P1565 Error IMA light - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default P1565 Error IMA light

Hi all, I am 2nd owner of a 2002 Insight with 125K miles. I've had the car for about 6 months with no issues. The car has been extremely well maintained during its life by the previous owner.

I did something rather silly today, I've been in the habit of downshifting to stop, that seems like the best way to get charge to the battery for the longest time. Today, I performed a rather violent downshift into second while traveling fairly fast. Dumb I know. Immediately I got a IMA and check engine light. Charge and assist stopped working and now starter motor is what starts car instead of IMA.

Later that day I used my Ultragauge to diagnose and saw P1565 error. Resetting the error temporarily turned the lights off and the car started with IMA but lights immediately came back on.

Reading on this forum, it appears to be a commutation error, but any ideas why this would occur when the downshift happened. Any suggestions on how to repair?

thanks
paradiddlepaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I got a P1565 when the top right pin in the far left connector on the MCM pushed out just a bit. Pushed it back in and reconnected it and no more code. If you have been working back there it might be worth a look.
Good luck with it.
markw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

How fast were you going in third when you shifted to second?
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 343K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

The ultragauge cannot clear IMA codes correctly, so unless you have my OBDIIC&C or a Honda Tool you will need to pull the 12v battery + cable for a minute or the fuse under the dash/hood to clear the code properly from the MCM. Try that first.

The commutation error is quite rare but has been known to be caused by bad connections at the plug on the top of the IMA motor and in the rear of the car.

As your fault scenario is apparently connected with a specific event, eg downshift and perhaps over reving the engine that may have been detected by the MCM as motor over speed and or commutation fault. If the fault comes back immediately after clearing it properly then you will have to go through the diagnosis steps in the manual.

If that doesn't reveal any faults it's a very remote possibility you might have physically damaged a sensor in situ. I have seen sensors with the tops erroded by the commutation plate making contact with them. I did post some pics of that in anolther thread. Search for the fault code number on here to see what others have said. Unfortunately visually checking or replacing the commutation sensors is a gearbox out job.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 12-19-2012 at 01:08 AM.
retepsnikrep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Check the ground straps perhaps as well as if the motor flexes heavily from bad rear engine mount on sudden deceleration it could have broken a strap, pulled the strap out of loose contact if already broken, or maybe tugged on a harness.

Breakage of a ground wire on a quick slowing downshift to 2nd coming to a stop happened to me last year when I noticed a sound like a guitar string breaking in the engine bay upon hard braking with the downshift.,, but no code was thrown. The ground straps being broken can cause difficulties is reported.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I did try the battery disconnect for several minutes, but when reconnected and started the trouble lights came right back on as before. I looked for ground strap breakages on the 4 ground straps and they looked ok. So it sounds like I need to go through the diagnosis steps in the manual. I'm not sure which manual you mean though, can you point me to that? Also, can I trust my Ultragauge to report the correct error code?

Regarding the question on downshift speed, I was probably going 45 or so in 5th when I downshifted into second, again not a smart thing to do.

Thanks guys, I obviously need to get this fixed, hopefully it won't need to go to to the Honda dealer!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddlepaul View Post
/// So it sounds like I need to go through the diagnosis steps in the manual. I'm not sure which manual you mean though, can you point me to that? ///
There's a repair manual as pdf compressed in zip files downloadable via a sticky post at the head of the forum along with lots of other great info. There is a pdf google doc from the advanced diagnostics specifically for DTC P1565 (42): Motor Commutation Signal Problem in the Advanced Diagnostics section.
Also obdii codes with links to posts etc can be searched via a google doc spread sheet.
Engine P-Codes Diagnostics etc Google Spreadsheet

AbCaRed00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Changing down from 45 into second will not over rev the engine as you can do 70+mph in second before the car hits the rev limiter. However perhaps your change was so rough it jerked the transmission/ motor in some way.

As stated you will have to do the diagnosis steps now, good luck.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am looking at the IMA_SWSYSTEM.pdf file that has the diagnostic procedure. It says to remove the motor commutation sensor connector (10P), however I cannot find anywhere where it actually shows where that connector is. Is it accessible from the engine compartment, if so where is it exactly?

I suspect that connector more than anything at this point since that is near the parts that moved the most when the downshift occurred.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Honda Automotive Parts

It's number 12 on that diagram... looks like it should be on the back upper side of the IMA motor.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.