Ultra mileage vehicle! - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > Modifications and Technical Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Eli,

No disrespect at all, but I routinely get 138mpg at 65mph. My record for a 25 mile stretch was 152mpg at 60mph (measuring the fuel consumed and calculating).
Insight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

My goal is to retain as much of the original looks of the Insight as possible at this time. However, changes will need to be made to clean up the aerodynamics of the vehicle, but nothing too radical. The ideal shape is a tandem seating arrangement or better yet a single seat commuter (look at the cars on the highway! Nearly all have only one person in them!). A reduction in weight, frontal area and tapering of the rear is mandatory. Gotta think outside the box.

Radical and unorthodox changes will need to take place with the engine and fuel systems. The IMA is only used for acceleration and is dead weight for a mileage attempt.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to retepsnikrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight69 View Post
Eli,

No disrespect at all, but I routinely get 138mpg at 65mph. My record for a 25 mile stretch was 152mpg at 60mph (measuring the fuel consumed and calculating).
Assuming this was in a G1 Insight how exactly did you measure the fuel consumed for 25 miles?

138mpg US at 65mph (for how long?)

You'll need to back up these sorts of claims with some decent evidence for the sceptics and knowledgeable people on here.

I look forward to seeing your posts on the mpg supercar.

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 01-28-2013 at 09:17 AM.
retepsnikrep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post
Assuming this was in a G1 Insight how exactly did you measure the fuel consumed for 25 miles?

You'll need to back up these sorts of claims with some decent evidence for the sceptics and knowledgeable people on here.

On each of the runs, the fuel tank was filled completely to the neck after purging the fuel tank of air (a lengthy fueling process). After the 25 mile run the tank was measured on the refill. The 138 mpg is routinely done on my weekly drives between Houston and New Orleans (365 miles). Obviously, many factors affect the results ie: traffic, wind, temp, not paying close attention to the gauge and sometimes the car just runs better (it has an attitude at times).
Old 01-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivko57 View Post
It is possible, but the end result would not be so glamorous as it will resemble the cars (vehicles) specially made for extreme MPG.

And since it will be a conversion the MPG will not be so extreme , and the vehicle will look weird.

One easy way is to remove the roof and the pillars, gut the interior and remove passenger seat, create a cock pit like in a jet fighter plane , (just for the driver ) and close the huge gap with a fiberglass or carbon fiber sheet. Make that cockpit roof(cover)out of plexiglass and on hinges so you can enter from there, remove the doors and seal with carbon fiber sheets the openings. Make a carbon fiber hood and replace the present one. Inflate the tires to 70 psi, clean the engine , get a brand new ima battery , remove the under body paneling and put carbon fiber sheets instead. Make a carbon fiber aero tail.

Loose weight if you have accumulated some over the years like me , the driver being 130 lb versus 230 helps too.

It will look like an ugly home made flying saucer at the end, but will be much closer to 200 mpg than a regular insight .

P.s: check if you will be allowed to drive the end result as it may be not street legal...

Sounds like you are saying to convert it into something like a Messerschmitt

TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezin4 View Post
Remove EPS system. Remove rear wiper. Remove antenna and cable.

Why do you want to move the rad to the rear? I think the extra piping and coolant will add considerable weight....
freezin4,

Theoretically at least, the biggest reason for putting the radiator in the rear, is at speed, there is a slight vacuum at the rear of the car relative to the front, and placing the radiator there automatically means more theoretical air flow without needing a fan to pull the air through.

I can't recall the name of the racing motorcycle right now, but about 10 years ago, and young and very creative engineer put the radiator under the rear seat cowling with great result. Very interesting to look at. The cycle was a 1000cc V-twin of his own design.

The extra piping, as you mentioned is something else to consider however, especially on a car. The motorcycle piping is naturally much shorter.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Insight69

Please post your location, maybe other Insighters can get together with you and witness one of your massive mileage claims.
(I once got 150+ for 29 miles)....per the FCD

Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 338K mi. @ 57.8 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepsnikrep View Post

I agree with Peter on this.

After much engine-off-coasting out on....
1) old country roads
2) in the summer time (hot temps)
3) flat roads
4) no traffic
5) engine off coasting where ever possible
6) speeds under 35 mph
7) no wind

.... I can usually get 130mpg to 150mpg.

On several long drives over 150 miles, I have seen the car average 105 mpg at something close to 55 mph, in the summer, no wind, etc.

I have never seen my FCD display anything close to 130 mpg at 65 mph, so I too would like to get confirmation on your claim.

DiamondLarry may need to chime in on this as well.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 01-28-2013 at 01:39 PM.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight69 View Post
On each of the runs, the fuel tank was filled completely to the neck after purging the fuel tank of air (a lengthy fueling process). After the 25 mile run the tank was measured on the refill. The 138 mpg is routinely done on my weekly drives between Houston and New Orleans (365 miles). Obviously, many factors affect the results ie: traffic, wind, temp, not paying close attention to the gauge and sometimes the car just runs better (it has an attitude at times).
If you don't mind me asking, why have you done to your insight to achieve almost double what I'm getting in pretty much the same car at the same speed?
Ocean '00 MT, Continental Eco Contact 5's, Grid Charger with timer, TPS Mod, OBDII C&C gauge, 12v solar charger, IMA solar charger (now removed), Warm air mod (during winter), Lower grill block (during winter), 6.5in touchscreen HU, 5000k HIDs
Bugone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Not impossible: Here's a 1-Liter car

actually does a "liter" better... .9L/100KM.
About the same weight as a Gen1 Insight, too.
Mostly carbon-fiber and with a slightly smaller (800cc) TD ICE.

Set for limited-run production this year!

So it IS possible, just may be extremely difficult for a gen1 to get there.

So here's the link that I left out at first... you can google the VW XL1 if they disallow the link.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us...hicle-in-qatar

Last edited by lacertus; 01-28-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Forgot the link (duh!)
lacertus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel efficient, hyper, mileage, modification, mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.