Parking Heater by Webasto - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Parking Heater by Webasto

Anyone seen these in action?

Parking Heater
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles. It's no DogBite, but it's the Cat's Meow!

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
(Still needs stuff...but now
FOR SALE
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I'm also curious if anyone has seen one or how much they cost. I'm considering using a diesel one in my electric conversion so that way I'm not compromising range by heating the car and also getting a significantly faster heatup time. 7.45 hours of 4.2kw heating per gallon.

That's 14330 BTU/hr heating capacity too, the car would be hot much faster than the gas engine could heat it.
Cost comparison: 4.2kw * 7.45 hours = $3.44 at 11 cents/kwh We're roughly on par with the price of a liquid fuel with this setup in comparison to electric heat.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have one in my truck. For use in a all elec vehical would be prctical. The small units will still "burn you out" of the car if on too hgh. They can be had for about 300-600 on ebay new. Unit works great and will run 24hrs on about a gal of diesel (on low). ESPAR also makes one-and both also have units that both heats and heats coolant for block heater use. In your case, id recomend the espar block heater that could be used for your defrost/heater core, as the bunk heater wouldnt be needed.
2000 #1007 orig owner
mt/ac,
First insight to twist the camshaft
biododge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

They use fuel from the tank, so it lasts as long as you have fuel. And they heat up the coolant, so I think it is spliced into the heater hose.

Here's the write up in translated English:

"All Webasto parking heaters work according to the same principle and ensure a pleasant feel-good climate in a very efficient way:

When you activate your parking heater with one of our controls a flame appears in the heater's combustion chamber.
The vehicle's cooling water passes through the heater and is warmed by the flame.
The hot coolant continues to the vehicle heater's heat exchanger.
The heat is then blown directly into the passenger compartment by the fan. Snow frost and ice simply melt - leaving clear windows.
The warm water flows on to the engine. This is also heated up.
The cycle begins again once the warm cooling water has flowed back to the heater.
"
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles. It's no DogBite, but it's the Cat's Meow!

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
(Still needs stuff...but now
FOR SALE
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

It is called "Standheizung" (stand heat) and has been common in Europe since the late '70s.

It is nothing else than a small heater which draws fuel out of your gas tank and heats the inside of the car, and optional the engine. It is mostly used to heat the inside of the car.

You have a little box with buttons and display inside you car. You can program it at which time to come on and off.

They work very well, are around $800 without installation. They are not worthwhile to me. If not plugged in at home, I dress warm, have the car free of snow within 5 minutes (free exercise). One starting to drive, it only takes a few minutes to get lukewarm air.

Overall there is no saving. You spend money in getting one of these for convenience. But they burn petrol, polluting the air.

A seat warmer will work electrical, if you have health issues with your back.

Greetings!
RMasters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezin4 View Post
Anyone seen these in action?

Parking Heater
I installed one on my Dodge diesel truck. It was very efficient. Programmed to come on about 20 minutes before my commute and the engine was up to about 150F. Made cold start in winter very easy and heater blew hot air immediately. I loved it. That said... took a fairly lengthy install and even though I got a unit cheaply on eBay it never paid for itself in savings. In summer my fuel consumption unloaded was in the mid 20s. In winter without the heater it would drop to high teens. With the heater it was back into the low 20s. So, unless you are doing huge mileage it would take years to pay off.

Mind you most of the mods we do are for convenience/pleasure and it was amazing in the coldest winter night to jump in and have the truck warm in 30 seconds. The downside... pretty high amperage draw and I installed a second battery and ran it off a completely isolated circuit to make sure I never drained the main battery. The motor that circulates the coolant has a high amp draw... I recall somewhere around 15-30 amps.

Also, the diesel version blew a small amount of diesel smoke on start up and you could smell the diesel burning even parked outside. I would never have run it in the garage.

I would bet one of these would heat our little engines in about 5 minutes!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the info on your usage. I'm thinking that for an EV this would be excellent, I'd probably just get a small metal tank that holds about a liter of diesel under the hood to run one. If I get one for $300 on eBay and tie it into the heater core I think it would be great. 4.2kw or whatever the output of the one that I get for a good cost from ebay would be excellent for getting the cabin warm quickly. The high output is essential in MN for keeping the windsheild clear of frost on both the inside and outside and the typical 1.5kw definitely isn't hot and 3kw is a little light for this climate IMHO but a 4.5-5.5kw electric element plumbed in from an electric water heater, although very cheap to purchase is a huge use of electricity in comparison to how much I'd need to cruise down the road, granted I wouldn't need to run it that long to get things warm. The reality is that I'll probably plumb in both because if free charging stations continue to pop up and they show up at a grocery store or something, I could come back to a warm car with the ice and snow melted off in bad weather without paying for it.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Eli

Send a message via AIM to Eli Send a message via MSN to Eli

This is awesome. Thanks for posting.

I agree, this would be excellent for an EV.

Yes, you're still using some fossil fuels, but at least it's nearly 100% efficient use of said fuel.

Home of the MAXIMA performance IMA battery.

503-730-8786
eli@bumblebeebatteries.com
Bumblebee Batteries, LLC

Bumblebee Hybrid Fleet:
2000 MT Insight @ 250k; 2001 MT Insight @ 475k; 2001 MT Insight @ 160k; 2003 MT HCH @ 160k; 2006 CVT HCH2 @ 205k; 2007 CVT FEH @ 210k.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.