Lean burn - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Go Back   Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum > 1st Generation Honda Insight Forum > MPG Issues

Insightcentral.net is the premier Honda Insight Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lean burn

I recently purchased by 7th first gen Insight and it's a bit unusual. I'm not complaining....the car goes into lean burn easier than any of the the others I've had and holds it there much longer. I can be using cruise and hit a slight incline and it still stays in lean burn. The result is the MPG is a dozen higher than any of my previous 5 speeds. It has the typical potenza's and runs the same as the rest....any idea why a car would hold lean burn so well?
astrolink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe the problem was with the other six?

Sam
MIMA #150
Genesis Charger and Discharger
BumbleBee Battery
OBDIIC&C Gauge
NM license plate KERS
(Kinetic Energy Recovery System)
Alpine Stereo
Scott's front and rear springs
GAZ rear shocks
2003 Lean Burn CVT (Wife's car)
Rainsux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hypermiler / Moderator

Maybe some extra clean egr passages and an extra clean or new egr valve ? Should you ever remove the ecm, pass along the model number.
, IMAC&C
'01 mt, "Silver Glider", 206k,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MIMA
'00 Citrus,,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 176k, MIMA,

Go Navy, or don't go
Mountain driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

It's been a hot summer. Maybe it's the heat.
rhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

It could also have good indexed spark plugs.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolink View Post
I recently purchased by 7th first gen Insight and it's a bit unusual. I'm not complaining....the car goes into lean burn easier than any of the the others I've had and holds it there much longer. I can be using cruise and hit a slight incline and it still stays in lean burn. The result is the MPG is a dozen higher than any of my previous 5 speeds. It has the typical potenza's and runs the same as the rest....any idea why a car would hold lean burn so well?
Check threads by Jeff652 I believe he had a 505 ecu in one of his cars that got much better mileage. Check this thread out. ECU version can have BIG impact on MPGs!
mrchinup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Ecky

My experience with lean burn:

In 5th gear, my car enters lean burn consistently when I let off the pedal until the FCD reads ~100mpg. From there, there's a brief pause and it jumps about 25mpg. Once in lean burn, it will stay there except for occasional NOx purges, indefinitely, unless I press the pedal far enough to drop the FCD below ~70mpg, which is around 2.5-3.5in of vacuum / 95% engine load, which equates to about ~30% throttle at my usual highway speeds.

It will not enter lean burn when the air outside is below ~40F. It will not enter lean burn until the coolant temperature is above... I guess maybe 160F? It will not enter lean burn within ~3 seconds of auto stop. It will not enter lean burn for ~6-10 seconds after using an injector kill switch. It will not enter lean burn above ~72mph, but will stay in lean burn if you accelerate to greater than this speed. It will leave lean burn below ~1000rpm in any gear.

I'd like to hear others' experience with lean burn, if the behavior is any different. I've driven a grand total of 2 Insights, both 2000 models, and both behaved the other behaved the same as mine.
Ecky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Finally, someone other than me that uses a vacuum reading for driving. Check and see what the TPS shows, I believe mine is usually aroung 24%. (23-30% for lean burn) Your figures are real close.

Learn to read the gauge and it will tell you a lot of what the engine is doing.
Timing and vacuum are my mandatory viewing.(especially with the turbo.)

HTH
Willie
MaxIMA Battery (Serial #2), on 8/25/12 @ 301K miles
Use: 395,000 mi. @ 58.0 LMPG.

Willie Williford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sometimes my G1 needs a hard ride to get into lean burn more easily afterwards. I even have seen lean burn + assist recently.
oz42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've been convinced for a while now that the ease of LB is primarily related to the power output of the ICE. With various levels of valve sealing, ring sealing, cam wear, cam timing, etc. the engines probably vary a significant amount in output power. The weak ones don't LB as easily as the strong ones. JMHO of course.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Random Question