally that I'm sure could do it. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did my buttons, had the same problem as you and couldn't reset my Maint Req light. For a few dollars I bought the switches and soldered them in myself, wasn't pretty but got it done and now it works great. You can always just buy the PCB board with the buttons installed for about $25 and do that yourself.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default reset button fix

and then there is the easy way

Dash reset button upgrade Gen1

Randall
MIMA #005

dimensioned pdf's of the battery case
highwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
I did my buttons, had the same problem as you and couldn't reset my Maint Req light. For a few dollars I bought the switches and soldered them in myself, wasn't pretty but got it done and now it works great. You can always just buy the PCB board with the buttons installed for about $25 and do that yourself.
Where do I buy it for 25? Is the cluster hard to take out?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go to the link by Top Fuel Jim above, it has step by step instructions on how to take dash apart and get the instrument cluster out. Once it is out it is easy to take the PCB boards off of the cluster that have the little switches on them.

Here is a link to the part from Majestic Honda for $26.
Honda Automotive Parts
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertguy View Post
Go to the link by Top Fuel Jim above, it has step by step instructions on how to take dash apart and get the instrument cluster out. Once it is out it is easy to take the PCB boards off of the cluster that have the little switches on them.

Here is a link to the part from Majestic Honda for $26.
Honda Automotive Parts
Is this a no soldering way to go about this ? Looks like you just pop off the old ones and insert the new ones?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah155 View Post
Is this a no soldering way to go about this ? Looks like you just pop off the old ones and insert the new ones?
Pretty much. The only place I do a little different is when removing the bottom steering wheel cover. Don't force it off, that just breaks the clips. You can use a small screwdriver or a knife to "finagle" the clips loose. Don't get in a hurry, take your time, and you will do just fine.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
and then there is the easy way
Dash reset button upgrade Gen1
Randall
Randall - are you still doing the changeouts? If not I have no problem doing it. But I need a set to start the chain. IFRC the switch is this one
PTS645SL43 LFS C&K Components | CKN9098-ND | DigiKey

The switch is only $.16 very cheap so to cover my costs, when you send your bad switchs back inclose a dollar plus whatever postage it cost me to send it to you.

Is that how you were/are doing it Randall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTS645SL43_sml.jpg (16.6 KB, 2 views)
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.