Standard Sized Speakers. - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Default Standard Sized Speakers.

The latest addition to the fleet is sooo nice, and so tidy, that I'm reluctant to chop the door cards about the fit my current component speakers.

Has anybody found a 3way speaker, or component speakers that fit into the standard speaker holes please?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

2000 New Formula Red G1 Insight
105,000 miles
Mark Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've been looking for new speakers just a few days ago, and trust me, drop-in replacements that don't sound like crap are hard to find. Unless, perhaps, you can find something online.

I ended up getting some speakers that aren't drop in, but with a little trimming of the speaker cup, speaker, and speaker grill, they'll fit. The car will still look completely stock; you wont even be able to tell anything was changed.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I've been looking for new speakers just a few days ago, and trust me, drop-in replacements that don't sound like crap are hard to find. Unless, perhaps, you can find something online.

I ended up getting some speakers that aren't drop in, but with a little trimming of the speaker cup, speaker, and speaker grill, they'll fit. The car will still look completely stock; you wont even be able to tell anything was changed.
The current Insight has the largest components I could fit in the door behind the current grilles without being visually any different from std, took a lot of cutting & some creative use of MDF.

The new Insight being so really tidy & standard I'd like to avoid hacking the doors if possible.
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

105,000 miles
Old 12-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

You mean coaxial speaker? I was happy with my Polk dxi650 except that one was defective (I bought an open-box return).

You do have to screw into the plastic since it doesn't fit stock holes, and you have to modify the grill a little bit, but I felt the modifications were minimal since they're not visible after installation and no significant hacking is required (plastic cups behind the speakers stay intact).

Details:
Picking up my Insight in OR tomorrow!
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mark, the best sounding 'standard fit' speakers I have had to date have been Focal Access 165's, which are 60W RMS each. I wish I still had them now. However I can't remember if they were slightly too deep and so may need some trimming to the inside of the speaker basket.

2005 Insight, UK Spec Silver 5 speed with Grid Charger, IMA C&C, Alpine head unit & subwoofer & iPod link, Focal component speakers, Matiz rear springs, Shark Fin aerial, 165/70/14 Continental tyres, Garmin EcoRoute HD, sound deadened rear shelf, 'InsightCentral' number plates, 19" rear wiper, K&N filter
Previous owner of 1999 Japanese Silver 5sp, 2001 UK Citrus 5sp & 2000 Japanese Red CVT
Honda Insight - An extraordinary car for ordinary people

Last edited by The Citrus Smoothie; 12-20-2012 at 06:50 PM.
The Citrus Smoothie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to jonnyvtec

I'm keen to upgrade aswell.

I looked at Albads Insight on Monday, a fair amount of modification to the grille to allow the tweeter to package on his JBL and the speakers were on MDF rings, i assume to clear the speaker basket.
jonnyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

The doors are easy to find speakers for. I currently am using the Pyle 3 ways I purchased from Amazon, $16 for the pair shipped
HERE HERE

I think they will work for the back as well, but I went deeper magnets in the rear and now regret it. I will probably pick up another pair of these when they drop in price again.
Future Mods: Grid Charger | Cruise Control | MIMA
ManOfKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

I'm thus far drawing a total blank. I've been to a couple of places with a door card that I have & they can't find anything that fits, All of the 160mm speakers need a 125mm min hole size & the Insight is 120mm.
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

105,000 miles
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Had very good luck with Polk Audio DXI650s

Had good luck with installing Polk Audio DXI 650s this past weekend. Emphasis on the s in the name, for shallow mount.

And, I was able to use the original Honda speaker mounting holes with this set, as there were holes that lined up. Had to use the longer screws that came with the speakers, however.

Had to trim about 1/4 inch on the bottom part of the cone in the door on one side to clear the capacitor.

Was able to use factory Honda speaker cover by trimming the ribs on the inside to clear the tweeter.

If you go to Crutchfield.com and type in your car information, it can help you pick some speakers that will fit. I think there are some Infiiniti speakers that fit with little trouble also.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFuelTim View Post
Had good luck with installing Polk Audio DXI 650s this past weekend. Emphasis on the s in the name, for shallow mount.

And, I was able to use the original Honda speaker mounting holes with this set, as there were holes that lined up. Had to use the longer screws that came with the speakers, however.

Had to trim about 1/4 inch on the bottom part of the cone in the door on one side to clear the capacitor.

Was able to use factory Honda speaker cover by trimming the ribs on the inside to clear the tweeter.

If you go to Crutchfield.com and type in your car information, it can help you pick some speakers that will fit. I think there are some Infiiniti speakers that fit with little trouble also.

My 0.02 worth,
Tim Glover
Thanks, but can't get the Polks here.
IMA C&C (to be fitted)
ODBII C&C

105,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.