Super MPG - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Super MPG

I have a 40 mile one way drive to work and have a CVT. This morning I needed to gas up, about 30 miles into the drive. The temp was around 40F, damp roads but no spray to windshield, sides of car are wet. My MPG over the first 30 miles was around 77.7 MPG, so I was happy with that under the conditions. I filled the tank, logged the numbers, and left the gas station. A mile or so down the road I looked down at the FCD and it was sitting around 125 MPG. The road there is flat and level, and I was running my usual 40 MPH. Under the weather conditions I would have expected about 80 MPG. It ran around 125 MPG for about 4 miles, I then hit a hill, and afterwards was running about the normal MPG I would expect. At the end of the 4 miles the trip computer indicated over 95 MPG since leaving the gas station. The whole time it was running at 125 MPG I kept looking at the OBDII C&C gauge. Everything looked normal, except the injectors were running around 0.9x to 1.0x. The AFR also seemed normal, with the numbers flickering between 14.5 and 14.6. After the 4 miles or so the injectors went back to what I would expect, around 1.6x to 1.7x. I had a similar experiance about 3 months ago. I filled up at a different gas station, and in an uphill stretch that I would have expected around 80 MPG I was getting 100 MPG. The last 10 miles or so to work are the hardest on the MPG, and I got to work today with 76.1 MPG for the drive, 75.9 for the 10.4 miles from the gas station.

Anyone know what is up with this? Nothing else looked out of place on the OBDII C&C, and the car seemed to be running normal. On the 5 speed cars, while running in lean burn, I assume that the AFR goes up on the gauge, correct? I did not over fill the tank, let it shut off, pulled the handle until it clicked once again, then was done. I always shut off the car when filling up. MPG for that tank was 70.9 according to the trip computer, 68.5 according to my gas fillup (but the car is tilted at this station, my numbers are always slightly low when I fill up there).

What was up with this? Any ideas? I want to do this all the time!

Last edited by Need4Speed; 12-07-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

this happens to me also after a fillup, and lasts for a couple of miles. (I also only fill to the first click)

Here is a thread about it:
Huge mpg boost after filling up

and

Better gas mileage with new fillup?
02insight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had something similar happen about two years ago.

Scenario:

Warmer temps outside
No MIMA or FAS at the time
No OBDII C&C gage
Performing key-off FASing down a stretch of flat road
After one of the key-off's, the FCD reported 150 mpg, solid
About 1/4 mile down road, keyed-off again, and the glitch stopped

I have no explanation for what happened.

Jim.
3-Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

So you've got a few things going on here, first it is cold and damp so the air is very dense with high humidity. I have a theory that this dense damp air can actually increase your compression thus giving you better engine power, this accounts for the good MPG before you filled up. When I was in the Air Force some of our older tanker aircraft would inject water into the jet engine exhaust during takeoff to increase the thrust of the engine, kind of like a poor mans after burner.

Once you filled up then you got to experiance the other thing others here on the forum have seen, increased MPG after a full filling of the gas tank. The leading theory for this is that as you fill the gas tank you are pushing fuel saturated vapors into the evap canister. Once you get back on the road you are pulling and burning these enriched vapors from the canister for an extra MPG boost.
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Insight loves damp humid air.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Usually it's extra gas got into the charcoal vapor canister and is being burned in the engine outside the normal path... you get "free" gas vapors from the canister and the engine doesn't have to inject as much fuel.

Sam
-IMAC&C
-Lower grill block

RIP 2000 Insight, 40k miles @ 69.2 mpg
samwichse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, vapors from the charcoal canister. I've had cases where the FCD was pegged at 150 mpg for about 6 miles after a fill despite some generous throttle applications. Ive been trying to think of a way to exploit that little quirk and try to get it to happen on a more regular basis.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Other than the 4 or so miles after leaving the station my mpg was not real good today (I did make it to work today at just over 75 mpg). The colder weather hurts the mpg, driving with the headlights on does not help (sucks down the battery), and then on top of that the damp humid air also hurts the mpg. I had a number of tanks this summer over 77 mpg, and with the cold, dark, damp weather of winter I have already dropped about 10 mpg since October. Then add on top of that the stupid car has a mind of its own lately. I left work and about a mile down the road the charge hit 72.0 (as expected) and would not charge any higher, 10 miles later it got to something in the 67% range and started to charge at 6 amps while I was going up a slight hill, dropping the fcd to 55 mpg instead of the usual 70mpg for that hill. During the summer I was able to go as low as 42% without it charging. I was lucky to get over 71 mpg on the way home tonight.

Last edited by Need4Speed; 12-07-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

That's pretty good out of a CVT, nothing to complain about that's for sure!
gilbertguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
eq1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Yep, vapors from the charcoal canister. I've had cases where the FCD was pegged at 150 mpg for about 6 miles after a fill despite some generous throttle applications. Ive been trying to think of a way to exploit that little quirk and try to get it to happen on a more regular basis.
Do 'vapors from the charcoal canister' factor in to the FCD calculations of fuel economy?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.