Grid Charger - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Grid Charger

I am new to all this and i am wondering is it worth putting in a grid charger? Does it increase battery life? and if so where can i get one for the best price and is it easy to install? thanks so much for any help or information it is greatly appreciated!
j.goebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.goebel View Post
I am new to all this and i am wondering is it worth putting in a grid charger? Does it increase battery life? and if so where can i get one for the best price and is it easy to install? thanks so much for any help or information it is greatly appreciated!
Welcome! I'm a satisfied owner of one of Mike Dabrowski's (active here on the website) grid chargers. In my 2003 Insight, after 6+ charging sessions, I noticed my SOC gauge dropped fall less during normal driving vs. before using the charger. For what it's worth, that seems like a good thing in my book.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

There are threads devoted just to the questions you've asked, you might as well spend the time searching them.

Good luck
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rush:
Want to do some more testing this Sunday?

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Member 'Jeff652' or something like that makes simple chargers and sells them for something like $200. I'd say the install is a moderate level job for the do-it-yourselfer type. There's risks involved so it takes some time and careful work. Many have reported that grid charging brought their packs back to life; some report that a regular grid charging regime has improved/maintained their packs...
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Rush:
Want to do some more testing this Sunday?
Willie
Just saw this, bad weekend, will email
#1 - 2000 Silver #4965, not working now, 175k Miles, 61 LMPG - will probably turn into all Electric
#2 - 2000 Silver #4095, 212k Miles, 55 LMPG, OBDIIC&C by Peter, GCIM1 by Mike, New MaxIMA by Eli
www.TucsonEV.com
Tucson AZ
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Mike D. has the cadallac version of a grid charger, Jeff652 has the 'simple' grid charger which I purchased this year for $350. Good way to extend the life of your battery.

..Bob
Go Navy or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain driver View Post
Mike D. has the cadallac version of a grid charger, Jeff652 has the 'simple' grid charger which I purchased this year for $350. Good way to extend the life of your battery.

..Bob
Yes, true. But, there are some major advantages of the "Cadallac." First of all, it is run by a microprocessor and has a lot of built in safety features which protect the battery from charging mistakes. Secondly, it can be had with a discharging option which will fully discharge the battery also, making the reconditioning work at both ends of the battery capacity. I don't know that anyone really knows yet from experience whether the 100% or the 80% refurbishment produce better results in the end. Lots of us "feel" that the 100% refurbishment is better.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lets not forget a third option, Some of the Maintenance charger owners have upgraded to the GCO1, and the traded in Maintenence chargers are available for some good discounts.
These 350ma Smart chargers are fully compatible with the discharger, and the datalogger, and depending on the model GCIM1 (7-190V) or GCM1 full 7-250V range, it is not a lot more money than the dumb charger that Jeff is selling that is based on my original design.
http://99mpg.com/Data/resources/down...dchargerv1.pdf
cost breakdown:
grid charger/balancer

yes you still need a harness, so that adds to the cost, but there is so much difference in functionality that these Maintenance chargers are a pretty good deal.
Mike Dabrowski 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Thanks for help and information

i appreciate the information and help like i said i am new to this so thank you!
j.goebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.