Can a Grid Charger help? - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can a Grid Charger help?

First, there may be links to other threads that may answer this question, if so, please let me know (I did a quick check).

Anyway, my 2K MT, has a fairly new IMA battery (1.5yrs). Now if the car sits for a few days, the SOC is down to the last couple bars. It does charge quickly, but it seems to happen every few days. I am still in the 67-71mpg range even with the forced charge.

Would the grid charger help fix this issue? If so, is there more than one type of grid charger and who is currently selling them?

Kevin

2000 MT Silver 70K
kcarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lean Burn = Happiness

Yes it will definitely help. How much depends entirely on your battery. Every battery is different, so it is hard/not fair to map one persons experience to your own expectations. having said that so many people have had success with a grid charger that it is a very safe bet that you will see a noticeable improvement.

You can build a 'simple' charger for yourself, buy a 'simple' charger fully assembled and ready to install from me, or get the very nice 'complex' charger from Mike at http://99mpg.com/projectcars/gridcharger/

The three options vary greatly in price and features. Each person has to decide for themselves the best cost/benefit from the above three options.

Current score: Bought/Selling/Sold/Dismantled nine silvers, two blues, and a Citrus beauty to keep for myself.
jeff652 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Definitely can help

Like Jeff said, in most cases it will definitely help.

All but two cars I have grid charged have responded very well, including the one I bought in May with a P1447 and P1449. Grid charging brought it immediately back to life. It was not super strong, but didn't give me any grief and I didn't have to grid charge it again, although I noticed it was down on capacity recently. I finally took it out this weekend, but only because my son is buying it, and I am building up a good battery for it.

That being said, I have experienced two battery failures this year in my three car "fleet" and neither one got further than a day after grid charging before the problems returned. Extreme heat (108 degrees F) and an 11 year old battery equaled an extremely low capacity battery in my CVT. My other was actually a 2010 replacement battery, but four of the sticks were bad enough that it was recalibrating every day.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
My other was actually a 2010 replacement battery, but four of the sticks were bad enough that it was recalibrating every day.
Was that a fairly recent Honda warranty replacement? Just gathering data
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default yes, it was a fairly recent one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
Was that a fairly recent Honda warranty replacement? Just gathering data
Hi jime,

Yes, it turned out to be the "stereotypical" Honda replacement battery. It was done in January 2010, and began showing its weakness this past January (only got 87 minutes discharge time then, and by June, it was 44, 50 and 57 on a triple cycle. It never set off an IMA code, but was recalibrating every day. I finally parked it. (This past weekend I put what I now call my "ho-hum" battery that I rebuilt from two HCH cores in, and it is definitely nicer to drive.)

However, I checked the 2010 battery sticks individually, and 14 of them check out great. I will be looking at the 2007 replacement battery I just removed from my silver car, and should have at least six very good sticks in it.

The 2010 battery is the one I posted test results on a few weeks ago. Using the Universal grid charger

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover

Last edited by TopFuelTim; 11-14-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: can't spell
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.