Super MPG - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Ive been trying to think of a way to exploit that little quirk and try to get it to happen on a more regular basis.
Your still using fuel though, the computer is just not reading it.
Ocean '00 MT, Continental Eco Contact 5's, Grid Charger with timer, TPS Mod, OBDII C&C gauge, 12v solar charger, IMA solar charger (now removed), Warm air mod (during winter), Lower grill block (during winter), 6.5in touchscreen HU, 5000k HIDs
Bugone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed View Post
....Then add on top of that the stupid car has a mind of its own lately. I left work and about a mile down the road the charge hit 72.0 (as expected) and would not charge any higher, 10 miles later it got to something in the 67% range and started to charge at 6 amps while I was going up a slight hill, dropping the fcd to 55 mpg instead of the usual 70mpg for that hill. During the summer I was able to go as low as 42% without it charging. I was lucky to get over 71 mpg on the way home tonight.
Well, our "stupid" little car also get stupidly high gas mileage.

I did some coast down tests several years back and noticed that between colder air temperatures, and higher air density, that there is at least a 17% loss in efficiency in the winter, compared to summer.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

On the condition where the FCD is working correctly and not stuck:
When the engne is burning the vapor from the canistor wouldn't the O2 sensors just correct the final mixture to the fuel/air ratio that the computer wants to see? i.e. reduce the injector pulse width slightly.

If so it would seem that the computer would then indicate a higher fuel mileage based on the reduced pulse width. But realistically how much fuel vapor mileage can the canister give you?

When you fill up the gas hose sucks the fuel vapors into the stations equipment as the tank fills up. So if you don't overfill the tank there shouldn't be an extra amount of vapors going into the canister. It seems the the vacuum might even tend to purge the cansiter somewhat.

If you overfill the tank can the canister have raw fuel in it? That might extend your indicated mileage for awhile. On my CRX the canister is at the front of the car and it would take a real force feeding to get raw fuel up there.
1962 Henny Kilowatt, 40 miles/charge @ 40 mph
http://dmr-architect.com/~locouki/
olrowdy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Today I filled up to only half a tank, and I still got this phenomenon.
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

I actually get worse mpg right after fill up. My engine usually runs rough and the car feels like it has less power. I always attributed it to the engine getting colder fuel than what was already in the line so the colder fuel doesn't vaporize as well right before combustion.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

I know that I did not overfill the tank. I have only noticed this twice, but I fill up at a number of different stations. Maybe the tank nozzle was not properly sucking back the vapors. The fcd was not pegged at 150, was running around 125 but moved up and down depending on acceleration.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, vapors from the charcoal canister. I've had cases where the FCD was pegged at 150 mpg for about 6 miles after a fill despite some generous throttle applications. Ive been trying to think of a way to exploit that little quirk and try to get it to happen on a more regular basis.
I think that this is a glitch in the ECM which pops up from time to time when you FAS the car. I've seen it myself. If you come to a stop and turn off the ignition for a minute, I think you will see your FCD return to a more "normal" display. I got this information from rightlancruiser, whom I think you know.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime View Post
I think that this is a glitch in the ECM which pops up from time to time when you FAS the car. I've seen it myself. If you come to a stop and turn off the ignition for a minute, I think you will see your FCD return to a more "normal" display. I got this information from rightlancruiser, whom I think you know.
Yes, that is a separate glitch though. What I mentioned above is only temporary (about 5-6 miles after a fillup), where the glitch you a speaking of is permanent until such time as the ignition is very briefly blipped off then back on.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that is a separate glitch though. What I mentioned above is only temporary (about 5-6 miles after a fillup), where the glitch you a speaking of is permanent until such time as the ignition is very briefly blipped off then back on.
OK, I see the distinction you are making. I'll have to look for the full tank effect
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Stupid battery again. When I got to work today the battery was around 71.5%. Temp this morning was around 15f. For the last two months I have been watching the battery very carefully. With the cold temps and headlights it will force charge at 65%, so I do my best to keep it in the 69-72 range. It won't charge above 72.

So I leave work today and drive about 36 miles, hitting 72% at almost every stop. I stop T a cross road a few miles from home, again hitting 72%. Right after I take off I look at the obdii c&c gauge, now the battery is at 79.8%. As I watch it it is burning off an amp or more as I drive down the road. At least it seemed to be burning it down with the electric motor, great mpgs while it did that. Today might have been the warmest day in over two months, I never had to use the heater on the way home.

At about 76% it stopped burning it down, but still would not take any regen.

I know what will happen, I will get in the car the next time and it will probably indicate 65% or something like that and start a force charge again. Stupid battery.......

Last edited by Need4Speed; 03-22-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.