2001 CVT MPG Issues!! - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2001 CVT MPG Issues!!

Hey Guys.

I'm new here and new to my Insight and new to hybrids all together. A little bit about myself. I'm a mustang man for one. I love mustangs and have owned many. But I work 75 miles away from where I live. 150 round trip. I knew I had to get something that got better than 21 mpg. I do know how to hyper mile though. Have had my 89 mustang gt with a slightly built engine up to 28 mpg.

Bought it for $5350. 2001 cvt silver with 107k miles

Right now my trip consists of 41 miles on the interstate running 65-75mph and the rest is about 60% 55mph highway and 40% city.

Enough of the small talk. Here's my concerns. At best, I'm only averaging 44.01 (with tank fill up calculating, not fcd) I have had my insight for about two weeks now and have been researching. Honestly, if I can get to 50 mpg, ill be ecstatic because that's enough that I'd save in gas to pay car payment, insurance increase and still have a little left.

I checked the plugs. I know I need new plugs. It has ngk A's and my engine is an all B engine. Would anyone recommend put back in some ngk b's or go with honda oem?

Also one of my coils has a little dry rot in the boot, I can see where it's arc over the ceramic.

Will replace the plugs and atleast one coil first.

I tried the radiator block last night on a trip to town. 55 mph highway. But it was around 30 degrees. Is that too chilly?

Also got the tires set at 40 psi. Probably will go up to 44 though. The ima seems to be discharging and charging correctly and plan to go to synthetic oil soon.

Anyone got any other tips and tricks?! I know I can get atleast 50mpg with y'all's help but I don't want to do much body mods and I don't want the pulse and glide method. I drive down a very busy interstate and will probably get killed!

Any and all help is appreciated.
Cperrigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would recommend filling the tires even more than sidewall max, most of us run them between 50 and 60 psi.
60 psi tires, Rear belly pan, EPS fuse removed, all wiper delete, passenger mirror delete. 09/05. 2006 Red cvt 88k miles for sale
Insight for life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Make sure you have the correct tires. The ones that came on the car are the only ones to use. You must have the correct brand and size. Even the correct manufacturer but a different size will kill your mpg. Members have said that just about any other brand will drop your mpg by around 10 mpg.

Slow down. Going from 70 to 60 is probably worth 8 mpg.

Do you have the correct 0w20 oil? Thicker oil will cut your mpg.

Do you have all of the underbody aero shields?

Last edited by Need4Speed; 12-22-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ill try pumping up the tires to 50psi. Does this effect the handling at all? Sounds like not much tread would be coming in contact with the road. Lol

It had Michelin harmony tires on it. I'm guessing these ain't stock but they're about brand new so it'll be a while before I change them. Ill be changing the oil to some Mobil 1 next weekend. Or royal purple if I can find it in 0w 20. And I'll have to check the underbody.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

And.......put your location in your profile, so others can determine what terrain you are driving on. Like N4S says, you must use the OEM tries for max mpg.
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
And.......put your location in your profile, so others can determine what terrain you are driving on. Like N4S says, you must use the OEM tries for max mpg.
Ok I'll change that soon. Middle Tennessee thought. Pretty hilly. But not too bad.

Like I said tho, if I could that that few more up to 50 mpg I'd be satisfied. I'd like more but, with all the hills around here and my high rate of speed on the interstate, I think 60 is possible with the numbers I've seen around here.

Also I run non ethanol gas which raised it from 40.9 to the 44.01mpg I have now. So there's a tip to anyone that has it available to them. And it's only about 10 cents more a gallon so well worth it and prolly much better for the small engines we have.

And has anyone tried a small hydrogen generator? My buddy that i carpool with made one for his accord and he went from 27 to 32 mpg and he drives very aggressive.

I think I may make one. Seems like that may duplicate the effects of a lean burn.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome to the world of the Insight! A quick note on the oil change, make sure you don't over-fill it. Keep it somewhere between the two marks on the dipstick. Overfilling can be a mileage killer too. It will take about 2.5 quarts, maybe a smidge less.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
Welcome to the world of the Insight! A quick note on the oil change, make sure you don't over-fill it. Keep it somewhere between the two marks on the dipstick. Overfilling can be a mileage killer too. It will take about 2.5 quarts, maybe a smidge less.
Thanks! The guy had it changed right before I got it. Well I checked it this morning and noticed it is barely above the full dot.

What's y'all's opinion on the plugs? The different between a the a's and b's are are only 45 degrees right? So me having a's in my all b engine should hurt it much?
Old 12-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cperrigo View Post
Thanks! The guy had it changed right before I got it. Well I checked it this morning and noticed it is barely above the full dot.

What's y'all's opinion on the plugs? The different between a the a's and b's are are only 45 degrees right? So me having a's in my all b engine should hurt it much?
It won't do anything to the engine but it would presumably effect mpg. How much is hard to say though.

Sounds like somebody may have put a tad too much oil in. I usually shoot for around half way between the dots.
Calpod switch
Warm air mod
Grill block
EPS fuse removed
FAS/fuel injector interrupt circuit
grid charger
OBDII C&C gauge
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

You said something about duplicating the effort of lean burn......US cvt insights don't have lean burn.....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.