????? mpg - Page 2 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thank you for such a quick response, appreciated. Tires are Bridgestone, P165/65 R14. You seems to know more, please share your ideas to help me increase mpg, Thanks again
Christian
chamida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Terrain and weather will have a direct impact on your mpg also.
Inflate the tires to at least 40 PSI.
Please put your location in your profile/details/location.

Thanks
Enjoy the family.

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 346K mi. @ 58.0 LMPG

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...d-insight.html
http://www.seattleeva.org/wiki/User:...ies_Red_Rocket
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/.../message/12630
Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thank to replying, but no her driving hasn't changed. the mileage 120*** and i changed the tire pressure but only went up to 36mpg. Sorry i dont know what an egr valve and plate are.
redinsight2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thank to replying, but no her driving hasn't changed. the mileage 120*** and i changed the tire pressure but only went up to 36mpg. Sorry i dont know what an egr valve and plate are.
redinsight2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redinsight2010 View Post
Jennifer,

Ok. EGR plate: So you can either (1.) come to my house and I can show you,or (2.) take it to a mechanic and ask them to show you, or (3.) do a search on this site.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your mom's Battery Control Module and Engine Control Unit were both replaced with the battery at the dealer, which may account for some drop in MPG because of the way the charging is now more aggressive.

Have you checked the oil level like Larry recommended? Dealers usually overfill.

Also check the under body spoiler panels. make sure they are in place.
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamida View Post
Its my first time, to ask a question, I bought Insight 2000 model with 153000 miles on it, have put 4000 miles more on it, without any major problem, but i have the same problem of low mileage,48 mpg, wish to do 70-80 mpg, where to find EGR valve and the plate in the car,catalytic converter is v dirty, any good place to buy? How about installing the grid charger to charge up battery? any driving techniques to improve mpg? I have changed spark plug twice and replaced # 3 coil too, it didn't help, Any suggestions? please help.
Chamida,

What's the Lifetime Average MPG of the car?
Any OBD codes? Check your underbody panels. Are they there? Aired up tires? Oil is not overfilled? The brakes aren't dragging are they? Did you put the CORRECT (A,B, or C) plugs in the engine? You said the CAT converter was very dirty. How was this diagnosed? If you need a replacement, I would recommend Majestic Honda Parts in RI. Just google them.
But aside from all that, the biggest factor for increasing MPGs is right behind the wheel. Describe your typical commute. Elevation, speed, distances. There are some special techniques you can learn which would help you increase the efficiency. Search for Pulse and glide. And there are some discussions on shifting techniques too. Also, make sure your A/C is off (look in owners manual to be sure you understand the HVAC operation 100%.
The 2000 Insight EPA rating is 49 mpg City and 61 Hiway according to the new calculation. See: Compare Old and New Estimates
Grid charger is to help condition the battery...it's daily use to increase mpg is controversial.
Just wondering what makes you think you should be getting 70 or 80 mpgs? Have you driven another one before and have gotten those numbers? Do you know someone who is getting those numbers? In these winter temperatures? Do some more search on this site and then set yourself some realistic goals. (Whatever those numbers may be.)
Looking forward to hearing your answers to all these questions.
Silver 2001 Insight 5spd - #0160 *Joined the Stable of a Fellow Insighter*: 275+K miles
(Had some bruises, needed some stuff...but I still loved it.)

Citrus w/ A/C 112K miles

Citrus w/ A/C - #2083
270K miles
Sold to a fellow Insight owner.

Last edited by freezin4; 01-20-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: add grid chg info
freezin4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Williford View Post
Terrain and weather will have a direct impact on your mpg also.
Inflate the tires to at least 40 PSI.
Please put your location in your profile/details/location.

Thanks
Enjoy the family.

HTH
Willie
Dear Willie, Appreciated your fast reply, I will raise them to 40, will watch and let you know, i reallly like this site, believe i will find answers here. i have updated my profile fast after your suggestion, thank you.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Dear Freezin4, I appreciated v much for your reply, still waiting to collect all the answers!, will reply soon, again Thank you
Chamida
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redinsight2010 View Post
HI my names jennifer and my mother's own my deceased fathers 2000 honda insight. My mother has been taking really good care of it, but for the last year there's been some problems. we got the ami battery replaced and the oil changed. but the mpg has gone down so low that it's at 30mpg's. I took it back to the honda dealer and they cant find anything wrong with it. I'm hoping that somebody here might be able to help me out by telling me whats the problem so i can get it fixed for her. She loves this car very much. I do have a feeling that the machanics at the honda dealer really dont know what there doing. PLease help if any?
What's an ami battery? Does it stand for Assist, Motor Integrated?
It's obviously not throwing any codes if the dealer can't find any issues with it, so you need to first check on how its being driven. No matter how I drive my tired old Insight, I've never, ever, ever once gotten less than 50mpg on any single trip with it - I could be flooring it up a hill at 85mph and still get better than that - so make sure that basic rules are being followed. furthermore, check the wheel alignment. Hit any bad potholes lately? Screwed up alignment can really mess up your MPGs, especially in a finely-tuned concept car like the Insight. Get a status on common things like the fuel filter, spark plugs, motor oil, and transmission fluid. Also, be watchful for things like using air conditioning or the heater when the car isn't yet fully warmed up; that will really hurt your fuel economy, increase the amount of battery you use and result in more forced charging. Tire pressure has already been mentioned; are you running Bridgestone RE92 tires on the car? Those are the only tires you can run on the Insight to get good fuel economy. And how is the 12v battery? Is it in good shape, or is the IMA battery charging it all the time? Find out by getting it load tested at an AutoZone.
Launched: 8 Aug 2002
Acquired: 19 Dec 2011
Commissioned: 22 Dec 2011
Decommissioned: 15 May 2014
Struck: 24 July 2014
Fate: Parts car for 2000 Insight
RedJellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.